Temp Sensor

Greg Field

My bike seems to run worse once its up to operating temp. I wonder if I should ditch the factory sensor. All of my sensors and relays are original.

It probably won't make a difference.

The ECU only modifies the map when the engine is below about body temperature (atleast according to tuneboy's interpretation of the map) (EDIT THAT IS WRONG. I READ THE CELCIUS READING AS IF IT WERE FARHENHEIT :doh: )

But I suppose if your sensor is bad, or the connection to it, it may always suspect the engine is cold.

If the bike feels too rich(sluggish, worse especially at higher altitude) after warm up, the sensor could be bad :huh2:

If it feels too lean(metallic sound, pinging, surging, overheating, feels better at higher altitude), I'd look for another culprit.

"I am a little paranoid that they switched from brass to plastic to insulate the sensor from overheating, so I intend on using a fair amount of teflon tape to insulate it a little.

Since I have tuneboy, I was planning on tweaking the engine temperature map, anyway."

I have not yet installed the brass temperature sensor receptacle on my bike, so can't speak from personal experience. But, Guzziology (see page 7-56) says the brass receptacle results in a richer mixture (approximately 1/2% increase in CO levels). I assume this is because the brass receptacle transmits more heat to the sensor, which causes the ECU to richen the mixture.

I have not yet installed the brass temperature sensor receptacle on my bike, so can't speak from personal experience.  But, Guzziology (see page 7-56) says the brass receptacle results in a richer mixture (approximately 1/2% increase in CO levels).  I assume this is because the brass receptacle transmits more heat to the sensor, which causes the ECU to richen the mixture.

93259[/snapback]

This is interesting. Warmer temp should mean leaner mixture. The idea is to enrich it for a cold start (and cold running). Usually (on most FI systems) fuel would only be added when hot if the engine were overheating to lower combustion temp. I can't imagine the brass would make so much difference to fool the ECM into adjusting for excessive heat. I don't even know if this system is that sophisticated.

This is interesting. Warmer temp should mean leaner mixture. The idea is to enrich it for a cold start (and cold running). Usually (on most FI systems) fuel would only be added when hot if the engine were overheating to lower combustion temp. I can't imagine the brass would make so much difference to fool the ECM into adjusting for excessive heat. I don't even know if this system is that sophisticated.

93298[/snapback]

From the Tuneboy map, it only enrichens when cold.

The brass fitting does have cooling fins, so maybe it runs cooler :huh2: