Mistral Crossovers

Guest redguzziv10

Guest redguzziv10

I know i am probably preaching to the converted, or even risk stating the obvious to those already in the know but here goes anyway..

i recently bought a Mistral crossover from a very nice chap in Germany, (goes by the web name of www.smotos.de) this was to be the first step in trying to eliminate that annoying flat spot, and also to try and get a smooth ride at constant revs. (My bike tends to cough and splutter a bit at about 3-4000 rpm.)

The other stages in the upgrade were going to be Power Commander, air filter pods etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, i just cannot believe what a difference this has made ! it feels a completely different machine, no coughs, or splutters at constant revs, a nice clean linear pull away, better top end (maybe, seems like it!) all over, a better ride

it's just brilliant!!!

No need to experiment any further...sorted!!

oh, and with the G Force cans, sounds the mutts nuts as well

i was sorely tempted to part ex it for a nearly new Griso or Breva if i couldn't sort this problem, but not any more... i love it!

i know this is old news to most of you out there. But i just had to tell someone.

that's all. thanks for reading :D:D:D:D

Nice to hear.

If you can get access to a dyno for half an hour,I'd get them to pull a couple of runs and check your air/fuel ratios.

You dont want to burn a piston running too lean.

I've got a PC111 and couldn't be happier with it.In my case,it made quite a bit of difference to the smoothness of the motor and it was reassuring to know that the a/f ratios are smack on.

hi there redguzzi, big J and jrt,

I have a bog-standard v11 2001, which I'm v happy with (just did a return weekend to London, 1400km, with my son : the bike ran very well, no sputtering, etc and handling is - nearly - perfect with a new set of Pilot Powers. I also got 5.7 - 6.5 litres/100km, at 130 - 140km/h, which I was pleasantly surprised with, no more than my previous Ducati)

So I've still got the original Lafranconi's, box in the middle, air-filter etc. Living near Strasbourg, I want to keep the Lafranconi's for the E-mark, to be able to ride through Switzerland without trouble : they confiscate bikes at the border if too noisy ...

Did you fit the Mistral crossover with the original Lafranconi's ?

What difference did it make to the sound (wouldn't mind it being a bit deeper : a mate of mine has a Centauro which is like a complete symphony orchestra ...) ?

Re : lean carburation after the change, is it not enough to check the colour of the plugs and listen for pinking ?

Do they fit straight on, or are sawing, filing, bending involved (I heard some arrive not straight) ?

What's involved with fitting a Power Commander ?

Would be interested to hear from you ... :food:

So I've still got the original Lafranconi's, box in the middle, air-filter etc. Living near Strasbourg, I want to keep the Lafranconi's for the E-mark, to be able to ride through Switzerland without trouble : they confiscate bikes at the border if too noisy ...

94765[/snapback]

Good grief!

I take it they will confiscate loud cars and lorries too?

Nige. :whistle:

Guest redguzziv10
Did you fit the Mistral crossover with the original Lafranconi's ?

What difference did it make to the sound (wouldn't mind it being a bit deeper : a mate of mine has a Centauro which is like a complete symphony orchestra ...) ?

When i got the bike it already had a set of G Force cans on it, which aree pretty loud anyway so the crossover made little difference noise-wise. By the looks of it though, it would still have fitted with the originals, just in case! -_- .

Fitting was a doddle. i did it in my lunch break with the bikes tool kit. 30 minutes tops!

Funnily enough, the bike tended to pink a bit if if was pushed hard, before the crossover was fitted. Since then, i've not heard it. I think i will take Big J's advice though and get it checked out on a dyno.....now the bike is finally as it should be, i wouldn't want it to fail on me :D

ps. i had a centauro as well..right now, there's little to tell them apart.

v11F

Ihad planned to change the crossover for a Stucchi,fit Mistral cans and cut away the airbox,so the PC111 was a good choice for me to be able to alter the fueling to suit.

Prior to the above,I had the dyno operator pull a couple of runs just to give a baseline to work from.The stock ecu wasn't too bad,a little lean in places,a tad rich in others,but nothing to be worried about.

After fitting the goodies,the fueling was,as expected,miles out.The PC111 simply plugs in between the ecu plug and the ecu.When the dyno operator enters your data,the screen shows which injector values to change-richer,leaner.

It was a doddle to fit and combined with the other mods,made the bike pull a bit harder and run smoother.Much nicer to ride.

Todd @Guzzitech is the PC111 guru for Guzzis and a hellova nice guy to deal with.

Had the same problem with my V11. I first put on the Mistral crossover that pushed the flatspot down from 4300 rpm to 3400 rpm so it was out of the way of usable range, under performance any way, then put on Mistral carbon pipes which totally eliminated the dead spot and added a few HP's. Not nessesarily an inexpensive fix but well worth the snort factor

Now I want the PC III and high compression pistons. Will it end? Only time and finances will tell