X-Over Only - Stock Pipes - What to Expect?

wildbill

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with replacing just the stock crossover with a Stucci or FBF crossover, and leaving the stock pipes in place - what can I expect for performance gains, if any? I have a PC III already installed on the bike now - 2000 V11 Sport. It runs wel, though seems a tad lean at times with the occasional stumble. Can i expect improved midrange? Thanks in advance... :mg:

Guest Nogbad
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with replacing just the stock crossover with a Stucci or FBF crossover, and leaving the stock pipes in place - what can I expect for performance gains, if any? I have a PC III already installed on the bike now - 2000 V11 Sport. It runs wel, though seems a tad lean at times with the occasional stumble. Can i expect improved midrange? Thanks in advance...  :mg:

92004[/snapback]

If this is the neutral / slightly trailing throttle stumble that occurs between 3000 and 4000 rpm it's an ECU issue and would be likely to stay.

If you do a search there are a lot of posts relating to the various merits of pipe configurations. I doubt you would notice any difference at all changing the X-over whilst keeping the stock pipes. My totally stock 2000 V11 Sport was dynoed at 72 rwhp. It's fast enough for me!

Guest ratchethack
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with replacing just the stock crossover with a Stucci or FBF crossover, and leaving the stock pipes in place - what can I expect for performance gains, if any?

Bill, I have a 2000 Sport also. I installed a Stucchi crossover with stock mufflers and ran this way for about a year before installing FBF oval carbon mufflers. There was an immediate difference in power delivery in the 4500-5500 RPM range. The most noticable part of the difference was that there was no longer what was originally felt as a "dip" or flat spot in the torque curve around 4500 RPM. More significantly, there ALSO was no longer a steep jump in the torque curve coming out of that "hole" at 5000 - 5500. No more hole, so no jump coming out of it! In place of this, smoother, stronger power delivery straight across the midrange -- right where I expected it to be per the comparo dyno pulls done by Manley and Lofgren. :wub:

I'm running an "off the shelf" map from Todd Eagan at GuzziTech. It's the "-003" map. This is about as perfect a match as I can imagine for my config (stock airbox), because all former lean symptoms are gone, there's absolutely NO trace of hesitation or stumbling left, it has brilliant power delivery from idle to rev limit, gets 35-40 mpg, and the plugs read a nice pale tan..... :thumbsup:

Now there are those who will tell you (as I've been informed repeatedly), [ahem] that without a piece of paper from a dyno pull ON YOUR BIKE that PROVES that the A/F is ideal at all RPMs, that your "off the shelf" map is ALL WRONG!!! :whistle:

I'm continually amused by the above, because it seems that those who're spending somewhere north of $1K USD on multiple dyno runs and programming devices (evidently LOTS farther north in some cases) and pouring hundreds of hours into keyboard work, swapping maps and tweaking rows and columns of numbers, and chasing pieces of paper with curves and peaks trying to get 'em where they're "supposed to be" seem to have bikes that don't run anywhere near as well as mine does - and get worse mileage at the same time.......... :homer:

I reckon there are stranger aspects of human behavior than this somewhere......

But somehow none of it appeals to me. :huh2:;)

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

EDIT: Bill, I just re-read y'er post and Nog's reply. Full disclosure here - I still have a persistent and very occasional "stumble" at idle. It's ONLY at idle, and tends to show up immediately after particularly hard runnng at high speed before the bike has cooled while waiting at a light. Before the PC III, this was far more frequent and would snuff the motor. Now it doesn't snuff the motor. It seems to just drop a single firing signal and immediately recover. No big thing, and again - it NEVER happens under throttle. -_-

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with replacing just the stock crossover with a Stucci or FBF crossover, and leaving the stock pipes in place - what can I expect for performance gains, if any? I have a PC III already installed on the bike now - 2000 V11 Sport. It runs wel, though seems a tad lean at times with the occasional stumble. Can i expect improved midrange? Thanks in advance...  :mg:

92004[/snapback]

Hey Bill,

I did it the other way around, mufflers first then x-over (MAP carbon mufflers & FBF x-over) Like Ratchet, I have no dyno paper to back it up, but in IMHO the x-over gave me more improvement than the mufflers, especially in the mid rpm range. I feel like the mufflers added some power but extra noise will give that feeling. Of course this is all subjective without the coveted dyno. Lastly I installed the PCIII and used an off the shelf map also from Todd which brought everything together and my bike now runs seamlessly. I've thought of installing the stock cans just to see what they would sound & feel like with the other mods but so far I've been too lazy.

Also like Ratchet's bike I occasionally would have a idle stumble and felt (smelled actually) it was very rich at idle. A couple of weeks ago I brought it into work and synched the t-bodys and checked it with the gas analyzer. It was indeed running extremely rich at idle with the mixture screws out about one turn each. After adjusting the mix and re balancing I have not had any idle issues.

I'd be interested in your results with the x-over only.

Dan

Guest genley

92004[/snapback]

I installed a Ferracci crossover with the stock mufflers and would say that the net effect was slightly better midrange with an improved "smoothnes" in the power curve. Less of a peak between 5 and 6K rpm but perhaps more "urge." Just my seat of the pants dyno testing.