Idling problem after Mistral installation

taminatorv

I've got a 2001 V11 Sport that is basically stock except for PCIII and Mistral ovals. Before installing the Mistrals, my idle was good, typically stable at around 1100rpm. After running it for a while and thoroughly warmed up, the idle increased a little bit. After installing the Mistrals and the appropriate PCIII map, the idle slows down as the engine warms. It's especially bad after riding for a while and coming to a stop. The idle will drop to as low as 700rpm and stumble. If I let it idle for a little bit, the idle will slowly creep back up to around 900rpm, but never back to 1100rpm or so that I set it at. If I stop the engine and start it back up after no more than a minute, the idle returns back to 1100rpm.

I've tried richening and leaning out the idle with the PCIII, but it didn't make a difference. The TBs are balanced and the valves are set to world spec. It runs great other than the idling problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tam

Hi Tam,

Hmm, sounds odd. I run the exact same stuff as you do (PCIII and Mistral CF cans). The only difference is my Mistral x-over. I'm mechanically challenged so I cannot tell whether this could be the gremlin?

Besides that balancing your throttle bottles - as already stated - is the only feasible solution that I can up with.

Strange..... :huh2:

Ciao Søren

When did you last set your valve lash, and what values did you use? Valves set too tight make the bike idle poorly when hot.

The last time I set the valve lash was around 6k miles and it's now nearing 10k miles. I've also balanced the TBs twice since 6k miles and it continues to idle and run smoothly, just has the dropping problem when hot. I didn't think it was either of those since the problem started right after I installed the Mistral and the new map on the PCIII. I'll definitely set my valve lash and TB again soon. That's one thing I love about our bikes is the ease of maintenance. :mg:

Try using "world" specs or "Raceco" specs or something in between. US specs are too tight (so, don't use the values in your maintenance booklet).

Here's the FAQ:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=611

I've only used world specs in the past. I probably just waited too long between adjustments, the last one about 4k miles ago.

Thanks for everyones advise.