spark plug indexing?

Josh

Indexing plugs is another part of the total "blueprinting" package. Takes very little time or effort, won't hurt, they'll be positioned precisely everytime...but your not going to gain horsepower or cut your times in the 1/4 mile! "Might" help throttle response minutely though...better off running Iridium plugs if your going to play with spark plugs looking for a noticable throttle response and idle improvement. :2c:

Indexing plugs is another part of the total "blueprinting" package. Takes very little time or effort, won't hurt, they'll be positioned precisely everytime...but your not going to gain horsepower or cut your times in the 1/4 mile! "Might" help throttle response minutely though...better off running Iridium plugs if your going to play with spark plugs looking for a noticable throttle response and idle improvement. :2c:

I've read that iridium and platinum are poor conductors compared to copper or silver.The only advantages of these plugs is there life expectancy, as they don't wear as quickley as regular plugs. I'm not really worried about my spark plugs lasting 100,000 miles.

Guest Nigelstephens

The narrow conductor of iridium plugs gives a more easily produced spark that is less likely to be affected by fouling. I appear to have weak coils on mine as irridium runs fine but standard plugs cause a missfire (even new ones).

Not looking to debate Iridiums, was just mentioning them in passing. But I do use Iridiums in both current bikes, and have used them in previous Triumphs (one an older Bonneville) And as is usual there are doubters as to what is promised in the marketing. All I will say is that I've used them on four different bikes (old electronic ignition and modern) and everything NGK says on their packaging is true, on older bikes very definate...newer bikes to a lesser extent, but still an improvement, especially throttle response. The concept behind Iridiums is not only long life, but the ability and (resultant desired benefits) of reducing the center electrode in size so as to create a pinpoint firing end......a path of less resistance, less surface area for energy to flow through....focused. Study up on it and it makes perfect sense...and it works. I've found that the biggest issue when discussing with those that doubt Iridiums benefits is from a horsepower/dyno perspective. And that is the hardest debate to discuss with someone with that logic, because that's what most are looking for, more power, right? Too many assume that a more expensive plug or concept should give more power....power-power-power!!! We are a power hungy people. But, on a dyno there has been no measurable increase with these plugs..or any oyther latest greatest plug...Why?

Well, as we all know.......spark plugs do not make/add horsepower.....never have, never will....any claims to more power is pure marketing propaganda. Read...study. And then think Splitfire! Marketing hype gone amuck!

Sparkplugs only allow what the ignition system is capable of producing to ignite the mixture. NGK and Denso both do not claim power increases. But, throttle response, idle quality, starting, and plug life "can" be improved, especially by different materials and designs....v-groove, u-grooves, tapered smaller elctrodes, iridium etc, etc.. And a dyno will not show throttle response or starting and idle improvements....there are many who think of a dyno as the litmus test when it comes to sparkplugs.

Old magneto ignitions, points type ignitions and older electronic ignitions with carbs? Iridium all the way. Newer bikes with fuel injection etc won't show as much of an improvement, but throttle response at the very least, at least from what I've seen on my bikes and read of. (might note that all my bikes were in top running order before switching over)

"Most".....that doubt these plugs have never tried them, mostly due to cost and a cynicism of marketing hype...which they then follow up with the "they don't make more power" response. That's what I've found from reading and debating on countless forums. Read up and you will see that this is the case. There are some who have had problems, but we never know the full extent of engine condition and state of tune, or if they were the correct heat range, set at correct gap and that the air/fuel ratio and metering is correct. Switching plugs and assuming all else does not matter or relate can cause problems. Fine tuning needs to be done., especially on older bikes with carbs.

It all boils down to whether someone believes they improve throttle response, idle, and starting....The long life is certain. That much most agree on. But, ultimately, how much (amount of improvement- big or small) are these improvements worth? People do spend more $$$ on things that give lesser or no improvements.......Just forget about more horsepower showing up on a dyno run after installing them....a waste of time.

All I need to do is index my iridiums.........right! :homer: