2000 V11 Sport Valve Stem

jsciullo

Is there any way I can shorted the valve stems on my V11 Sport. Its took long. It looks like I should be able to loosen the nut and turn the valve stem so less of it is sticking out. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jim in Dublin

Guest ratchethack

Jim, don't do this! It doesn't work the way you think, and you'll break the seal at the rim, and likely break the stem. The length of stems on tube tires are necessary for mounting the tire. I dunno why they are so long on tubeless rims, or for that matter, why it would be a problem to leave it alone. :huh2:

The stock stems are cheesy and prone to breakage. I replaced mine with high-grade stainless ones at the first tire change.

Guest ratchethack

Jim, you got me thinkin' about this. Yeah, I know. Caution required, please. -_- My deductive reasoning - nothing much more than observant speculation, really - goes something like this:

The design of Schraeder valves harkens back to the time when tube tires were the industry standard. There were early alternatives to the Schraeder valve, I believe, but for commercial purposes, after a period of time, Schraeder valves became dominant, and eventually they were the sole option. The inner working bits (components of the valve core itself) have proliferated from that point forward around the original standard dimensions, which were initially optimized for all manner of practical use, and refined around the original dimensions of the inner valve. Every manufacturer produced to the same standard dimensions, making them interchangeable.

Now then. We suddenly have the introduction of tubeless tires, no longer requiring the long stems (with their long valve cores inside) that had been previously made necessary for reaching the rim from inside while installing tubes in tires. But we still have an industry standard for Schraeder valve cores that you and I and everyone else have on our vehicles, including the ones on y'er Aunt Matilda's great walloping Motor Davidson Harley Cycle Bloat-o-Glide. :doh:

Consider the difficulty to a manufacturer of upsetting the apple-cart that the entire infrastructure of the planet rolls on. A more compact, low-profile valve design seems plausible alright, but it would mean introducing an incompatible valve that would cost a fortune to introduce, no one would have any stock of interchangeable valves, and yet the non-standard valve offers no apparent advantage to the standard design other than the way it looks??

I'm proposing that what we have today is a vestige of a convention borne of our more primitive past, and the effort to make a change outweighs the benefits.

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it. -_-:lol:

Guest Rocker

Jim, you got me thinkin' about this. Yeah, I know. Caution required, please. -_- My deductive reasoning - nothing much more than observant speculation, really - goes something like this:

The design of Schraeder valves harkens back to the time when tube tires were the industry standard. There were early alternatives to the Schraeder valve, I believe, but for commercial purposes, after a period of time, Schraeder valves became dominant, and eventually they were the sole option. The inner working bits (components of the valve core itself) have proliferated from that point forward around the original standard dimensions, which were initially optimized for all manner of practical use, and refined around the original dimensions of the inner valve. Every manufacturer produced to the same standard dimensions, making them interchangeable.

Now then. We suddenly have the introduction of tubeless tires, no longer requiring the long stems (with their long valve cores inside) that had been previously made necessary for reaching the rim from inside while installing tubes in tires. But we still have an industry standard for Schraeder valve cores that you and I and everyone else have on our vehicles, including the ones on y'er Aunt Matilda's great walloping Motor Davidson Harley Cycle Bloat-o-Glide. :doh:

Consider the difficulty to a manufacturer of upsetting the apple-cart that the entire infrastructure of the planet rolls on. A more compact, low-profile valve design seems plausible alright, but it would mean introducing an incompatible valve that would cost a fortune to introduce, no one would have any stock of interchangeable valves, and yet the non-standard valve offers no apparent advantage to the standard design other than the way it looks??

I'm proposing that what we have today is a vestige of a convention borne of our more primitive past, and the effort to make a change outweighs the benefits.

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it. -_-:lol:

Don't look at it.

Rockerob

Haven't I read up on valve stems in the last couple of days.

Some months ago I got a puncture in the rear tyre (bridgestone 020) and got it internally plugged. It started leaking about 2pounds per day. Bloody nuisance. Checked and changed the valve. No change. Thought that it was the repair and put up with it.

Just got new tyres (F 014 R020) and the rear is still leaking. Checked and found a leak between the valve stem and the nut. I started to worry about all the threads talking about stems coming away and causing quick deflation . WHAT!!!!

This won't do. We're headng from Queensland to Phillip Island for the Gp(again) and back in a few days (about 5600klms) Time to look into this.

My investigations with my 2 shops (read "trusted") reveal:

- the nut on the valve stem should not crack and break off if not over tightened;

- replace the O ring to return to a better seal;

- replace the crap stem with a stainless (or replace with each tyre change);

- if the stem is too tall/long, replace it with a 90degree stem from a Griso.

Yep, sounds the way to go.

Allan

My investigations with my 2 shops (read "trusted") reveal:

- the nut on the valve stem should not crack and break off if not over tightened;

- replace the O ring to return to a better seal;

- replace the crap stem with a stainless (or replace with each tyre change);

- if the stem is too tall/long, replace it with a 90degree stem from a Griso.

Yep, sounds the way to go.

Allan

I hadn't noticed the stems when I took a brief look at a Griso awhile back, good to know the small things are being addressed as well as the large. I have been coveting the angled stems off a Ducati Monster ($30 CDN apiece here) It would be great to be able at get a gas station air hose on the front valve.

Yep, sounds the way to go :bier: