Brake Problems - Warped Rotor

Guest Mattress

Guest Mattress

Hi all -

First let me say I did search the forum and found some good leads, but I'd still like to post my issue.

I have some heavy grabbiness and pulsation when applying the front brake. I've experienced it on all types of pavement and the pulsation frequency changes with speed. Leaves me suspicious of the front rotors.

Bike has 3500 miles, bought new July 06, 2004 Cafe Sport. Previous posts have suspected the buttons or fork missalignment. I wasn't sure if this was still a problem on 04 models.

Anyone have this problem on a 2004 model?

Anyhow if the rotors are warped it sounds expensive. But it is severe enough to upset the suspension.

You mentioned the obvious (to me) solution- the 'buttons' need to be cleaned periodically or else they ain't floating rotors. It's common to every year.

That's also (one of) my problem right now- I have pulsing brakes (pretty mild), but I checked run-out and it looks ok. I suspect there is some cleaning due.

This doesn't mean you don't have warped rotors, but I think the later (during and after 2001) rotors are not as prone to warping. You have "triangles" in the brake spokes, right? Those are the better ones than the 'circles'.

ok, actually it is more accurately described as a 'sector' instead of a 'triangle', but I'm sure you get the point, lol. Damn, I'm a nerd.

Actually, they are only semi floating rotors. Cleaning the buttons will help a little but will probably not be the final solution. Full floating rotors will literally rattle in the carrier. I went through this with my EV. I finally replaced the rotors with the 5mm full floaters and have had no more trouble.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

My (round sector) 2000 rotors are coming up to 12000 miles and work fine still. Very smooth braking, but you get kind of a sizzling noise when you apply them hard.

Mine's an '04, though only a humble Ballabio. One of my rotors was so warped that the front end pogoed up and down if I hit the brakes hard. MG wouldn't warrantee it, so I bought new rotors and am so happy I decided to do something about the problem instead of just living with it. It stops oh-my-God fast now with no drama. I'm pretty sure I'd've locked the warped one and crashed had I kept it through the upcoming rain months in Seattle.

Hi all -

First let me say I did search the forum and found some good leads, but I'd still like to post my issue.

I have some heavy grabbiness and pulsation when applying the front brake. I've experienced it on all types of pavement and the pulsation frequency changes with speed. Leaves me suspicious of the front rotors.

Perhaps is front wheel bearings?.Check it out ;)

Guest Mattress

Mine's an '04, though only a humble Ballabio. One of my rotors was so warped that the front end pogoed up and down if I hit the brakes hard. MG wouldn't warrantee it, so I bought new rotors and am so happy I decided to do something about the problem instead of just living with it. It stops oh-my-God fast now with no drama. I'm pretty sure I'd've locked the warped one and crashed had I kept it through the upcoming rain months in Seattle.

Thanks for the tips all. I'll have my mechanic check it out, but it really is po-going and I worry about what will happen with an aggressive stop. I could see dropping it in the wet it grabs so strongly.

I'll look into full floaters (of course checking everything else out like wheel bearings, etc.). Maybe those fancy wave jobbies? Not sure what the wave does.

Not sure what the wave does.

When the lady in the car ahead of you throws her bra out the window, the wave is there to catch the under-wire and throw you into a scary front end lock-up. :o

Or maybe it is just to look cool :huh2:

Either way, the bra-less lady will be un-impressed as she has other things going on :blush:

I'd bet on a warped rotor. I ended up changing mine for the same symptoms. You may be able to view the warpage with the bike on a shop stand and front wheel off the deck --- mine could be seen in this manner (as well as by watching the rotor while rollin' down the highway). Change the wheel bearings while you are at it...cheap insurance. k