Scandinavian Help Needed

Orson

I'm asking assistance from our Scandinavian contingent.

I'm hoping to take the ferry to Bergen then head north to the Lofoten Islands before turning south towards Germany.

Are there any route recommendations through Sweden & Denmark?

Thanks in advance :bier:

I'm asking assistance from our Scandinavian contingent.

I'm hoping to take the ferry to Bergen then head north to the Lofoten Islands before turning south towards Germany.

Are there any route recommendations through Sweden & Denmark?

Thanks in advance :bier:

91588[/snapback]

Hi Orson,

When do you start your trip? If your ETA doesn't collide with our summer holliday trip to Lanzarote/Spain in August (04-18th) then pop in and be my guest. My wife and I have plenty of room for stray Guzzi riders.

Touring in Norway and Sweden is very scenic. The roads are top class and hardly crowded compared with US standards. An absolut must in Norway is 'Trollstien' (see here). After that I recommend that you drive to Oslo (expensive but beautyful), then head for Gothenburg (nice city, really nice), drive down to Helsingborg and then take the ferry across to Helsingør (Denmark). My hometown Birkerød is half an hour down the road from the ferry in Helsingør and wifey and I have cold beers in the fridge.

German border is only two and half hour away from my house, so you'll be in Germany in no time.

You can always write me off-line in case you need further info.

Best regards

Søren

When do you start your trip?

91619[/snapback]

I'm trying to secure passage on the July 7 ferry to Bergen. I reckon I'll be in Norway for a week to 10 days before I start heading south.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it :thumbsup:

I usually try to avoid big cities when on bike. They're nice to visit on foot but hell to navigate on a bike :D

Is July a bad time to try to find hotel bookings? I usually travel in June but this year I've had a late start.

I'm trying to secure passage on the July 7 ferry to Bergen. I reckon I'll be in Norway for a week to 10 days before I start heading south.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it :thumbsup:

I usually try to avoid big cities when on bike. They're nice to visit on foot but hell to navigate on a bike :D

Is July a bad time to try to find hotel bookings? I usually travel in June but this year I've had a late start.

91758[/snapback]

Hi Orson.

As a resident of Oslo and a frequent traveller between Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim, theres lots of tips I can give. Do you have the route from Bergen up north figured out? Hotels are not really a problem. You might want to pick a route and book ahead (especially where the route doesnt take you through the bigger cities). In Bergen theres a very good tourist infomation that can help you. Myself I never book, and always seems to be able to find a room. The distances in the west of Norway arent that long and theres always another village up ahead. In the cities theres no problem finding accomodation.

Cities in Norway are small and well laid out, no problem to navigate through those.

One thing you should know about Sweden on the way back is that north of sweden (and north of norway) is all about looooong straights, clouds of moskitoes and thick, neverending forest. Best scenic route is probably to first drive along the coast and then cut over to the big lakes in central Sweden, but Gthyni might be able to give you better advice on that.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Do you have the route from Bergen up north figured out?

91773[/snapback]

No...I have nothing figured out :grin: Nothing set in stone. Just to stay along the coast...I think I read somewhere that it's called Highway 17?...up to the Lofoten Islands.

I had originally planned to go all the way to the Nordkapp but I read that there isn't much there other than the claim that you made it to the northernmost point in Europe. I'm not sure if that's enough to lure me up there :D

After the Lofoten Islands, I was thinking of heading back south...I don't even have a map of Norway yet. I was planning on buying a map when I got off the ferry.

Not very much planning, huh :D

No...I have nothing figured out :grin: Nothing set in stone. Just to stay along the coast...I think I read somewhere that it's called Highway 17?...up to the Lofoten Islands.

I had originally planned to go all the way to the Nordkapp but I read that there isn't much there other than the claim that you made it to the northernmost point in Europe. I'm not sure if that's enough to lure me up there :D

After the Lofoten Islands, I was thinking of heading back south...I don't even have a map of Norway yet. I was planning on buying a map when I got off the ferry.

Not very much planning, huh :D

91784[/snapback]

Right. A sort of guerilla-holiday, then :D

Remember that Norway is a LONG country. Oslo to Nordkapp is nearly 1800 kms. (nearly the same as Oslo to Rome...)

One idea for your trip is to zigzag your way along the coast from Bergen to Trondheim (in the middle of the country). Visit Ålesund, Molde and Kristiansund. Beautiful small cities all. That alone is about 750-1200 kms depending on route, and will give some awesome roads and sights. it'll probably take you three days, with beerpauses. (Do a search for the word "Atlanterhavsveien", and see for yourself) Then in Trondheim see what you're game for, and maybe just cross over to Sweden from Trondheim. The north of Sweden is, as I said, tree upon tree upon...

Another thing to remember is that on the west coast the roads are narrow and twisty, average speeds during a day will not be higher than 45-60 kmh. Great fun, though. And some places you will go from sea level to 1000 m above sea level in just 5 kms.

From south of Trondheim northbound the roads are much better and straighter, but can be boring. From Trondheim to Lofoten Islands you will look at appx 700-900 kms of fast(ish) transport. Average speeds goes up to 65-70 kmh.

Of course Lofoten is worth a visit, Its breathtaking up there. And you CAN drive from Bergen to Trondheim in one go if you push it, I do frequently.. You will still get some fine sceneries. Its just a question of how many miles of transport your arse can handle. :race:

Thanks for the road tips :thumbsup:

now if gthyni can tear himself away from the World Cup, I can get some Swedish road tips :D

91970[/snapback]

as Norway, Sweden is a very long country,

from my home town to Malmö (bridge to Denmark)

is almost exactly half way to Rome.

You are welcome to visit Luleå, but if you go over to us

at the east coast the road are fairly straight and long.

Luleå is 1000 km north of Stockholm.

If you come from Norway, road 45 might be an exotic trip

through the forests of Sweden (yes we have more trees than

you can even imagine):

Riksv%C3%A4g_45_karta.jpg

E10 comes from Narvik

E12 from Mo i Rana

If you come from Norway, road 45 might be an exotic trip

through the forests of Sweden (yes we have more trees than

you can even imagine):

92098[/snapback]

Excellent! :thumbsup:

Thanks all for your help :notworthy:

• 2 months later...

I've got a buddy that owns the guzzi shop in Stavanger and i am sure he can assist if needed. His name is rune and his email is post@motorossi.no His website is www.motorossi.no

Have a great trip.