Wheel Bearing woes

Ouiji Veck

Checked my bearings 2,500 mi ago @ tire change.

Left rear puked today....felt a tap tap tap on

my foot pegs when I got on the balls of my feet...

then felt wierd twitching at parkinglot speeds...

Kicked the tires @ gas stop...then grabbed the rear tire and yanked it

side to side...WHOA!!!...yikes..

The LeMans is now 2hrs. away @ my friends shop (I got to ride his RT home...fun..very different)

My question is "What possible evil may have been done to pinion etc...

And...It seems funny thats the bearring that went...after all I've read about the other side

being the common problem...23K on the bike. ..

I would jump to thinking I missed a shim/washer somewhere when I changed the tire

but it seems it would have failed before 2,500 mi...hmmm...maybe not...better check the

drawings....and other posts w/ bearing #s...might be better off getting one (a better one?)

from the local bearing shop.

Checked my bearings 2,500 mi ago @ tire change.

Left rear puked today....felt a tap tap tap on

my foot pegs when I got on the balls of my feet...

then felt wierd twitching at parkinglot speeds...

Kicked the tires @ gas stop...then grabbed the rear tire and yanked it

side to side...WHOA!!!...yikes..

The LeMans is now 2hrs. away @ my friends shop (I got to ride his RT home...fun..very different)

My question is "What possible evil may have been done to pinion etc...

And...It seems funny thats the bearring that went...after all I've read about the other side

being the common problem...23K on the bike. ..

I would jump to thinking I missed a shim/washer somewhere when I changed the tire

but it seems it would have failed before 2,500 mi...hmmm...maybe not...better check the

drawings....and other posts w/ bearing #s...might be better off getting one (a better one?)

from the local bearing shop.

The left side bearing (brake side) IS the usual culprit. Look up my post dated in July "Wheel Bearing Bugaboo". Had a similar experience of a bearing failure about 2500 mi. after a tire change ('02 LeMans had 28000 on odometer). Before changing the bearings, make sure the shim spacer inside the hub is still in spec. The bearing # is a 6402 (I believe). In my case I might have over torqued the axle nut by 10-20 ft/lbs. The proper spec is 88 ft/lbs. By over-torqueing, the spacer shim could shrink to under-spec. For what ever reason, this rear bearing design is not particularly forgiving. Hope this helps. Leon

Thanks Leon...

Yea..I was too pooped last night to do a search...the topic is endless.

I thought the 1/2" spacer on the hub side was the culprit and the needle bearing there was the

one that failed all the time..from just reading stuff from since I joined the forum.

Once I chased the wheelbrng. thread I see now anew.

I will be checking the spacer length and paying attention to torqueing the axle in the future.

:drink:

My mistake on the wheel bearing #, it's 6204. Another unfortunate note, I've learned that there are no rear wheel inner spacers to be found by the US distributor and no timeline as to when they'll be coming from Italy (apparently all of Italy is on vacation). Thus my Lemans sits at a NH dealership with 2 bearings at hand sans a spacer. I hope you're not in need of a spacer. Anybody out there have an alternative source besides Moto Guzzi NA. Hope you have better luck in getting yours on the road. Leon

Spacer was a non issue. Measured 113.20mm

Don't know what the problem was/is. Checked my normal non torque wrench tight against

the torque wrench... my normal seat of the pants, feeley meely was 70 ft lbs...

Got the bearrings (SKF) 6204 rs C3 from a distributor. Put 'em on ice with the beer..poped right in.

$10.18 for the pair.

Man it was really great getting back on the Guzzi after 150mi on the much touted RT.

Everyone I ride with are on B'mers....thier loss. :mg:

Why not make your own spacer?

Screw waiting around...it's august!!

Everything you need to know is here..>>

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...l=wheel+bearing

My mistake on the wheel bearing #, it's 6204. Another unfortunate note, I've learned that there are no rear wheel inner spacers to be found by the US distributor and no timeline as to when they'll be coming from Italy (apparently all of Italy is on vacation). Thus my Lemans sits at a NH dealership with 2 bearings at hand sans a spacer. I hope you're not in need of a spacer. Anybody out there have an alternative source besides Moto Guzzi NA. Hope you have better luck in getting yours on the road. Leon

You can shim it out with a washer, just make sure the washer doesn't reach the outer race. I think mines held out now for 3,000miles. I know BFG done the same, don't how many miles he has done on his. My spacer is on order also

hmmmm..

I had seen a lot of 113.25 in other posts...

Having changed my rear tire a few times I noticed that after putting

these bearings in, the spacer was real snug now.?

Any way I'm feeling pretty confident about it but plan to throw bearrings

in every other tire change from now on. What the heck...ten bucks.