New to Guzzi...question

NorBSATriGuzzi

I have had 1 shaft drive bike before...a 32 year old BMW, so I know they feel a bit different when jumping on the throttle. But is my 200 V11 supposed to jump when accelerating and decelling? You know, it is not reostat smooth. Could the U-joint be worn?

A worn universal will give you noise (clunk on & off throttle) & vibration at speed under load. Elaborate more on what you are experiencing. The V11 is pretty torquey and has is capable of some pretty serious engine braking when you close the throttle. She requires a light touch on the throttle to ride smoothly

If it's not lash in the drive train, check the suspension eyes and also the parallelogram linkage above the shaft. They're the places that spring to mind that might cause this.

But my money is on lhs rear wheel bearings I think that was the first symptom I noticed. If it is check the inner spacer - it will be too short. Infact do this first - sideways rocking test on rear wheel.

Guest Mattress

I have had 1 shaft drive bike before...a 32 year old BMW, so I know they feel a bit different when jumping on the throttle. But is my 200 V11 supposed to jump when accelerating and decelling? You know, it is not reostat smooth. Could the U-joint be worn?

Well, I think this could be a "perception" issue. I mean is it bucking really hard?? The V11 does not have a really sophisticated anti-shaft jack, but compared to an 80 BMW it sure seems smooth. It seems you are more in tune with the feel of a chain judging by your profile. Do you have a Guzzi dealer or another Guzzisti that can take it for a short ride?

and yeah, the engine braking is pretty strong.............and it sounds oh so cool Dude through the Staintunes.

I think it's almost certainly a perception issue. I've driven Guzzi's for 20 odd years and I think the V11 sport has more driveline lash than any other model I've had. It helps if you stay higher in the rpms (a good idea anyhow) and you have to learn to be smoooooth on the throttle.

Check the suspension eyes anyhow- that's just good common sense advice. But put the bike up on a stand and see for yourself how much you can rotate the rear wheel while in gear. A lot.

It helps if you stay higher in the rpms (a good idea anyhow) and you have to learn to be smoooooth on the throttle.

He's not just whistlin Dixie here :whistle: The engine brake is stronger than the rear brake :lol: When my front brake got snapped off in a parking lot snafu I drove it the 3 or so miles through town just using the rear and engine brake, Really not safe but I didn't want a tow and it wasn't far to the shop, or on any fast streets. Throttle control comes with time but make sure your TB linkage is properly greased I had mine seize up on me wide open :o grease the actual twist grip and cable too sometimes, makes a difference :thumbsup:

Hmmm :oldgit:

A 32 year old Beemer.........Maybe it's just the pure fat torque of the Guzzi.

You've got a beast between your legs there ya' know..

Thanks all...I will do some investigation just to make sure all is OK but I think you are right in saying it may be perception. I rode a bit today (the temp was above 15 degrees :rolleyes: ) and the more I rode it the less I noticed it. You would think that with 5 bikes of varying breeds and layouts I would realize they all have thier quirks and take some getting used to.

Thanks all...I will do some investigation just to make sure all is OK but I think you are right in saying it may be perception. I rode a bit today (the temp was above 15 degrees :rolleyes: ) and the more I rode it the less I noticed it. You would think that with 5 bikes of varying breeds and layouts I would realize they all have thier quirks and take some getting used to.

Guest Mattress

Hmmm :oldgit:

A 32 year old Beemer.........Maybe it's just the pure fat torque of the Guzzi.

You've got a beast between your legs there ya' know..

Well, the original Beemer WAS a beast. BMW engineers had to de-tune it to make it saleable to the public.

The first opposed-twin BMW prototype was a brute. Few test riders could handle it's wild wheelie nature. The torque and power were so great the frames would crumple and bend. Eventually they had a frame and driveline that would survive the engine.

Max Klingleschmidt, the famed BMW test pilot, was given the challenge to tame the new prototype beast. When Max was coming onto the straight at Hockenheim, he nailed the throttle wide open to see what she had.

The great beast snapped up it's front wheel and bludgeoned Max repeatedly with the gas tank. His pulpy bloody face looked like a training bag for Joe Louis.

And that is how it came to be named "THE BOXER". :glare: