Eureka my brothas!!

Enzo

EUREKA MY BROTHAS!!

Well, last night I was certainly bummed out. Wiring problems. The Guzzi still would not start after the new regulator install. I was thinking in bed that I might buy a bigger garage and strip the Guzzi down and rewire the whole thing - paint the subframe, look at everything etc. I was resigned to my fate.

But some kind soul reminded me to just look at the wires going to the battery - maybe I had missed connecting one of them. Sure enough, after totally cleaning up the job site last night and putting the tools away, I went out in the morning sun and had a good look. Everything looked connected. Then I went to the other side of the bike. Nothing hanging down. Nothing obvious. But wait; I saw it. It was hiding beside my frame and hard to see. There it was, the missing wire that should have been connected to the battery. I didn't connect it then, but went to work with a new spring in my step. I came home and connected it. FIRE IN THE HOLE!! Everything is normal.

But then the ride test. After all, it could simply be as it was - with fresh fuses and relays it would start, yes, but would only run for a minute or two before the melt down. So, the ride was tense. I've also opened up my Cobra pipe once again, so the bike runs very rough at small throttle opening and low speeds. Very rough. I took it up my big hill so I could coast home if there was a problem. Not only did it run fine, but at open throttle it SCREAMED. I circled around and then took a different loop further from my house. Again, no glitches, no melt down. no stopping.

Greg Field was convinced that my 'horrible wiring' was the culprit. What he doesn't see is that everything is where it should be. Sure, a little messy for a German, but it is all OK. Anything funky about it was done by the previous owner, but we have already cleared that out. He was also convinced that it was a bare petcock wire (which he then broke). Wrong again. I traced this down myself to the regulator and I was right. Thanks to Pyro Dan for the excellent black GEI relays and to Todd at MPH for the improved regulator. That was a very simple install. So simple I couldn't believe it would work. The Guzzi is WAY too complicated for its own good. If I want complications, I'll buy a Swiss watch!! Leave the fancy complications to Honda whose owner's manual actually sounds like English these days.

ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD MY BROTHAS. And, I got an appointment with my Dyno man for a run on Monday night!!! Those pipes with a new map will be very sweet. Loud, yes, but that's the only way you're gonna get power out of one of these tractor motors.

STAY TUNED FOR A DYNO CHART UPDATE ON MY BIKE COMING MONDAY!!!

Tonight I think I will drink some cool beer, rearrange my tools and clean house. My wife's been in New York City for two weeks and I pick her up tomorrow. Ah, life is good. I think I'll even look at my new Robb Report Motorcycle magazine.