Damn & Oops - Tripmeter Reset knob fell off

Gregg

Has anyone had a V11 trip meter knob fall off ? Mine has disappeared while on a 400km ride and I used to find it very handy to zero & monitor tank usage easily. Does the shaft just screw in to a female thread or is it a break that I am looking at ? I will investigate this weekend as I have to remove my fairing to get in there and see. Next time I will loctite !

Mine fell out too, I don't think I'll bother to get another one. 200 to 220 km until the low fuel light comes on and then a maximum of 50 km to go until empty. I can never put in more than 17 or so litres of fuel. You can't get the last four litres out. Oh well, it's Italian! :helmet:

Has anyone had a V11 trip meter knob fall off ? Mine has disappeared while on a 400km ride and I used to find it very handy to zero & monitor tank usage easily. Does the shaft just screw in to a female thread or is it a break that I am looking at ? I will investigate this weekend as I have to remove my fairing to get in there and see. Next time I will loctite !

94863[/snapback]

Zoltan, Did you end up covering the hole with tape or leave it open? Mine has not fogged up as yet but I am watching out for condensation.

Has anyone had a V11 trip meter knob fall off ?

94863[/snapback]

Yes, when i first got it (had never even used it). Never bothered getting it replaced. I just use the fuel light now, or fill up when my bum tells me its time to stop. :grin::mg:

Gary

I think the threads are reversed... Almost positive. I had this problem. It wants to turn counterclockwise (towards the fairing).

No offense to those "in the know", there may be another problem as well. :bike:

I think the threads are reversed... Almost positive. I had this problem. It wants to turn counterclockwise (towards the fairing).

No offense to those "in the know", there may be another problem as well. :bike:

94875[/snapback]

This is true for the white faced Veglia speedo on my LeMans. The trip meter knob is a female left hand thread.

Zoltan, Did you end up covering the hole with tape or leave it open? Mine has not fogged up as yet but I am watching out for condensation.

94869[/snapback]

I just left it open, it rains here often but I haven't seen a problem yet.

Guest Nogbad
Hmmm... I wonder if a blob of JB Weld on the end of the reset shaft would work?

94891[/snapback]

Well it would, but then how do you get the f**ker out again if you need to change the idiot lights. I wondered about using some silicone rubber on the thread as a "weak" threadlock that could be undone again. Unfortunately, the flippin' knob got lost before I tried it.

Well it would, but then how do you get the f**ker out again if you need to change the idiot lights. I wondered about using some silicone rubber on the thread as a "weak" threadlock that could be undone again. Unfortunately, the flippin' knob got lost before I tried it.

94900[/snapback]

The threads are reversed. I used some blue threadlock not permanent. It is hard to get the bugger back on because the odo just wants to keep resetting. I just tried pushing and angling the knob to sort of hold it in a bind so the trip would not reset and the knob would have enough resistance to thread on with the small amount of thread lock making things difficult. I have 43K on mine and it hasn't fallen out. I was also able to remove it when the speedo gave up and I sent it to Hollywood speedo for a rebuild.

Later,

dv

94900[/snapback]

I coated mine in weak threadlocker still in at 15,000mi but its getting loose again, I think the gritty threadlocker is stopping me from loosing it right now but I should reapply. :huh2:

eh like its been said b4, its italian. :luigi:

too bad someone can't come up with a good one like Fix It Again Tony. :lol:

Guest Nogbad

Trouble is the last knob I bought rushed me £14-00. For some poxy little ally shaft with a blob of plastic on it!