My First Ambulance Ride

slug

Hey Slug, you don't work at the 'Soft do you ?

I was up there in the Seattle area for almsot 10 years with them before i sucumbed to my fiances demands for a warmer climate herre in Southern California.. Get well Soon !

I get $10K for a bike I paid $12K for three years ago with a book value of ~$7K Vs. paying $5.3K (I did actually ask) for the wreck, having it fixed up (I'm garageless for the moment) at some cost hopefully less than the dealer quoted and still only having a $7K bike. I loved that bike but the math just didn't add up against buying a brand new 2007 something or other.

Such is life I guess.

2007 LeMans! It's coming...

tow trucks :moon: Glad to hear injuries were minor -- my last one I had goose eggs poping out for three days afterwards... I paid $200 for a tow truck to haul my bike up from 100' down a hill. I clambered down there and tried keeping my goose upright while being towed up the hill -- highly steep-- I couldn't keep it up ( :D ) the last 10-15 feet, and it was dragged badly over very rough ground- That's where most of the damage came from... oh - I'm pretty sure setting up better for the turn would have done it...

Bad news: Couldn't talk down the cost of the tow.

Good news: My insurance company covered it :)

Bad news: Ribs still hurt like a MF. Makes it hard to sleep. Sneezing puts me on the floor for about five minutes, writhing in pain.

Good news: Vitamin Percocet helps... :wacko:

Bad news: Dirty Bird was totalled by the insurance company.

Good news: Insurance company gave me a fair amount for the bike and included cost of add-ons.

Good news: I was able to buy Dirty Bird back from the insurance company for a very fair price.

Bad news: Can't ride it on the street until I get it inspected by the State Patrol (could take 2-3 months from what I hear)

So, I have a bunch of new parts on order and have replaced the shifter and left footpeg, all I need now is a new headlight and the bike will be rideable again.

I'm planning on repainting the tank, hopefully I can find a matching green. I LOVE that green!

The tail section and seat cowl are pretty scratched up and will need repainting too, but I was thinking that before I repaint them, I might make a mold of both and make new ones out of carbon fiber (I used to build kayaks and have a decent amount of experience with moldmaking and carbon fiber/kevlar work) I already have one person that's interested in one. I'm not committed to doing this yet, and any guess of the cost will surely be wrong. But, if the cost is reasonable, would anyone else be interested?

Get well soon, situations like that , suck but there you'll have to have some patience.

Often I hear about injured ribs , or collar bones, and so on. In which place are were your ribs hurt,

what kind of jacket did you wear?

I see unsufficient protection in all jackets 8including what I have), concerning this subject, or am I wrong?

I think to install these HIPROTEC rubber protectors from Hein-Gericke all over precausionary. (wrongly shown in the pic ,is the other side that does the work full of small rubber thick pins)

They do are effective wherever they are installed.

Do you think a glove in the class of Alpinestars GP pro or SP1 ( Gloves

would have prevented the hand injuries?

Protection is something that would be totally without any compromise all times.

Maybe late, but isn't it possible to have a bike insurance with transport costs , in case of bike failure and so on?

My wishes for quick healing recovery and may be your last bad time with a bike.

Get well soon, situations like that , suck but there you'll have to have some patience.

Often I hear about injured ribs , or collar bones, and so on. In which place are were your ribs hurt,

what kind of jacket did you wear?

Ribs hurt in two spots, mid-cage close to the sternum and mid-cage almost underneath the shoulder blade. I was wearing a Hein-Gericke mesh jacket w/shoulder and elbow armor, plus a Dainese back protector. My shoulder and ribcage hit the ground at the same time (with my left arm out in front of me, hand still on the handlebar).The shoulder armor definetly helped but my ribs landed on a big bump going down in to a ditch.

I see unsufficient protection in all jackets 8including what I have), concerning this subject, or am I wrong?

I agree, I know Icon makes a "field armor" vest with rib protection, but I don't know if it would have helped in this situation.

Do you think a glove in the class of Alpinestars GP pro or SP1 ( Gloves would have prevented the hand injuries?

Probably not. I was wearing similar gloves with lots of protection. My finger was either crushed between the handlebar and the ground, or I jammed it in to something hard.

Protection is something that would be totally without any compromise all times.

Agreed. I'm now a firm believer in AGATT (that acronym correct?). Two weeks before my accident I was riding with a friend and she lowsided on a left-hander and wasn't wearing any protective gear. After seeing how icky gravel looked embedded in an elbow, I stopped skimping. Good thing I did.

My wishes for quick healing recovery and may be your last bad time with a bike.

Thanks Alex!

I agree, I know Icon makes a "field armor" vest with rib protection, but I don't know if it would have helped in this situation.

Probably not. I was wearing similar gloves with lots of protection. My finger was either crushed between the handlebar and the ground, or I jammed it in to something hard.

Agreed. I'm now a firm believer in AGATT (that acronym correct?). Two weeks before my accident I was riding with a friend and she lowsided on a left-hander and wasn't wearing any protective gear. After seeing how icky gravel looked embedded in an elbow, I stopped skimping. Good thing I did.

Thanks Alex!

Yep I think a vest with the right protection can help a lot , and is always needed, that bit more, to make the difference count.

I asked about the Pro gloves or simmilar cause they have that feature: // Patented 3rd and 4th finger-bridge protects against finger roll and separation during impacts. //[/] as it is stated.