Caliper cleaning

grossohc

I was wondering what you all use to clean your brake caliper, piston etc. I bought a can of STP brake cleaner spray, but it says on the can to "protect rubber parts from spray". Would this damage the brake seals or is there a better product out there that i can safely use :huh2::luigi:

Thanks

Gary

Guest ratchethack

Gary, after taking the pads out, I dunk the entire caliper (brake line still attached) in a solution of Simple Green and water for a thorough brushing out, after dousing the troublesome areas in CRC Brakleen for starters. All brake components, including seals, are impervious to brake cleaner, but y'er garden variety rubber that you may find on other areas of a car, for example, is NOT. If you extend the brake pistons slightly (not too far!) just enough to expose the seals, you can brush ALL the compacted brake dust and road crap out. This prevents the pads from dragging on the disks due to grunge-induced failure of the pucks to retract. :luigi:

Guest Nogbad

Yoshimoto "AnkaDmanka". Yes it's really called that. A pleasant smelling, rapid evaporating solvent cleaner designed for the job. Comes out of the nozzle with enough force to wash the dirt away without the need for brushing.

how about PJ1 Super Cleaner? My problem with my Centauro - my calipers and area where the pistons are, are rusty -- how to get that stuff out!

I thought the calibers were aluminum :huh2:

Perhaps the pistons are rusty???

Are the pistons stainless steel???

If they are rusty, you should pull them out to clean them.

Maybe you just have rust dripping down from the pin that holds in the pads...or the pads are rusting.

If so superficial cleaning should be fine.

After cleaning, I like to lube the piston lightly with silicone (very lightly and don't get any on tires or brake pads)

Some disagree with this strategy because of the attraction of dirt to the silicone and the risk of loss of friction at the tire or brake pads.