Dirty Bird Lives!

slug

Finally got a temporary title for Dirty Bird and put him (mostly) back together today. Took him for a test ride, the first time since I crashed him three months ago. I was worried that he would have some weird damage that I couldn't find without riding him, but all seems well mechanically. :) The new Mistral ovals and Stucci x-over sound sooooooooo good. Life is good. :) So here's what Dirty Bird looks like now:

PDRM0078.jpg

PDRM0077.jpg

What you can't see is the finished carbon fiber undertail I just made. The tail section is temporary, I'm still making a mold from my original so I can build one out of carbon fiber. I'm also working on building a mold for the tank pad on pre-2003 tanks so I can make those from carbon fiber. I also have a mold built for the seat cowl, just need to polish it & it'll be ready to go. Once I'm happy with how the parts are turning out, I'll start selling 'em. If you're interested, let me know.

If you wanna see what I'm working on, here's a few pics.

Also, I got to test ride an Aprilia SXV 4.5 today. Scary fun. :o It was wet out and I haven't ridden in three months so I took it easy, but WOW! If my employer would only pay me what I think I'm worth, I'd snatch a couple up for me and the Mrs...

Looking good!

How much of your bike was a Rosso Mandello?

What are it's origins?

Could you keep the front wheel down on the SVX?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks!

My bike started out as a green '02-'03 Sport Naked. My tank was scratched up pretty bad and Moto International had this Rosso Mandello tank for cheap (has an itty-bitty scratch on the left side). Once I finish making the tank pad mold and get the original tank repainted green I might sell this tank.

No, I couldn't keep the front wheel down. :D:D:D For a second I was thinking "why isn't this thing steering????" I don't have much experience on dirt-style bikes and it really scared me (partly 'cause it wasn't my bike) and I actually cut the ride short. Maybe I can try it again when it's dry...

Thanks!

My bike started out as a green '02-'03 Sport Naked. My tank was scratched up pretty bad and Moto International had this Rosso Mandello tank for cheap (has an itty-bitty scratch on the left side). Once I finish making the tank pad mold and get the original tank repainted green I might sell this tank.

No, I couldn't keep the front wheel down. :D:D:D For a second I was thinking "why isn't this thing steering????" I don't have much experience on dirt-style bikes and it really scared me (partly 'cause it wasn't my bike) and I actually cut the ride short. Maybe I can try it again when it's dry...

I reallly want one of those SXV's for a toy down the road, now those are fricken ssweeeeeeeettttttttt I'd say more fun than those over priced BMDubbyas :grin: I may be able to get one cheaper than a Ulysses even, I'm sure not as comfy as either mentioned tho. but man what a toy if I ever saw one. :P:

I reallly want one of those SXV's for a toy down the road, now those are fricken ssweeeeeeeettttttttt I'd say more fun than those over priced BMDubbyas :grin: I may be able to get one cheaper than a Ulysses even, I'm sure not as comfy as either mentioned tho. but man what a toy if I ever saw one. :P:

The SXV seat is not comfy for sure. I think it's designed to re-split your crack if your cheeks have started to join together :o Price-wise they're a steal for what you get.

I think this bike is #2 on the 'gotta have it' list. #1 is a pair of BMW F650's for me and Mrs. Slug. I showed her the advrider.com site and she's really liking the idea of dirt rides, camping, scenery and all that. All we need is money. :homer:

Bianchi with Campagnolo?

I wish... <_ the green bianchi has a mishmash of dura-ace ultegra. i barely ride it anymore since bought pista chrome one fixed gear track bikes are so much fun for riding around town>