Bent footpeg, Ugh, NYC Parking

guzziownr

With my Eldo off the road for a clutch and a cam the V11 has been pressed into daily commuting.

Some neanderthal backed into it and bent the peg.

No other damage thankfully.

bent.jpg

I corralled my 15yo cousin to help out, promising that he could hold the torch.

His eyes got big when he saw that I wasn't kidding...

I took the peg off by removing the circlip and bolt, clamped it in the vice and slowly raised the temperature with a heat gun. I used a big combination wrench as a lever and gave some experimental pulls with no effect.

The propane torch came next. The young'un applying heat with a manic expression of glee.

After a minute or two the peg softened enough to move. It isn't straight per se but at least my foot won't be slipping off as yellow cabs try to send me to paradise. Whatever finish is on the pegs stood up nicely and there are no obvious signs of cracks on the peg.

unbent.jpg

DW

Ah! Is there supposed to be an "O" ring in the groove of the brake pedal stop?

My pedal stop has never touched the lever, you can pull the brake lever up until it hits the ally eccentric so there is play when the M/C is at rest. The rear brake has always worked just fine, so what is the purpose of the rubber ring and the stop except to stop the pedal being inadvertantly pulled up too far?

I notice the "O" ring is cracked like all the other elastomer materials on the Guzzi so I guess mine must have fallen off.

Guest ratchethack

Thanks for y'er post, DW. I'm facing a similar thing this afternoon. The worst of my concerns were that the forging wouldn't take heat & bending without looking like something that came out of a slag heap afterward. I couldn't tell if it was plated or not. I reckon not.

I'll fire up the torch and have at it meself.

Thanks f'er the inspiration. :thumbsup:

Ah! Is there supposed to be an "O" ring in the groove of the brake pedal stop?

My pedal stop has never touched the lever, you can pull the brake lever up until it hits the ally eccentric so there is play when the M/C is at rest. The rear brake has always worked just fine, so what is the purpose of the rubber ring and the stop except to stop the pedal being inadvertantly pulled up too far?

I notice the "O" ring is cracked like all the other elastomer materials on the Guzzi so I guess mine must have fallen off.

I still have my O-ring, but the spring does not return it.

I wonder if Brembo used too short of a spring :huh2:

That might explain some of the quick wear of rear brake pads.

Did we cover this topic before?

If Brembo did not put in too short of a spring, I can only imagine the adjuster helps prevent damage from hyper extension of the piston. :huh2:

Thanks for y'er post, DW. I'm facing a similar thing this afternoon. The worst of my concerns were that the forging wouldn't take heat & bending without looking like something that came out of a slag heap afterward. I couldn't tell if it was plated or not. I reckon not.

I'll fire up the torch and have at it meself.

Thanks f'er the inspiration. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the thanks. I have done this with hand levers in the past with excellent results. My chief worry was that the thing would start to smoke and turn black. If that happened I was going to strip it and the other one to match.

DW

Guest ratchethack

Just finished the job. With a new "barnyard hose-job" slipped-on f'er max grip at the man-machine interface :wub: , it looks like new, a mirror-image of the other peg. There's no hint that it was once bent over at close to 90 degrees.

Thanks again, DW. :thumbsup: