Cylinder head temperature sensor

guido

The bakelite? holder for the temperature sensor on the cylinder head of my V11 has broken. It has been stuck on with shoe glue!! And the bike ran. The sensor looks fine and measures OK, but I need a new holder.

1. Are they abailable as a seperate item

2 If not, do they have to be made of an insulating material or, IOW can I turn one out of brass?

You can buy one made of brass from Guzzi.

If your local shop does not have it, we have them at Moto International.

Hi Greg. Thanks for advice. I turned one in brass, fits perfect, looks much better too.

:nopic:

Seriously, where is the temp sensor? All I ever see are pics of pieces parts, never where this thing is found in situ...

:huh2:

Righthand cylinder head, inboard, on the side toward the spine.

Thanks!

Do all year v11s come w/ the bakelite holder, & Guzzi just sells a brass replacement for those who experience trouble, or do later/earlier models have one vs. the other? Just curious what the breakdown for this type of, well, breakdown is!

;)

Thanks!

Do all year v11s come w/ the bakelite holder, & Guzzi just sells a brass replacement for those who experience trouble, or do later/earlier models have one vs. the other? Just curious what the breakdown for this type of, well, breakdown is!

;)

I would take a wild guess and say all the fuel injected Guzzis before 1999 or so were brass and all the ones after, were bakelite or plastic...probably starting with V11S and Jackal??????

I think the idea of the plastic one is to transfer less heat to the sensor body and about the same heat to the sensor tip.

Theoretically being more accurate, but heating and cooling time may be slower because of plastic's insulating :huh2:

Since going to brass my idle at various temperatures seems to vary more, but it could be for other reasons.

(At the same time, I switched to air box lid, new fuel filter, adjusted valves and TPS....so any of those could have changed the idle... :huh2: )