rubbers

kjrowe

Post #1

Rookie

Guzzi:V11 le mans Tenni

Hi there looking for some insight. I have had the rubber mounts between the instument panel and the supporting bracket give way. one has broken the other two have had the metal screws pull away from the mounts. So yes i can replace them but this will be the 2nd time and unless there is a strong glue (i have tried this) is there any advice

I sort of manufactured my own, using a 3"(about) piece of hollow nylon spacer with rubber grommets around it, and an allen head thru-bolt with a nut on the end holding the whole taco together. The idea being that the grommets were a little longer than the nylon spacer, allowing some flex for vibes once the thru bolt was snugged down. I got all the pieces at Home Depot and did it in the parking lot, since it broke on me halfway between San Diego and here. :huh:

There's probably a better/easier way to do this, but I tend to overbuild stuff, and I haven't had a problem in 10,000 miles since. :huh2:

Welcome to Guzzi-World. You will ask more technical questions, but none more often than this one....

We most all share your problem and posted solutions range from creative to brute force - drill and through bolt the whole caboodle. For me, top and one side bushing failed early on. First fix was clean the pulled insert and rubber bushing, and reglue with silicone adhesive. This held until I reached the end of the driveway. Maybe would have lasted longer, but it would be on a much smoother road than here in Northern Ca.

Next pass was cleaning the rubber bushings with acetone and the brass insert by wire wheel, then glue with a high-build/gap filling epoxy. I added limit stops (scrap plastic) glued to the underside front dash to reduce amplitude of shaking esp on washboard sections. This about 5K kilometers ago.

So, as I'm writing this I checked the bike to see how best to describe the limit stops. 'lo and behold, the remaining bushing had failed. Since this had not recevied the gap-filling epoxy, maybe it will hold. Maybe not. Welcome to Guzzi.

Guest Gary Cheek

Or do a search on Lord rubber mounts" and buy some new ones from one of the many sources. Save the effort of home brewing ineffective kluges. Through bolts do not usually provide adequate isolation.

There are improved versions from alternative sources.

http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Products1.htm

Check out the "RING MOUNTS" It only costs a few $$ to go first class.

Hi there looking for some insight. I have had the rubber mounts between the instument panel and the supporting bracket give way. one has broken the other two have had the metal screws pull away from the mounts. So yes i can replace them but this will be the 2nd time and unless there is a strong glue (i have tried this) is there any advice

Like Felix said, make your own. Gluing will not hold. Any hardware store should be able to supply you with suitable stainless allen bolts & washers to keep it looking nice, then sandwich a stack of rubber washers inbetween. Don't overtighten so there is still some cushion.