Love my new bike - couple of issues, though

JoeV11

Wow, that was fun! I just took my first ride - 150 miles - to show off to friends and relatives. I went on nice curvey 2-lane highways, boring Interstates, and through little towns. It does it all well.

I had a couple of issues, though, firstly the dreaded tank-suck! I'll probably remove the tip-over valve. Also there is a little leak at the bottom of my left fork that I'll have to track down. Lastly, the bike seems more comfortable turning right than left at intersection speeds. I don't know if that's how they are, or something is out of alignment. Can anybody shed some light on this?

But overall it's a sweet bike. I'm still getting used to it, so the "chicken strips" on the tires are still about an inch wide. That'll change as time goes on.

Joe

Wow, that was fun! I just took my first ride - 150 miles - to show off to friends and relatives. I went on nice curvey 2-lane highways, boring Interstates, and through little towns. It does it all well.

Right on, Joe. The sport is a great all-around bike.

I had a couple of issues, though, firstly the dreaded tank-suck! I'll probably remove the tip-over valve. Also there is a little leak at the bottom of my left fork that I'll have to track down. Lastly, the bike seems more comfortable turning right than left at intersection speeds. I don't know if that's how they are, or something is out of alignment. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Before you completely remove the tipover valve, see if you can get it to operate correctly. It only needs to be vertical and perhaps lashed to something substantial like the frame. Small price to pay for some insurance. If you take it out (like I did), you can potentially leak gas if you go over, and potentially have a fire. I doubt that would be fun.

Can't help with the leak- probably a seal.

As far as turning- I'm much more comfortable with tight right handers than left. I always thought it was just me. However, you can check the straightness of the frame if you have access to a couple long fluorescent lightbulbs. Align them along the rear wheel, then put the front wheel parallel. Measure the front and rear (of the front wheel) wheel-to-bulb distance and it should be the same on both sides if everything is aligned along a centerline.

But overall it's a sweet bike. I'm still getting used to it, so the "chicken strips" on the tires are still about an inch wide. That'll change as time goes on.

Joe

Take your time and enjoy! :mg:

Welcome to the forum!

It's foolish to remove the tipover valve when it is so easy to ensure its proper operation.

Here's how: Route the hose to the inside of the right airbox horn and ziptie it in place so it is held vertically, as shown below:

PICT0017-3.jpg

There, now; wasn't that easy? Now your bike won't puke gas all over if it tips over. This could save your bike or your life.

It's foolish to remove the tipover valve when it is so easy to ensure its proper operation.

I need your help, Greg. I'm frustrated by the fact that I cannot get warrantee service if it involves parts coming from Guzzi, and my dealer is not enthusiastic about doing the work out of fear of not getting reimbursed by Piaggio/Guzzi, so I'm left with DIY stuff, if I want anything done. I've got days invested in trial and error speedo cable replacements, the reserve light stopped working with the second tankful, and my tank is under major vacuum after riding for a while. I need some more details on where the tipover valve is, etc., so I can route it as you suggest. Or will it be obvious if I take the tank off. In your picture, I cannot see clearly what you describe, and what is the open ended hose at the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

I know it doesnt solve your problem but you might want to see if there are any other dealers remotely close to you.

I find lefthanders way easier than right handers wit hmy 2001 shortframe, probably symptomatic of having had an off on a right hander about 15 years ago and having grown up riding on the left side of the road in the UK I guess.

Ryland:

The pic is of a 2004 Ballabio. The hoses are identical to those on your bike. See the white hose clamp? It wraps around the top of the tipover valve. I added that, and routed the tipover valve hose from outside the intake horn to inside the horn. The tipover valve is a little piece that looks a lot like a PCV valve from a 1980s car. If you pull off your tank, it will all make sense. The only tricky part is the "quick-disconnects." They are tricky the first time.

To get the tank off, first, pull out the back tank bolt. Then, wad up a towel into a clump and shove it under the back extension of the tank, to raise the rear of the tank. This allows better access to the male-and-female quick disconnect fuel lines (there are two) on the right side of the tank (as seated on the bike).

The female connector has a ring that is moveable fore and aft. Find this ring and grasp it between thumb and forefinger of one hand. Withe the other hand, push the male disconnect firmly into the female connector, and wiggle the ring. Feel very carefully for a "release," and then pull away with the male connector. It will take practice, but you will get it. Disconnect both fuel lines, noting which connects to which.

Then, disconnect the two electrical connectors that are forward of the fuel connectors. Pull up carefully on the rear of the tank with one hand while reacxhing up under the center of the tank with the other, and disconnect the tipover line (on the right side of the frame tunnel) and overflow line (on the left side of the tank tunnel). Pull back on the tank, and the tank should then come right off. Set it on something soft, as the clear coat is very delicate.

Then, follow the pic to route and affix the tipover valve. No more tank suck, ever.

As for the rest of the warranty stuff, I may be able to help, but we'll have to take it off-line because dealers get weird about other dealers stepping in. If need be, I'll give your dealership some tips on how best to get yourt needs met. Call me at Moto I (206 297-3822 or on my cell 206 371-9623). We open at 9:00 Pacific time.

Greg

Thanks for the advice. I took a look under my tank and decided I didn't know enough to even start this job. I think with your latest post I can get the tank off and do the job right. Just have to find the time....

Thanks

Joe

I had my bike fall over in my shop earlier this year. Dumped gas everywhere before I got it untangled from the other bike and back up again. My tipover valve was removed by the dealer when they did the predelivery insp. I'd like to add one again to avoid the dumping gas/fire possibility. Is the valve easily gotten from Guzzi or should I use something else (if there is something better??).

thanks,

Rj

I had my bike fall over in my shop earlier this year. Dumped gas everywhere before I got it untangled from the other bike and back up again. My tipover valve was removed by the dealer when they did the predelivery insp. I'd like to add one again to avoid the dumping gas/fire possibility. Is the valve easily gotten from Guzzi or should I use something else (if there is something better??).

thanks,

Rj

RJ:

If you can get by with a take-off valve (service will take them off at the request of an owner), I'll give you one gratis. If you require a new one, I can order it. EIther way, I'll need your address. Send it in a PM.