MG Rookie

Richard Z

Hello,

Just purchased my first MG. 2004 V11 Naked. Red of course. 0 miles. Dealer and I finally agreed on a price. Actually, I agreed on their price.

Myself: I've ridden 24 years. Have ridden all sorts of things. Started out with Benelli's and Bridgestones, Had some old Harley's. Currently have, 1982 Kaw Eddie Lawson replica R1, 1982 Kaw GPz750, 1980 Suz. GS1000s Wes Cooley Replica, 1972 Suz. GT750J WaterBuffalo.

Why the Guzzi? All my friends ride BMW's and Ducati's. Don't like either of them. I did fall in love with a 2004 Ballabio that I seen and I started looking closer at them. I didn't care for the flat color on the tail section of the Ballabio so I found this new 04 Naked that was red. Almost bought a Ducati S2R but just couldn't get away from the Guzzi.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of dumb questions. Most of them because, I can't find the answer in the owners manual. I'll spend the next month lurking at websites since the riding weather has turned ugly in the past couple of days.

I am currently restoring my ELR. Over the Labor Day Holiday, September 3rd I was hit by a car on it and ran into a barbed wire fence. My leathers did their job. However, there wasn't any prtection behind the knees and my right leg was severed behind the knee. I spent 36 days in the hospital having my artery, tendons and muscles repaired. I've been back to work for 3 weeks. I'm really looking forward to riding again.

Keep the rubber side down,

Richard Z.

Wellcome to the forum and congrats for your bike, allways ride safe.!!

Well , there are nice blockes around here and no matter the question, i don't think it would be concidered stupid or whatever, you see we're not "smarta$$es" here. Some have more experience and some less but it is always some fun hanging around here.

:bier:

Welcome- and thank goodness you came out ok. :mg: Enjoy the bike!

Its home. I went and picked it up this mornin. Trucked it home. The roads are still wet and Icy. My confidence level isn't what it used to be. Maybe not so much my confidence, but the trust in the cagers we loan the road too. I really can't wait to ride the sport. I have been on so many Ducati's and Beemer's of friends of mine that I'm ready to ride something new and MINE...... Here are the pics from the ride home.

IM000846.jpg

IM000845.jpg

IM000842.jpg

IM000843.jpg

Richard Z.

Almost forgot... Here is a pic of my skin graft from about 2 weeks ago.

IM000752.jpg

IM000753.jpg

Welcome Richard.

I'm glad that they saved the leg. Is the prognosis for a full function recovery? Keep up the OT :thumbsup:

a nice stable you have there the V11 should feel at home, despite being 20 years the junior.

The leg should be fine with plenty of Therapy. I will probably have a slight limp. No more water skiing for sure. I was a hour from the hospital and a bunjee cord was used to clamp the leg to keep from losing more blood. The leg is completely numb from the knee down and I have RSD, (nerve ending damage).

Should get more feeling in it as life goes on.

The Guzzi will probably be the journey and weekend bike. I will use the GPz as my daily rider. I see alot a similarities between the superbikes of years ago and the new naked sport bikes of today. Glad to see that trend. I've had my share of FZR's and GSXR's in the early 1990's to keep away from all that plastic. besides, insurance is much cheaper. The waterbuffalo will still be my albatros of the bunch. Talk about a conversation piece at the local cruise in. Nothing in the world sounds like it and is as ugly.....

Thanks, for the warm welcome. Sorry for the odd avatar. I'll have to make a new one that will be for this site and fine with the censors and lawyers.

Richard Z.

Welcome Richard,

Coming from Honda's to Guzzi, I can assure you that the atmosphere in the Guzzi scene is very relaxed, and fun. There are no silly questions, Guzzi's have some weird things, so just ask. (only if you want advice on exhausts and tires, you might want to use the search option since there is no 1 answer to that)

For your leg it may be worth wile in looking into lowered footpegs, will probably result in a bit more relaxing position for you. Use the search on it, there are some Buell and aftermarket options...

Cheers,

KiloSjon

Welcome Richard,

Coming from Honda's to Guzzi, I can assure you that the atmosphere in the Guzzi scene is very relaxed, and fun. There are no silly questions, Guzzi's have some weird things, so just ask. (only if you want advice on exhausts and tires, you might want to use the search option since there is no 1 answer to that)

For your leg it may be worth wile in looking into lowered footpegs, will probably result in a bit more relaxing position for you. Use the search on it, there are some Buell and aftermarket options...

Cheers,

KiloSjon

Thanks for the tip on the foot pegs. Before I bought the Guzzi, I looked at a 1996 Buell S-1 with only 187 miles on it. Might as well have been new. I didn't like the idea of need a kidney transplant after riding the twin jackhammer a on a long trip. You wouldn't believe how many people tried to get me to buy a Harley for the forward controls because of the leg. I'll buy a Harley when they release the XR1220 that was at the International Bike Show.

That should have read XR1200. Not XR1220. I can't seem to be able to EDIT my post for corrections?

Richard Z.

2007_Harley_Davidson_XR1200prototypeb_small.jpg

Ouch!

Welcome!

Glad the leg's mending.

Membership on here is divided between the entertainingly insane and the hugely knowledgeable. Judge the proportions for yourself. Like Guzzis themselves, it's an acquired taste, but strangely more-ish.

Oh, and you bought the best V11 variant.

Ride safe,

Bob