Windage tray for V11

guzzi323

OilPanPlate.2.jpg

Here a pic of the windage tray I made for my Scura. I made it from sheet steel I got at my local hardware place. I laid a gasket on, traced from that and once all those holes were done I started the larger hole for the oil pickup/filter assembly. A bunch of Dremel and filing time later I ended up with this. I was hoping to place this on my scanner but the scan bed isn't wide enough so a pic will have to do.

The picture was taken before the final fitting and I ended up taking a little more off (approximated by my red photoshop work.) The pickup assembly fit nicely in the existing hole, but it has to slide onto the two oil pipes at the front of the sump and I haden't taken that extra space needed into account. Once I gave it that extra bit of room everything went smoothly.

Hopefully I've seen the last of the hard braking/accelerating oil light flicker. :luigi:

johnk

Nice work. You going to give it the litmus test?  :race:

92642[/snapback]

Well I don't know if I'll be going out and doing a bunch of wheelies but driving into work this morning I was starting and stopping more aggresively than I would normally with no oil light. Of course my oil's topped off so it normally wouldn't do it now anyway.

I like big wheelie's as much as the next guy but that's not my Scura's primary thing. I've got my DR350 for that.

I think only time will tell on this one.

johnk

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding, JohnK!

What gauge steel did you use?

If you put a sheet of 1/4" grid paper behind it (in another photo :blush: ), this'd be almost as good as a scanned file. . . . . . ;)

Just an idea. . . . :whistle:

TIA -_-

What gauge steel did you use?

If you put a sheet of 1/4" grid paper behind it (in another photo :blush: ), this'd be almost as good as a scanned file. . . . . . ;)

92656[/snapback]

Damn, 1/4" grid paper would have been brilliant. I'm not however and it's now mounted on the bike. If I ever have cause to tear into he bottom of the motor I'll happily do that but I'm hoping to not have to see that plate again for quite some time.

What gauage steel? Again I show my less than completely thought out process. It was thick enough that it didn't want to bent easily. I'd guess it to be in the .060" - .080" range? It's think enough that I'm not worried about vibrations causing fractures to it.

Sorry that's the best I can do.

johnk

Damn, 1/4" grid paper would have been brilliant. I'm not however and it's now mounted on the bike. If I ever have cause to tear into he bottom of the motor I'll happily do that but I'm hoping to not have to see that plate again for quite some time.

What gauage steel? Again I show my less than completely thought out process. It was thick enough that it didn't want to bent easily. I'd guess it to be in the .060" - .080" range? It's think enough that I'm not worried about vibrations causing fractures to it.

Sorry that's the best I can do.

johnk

92718[/snapback]

.060 would be a good starting point, I'd think- pretty common. :luigi: