Guzzi woes..

ShiftyAl

Guest Mattress

It really sounds to me like a vapour lock caused by the fuel lines which are too close to the cylinders. 1 or 2 stops are enough to heat up the fuel in the tank, which then cannot cool the lines when the pump is turned on. This exact thing happened to me several times, always after I'd stopped for something. I spent alot of time re-routing the lines away from the cylinders [one of which was actually nestled right up against the inside of the left barrell]. They really were frickin' idiots when the routed the lines at the factory.

Ciao, Steve

Good observation Dude......

I dig your style

Pre 2002 bikes have an external tank fuel filter. You can't clean it, all you can do is replace it, which must be done every 20,000 kms.

Ciao, Steve

There is a small filter in the tank above the pet-cock. It can be cleaned.

the external filter under the tank can be blown out with compressed air. It will certainly improve matters, if it is dirty. If you want to see, then blow unto a clean rag and see what comes out. Blow against the direction of petrol flow, and use a bit of feel. :P Sounds to me as if you might have had a tank of contaminated petrol. that can happen if the service station has been almost running dry, and they have sucked from the bottom of the storage tank where you often have suspended solids (rust, dust, sand etc)

It is easy to se if this is the problem though, loosen the fuel pipe before the throttle body and switch the bike on. See what comes through. Let us know what you find. good luck.

Guest ratchethack

I've played the 'outta gas ' game with my Sport on numerous occasions. Me and "Rube" are cookin' up solutions to get that extra gallon as the single malt level goes ever down . . .

The electric (pet)cock is known to be sketchy in it's fuel delivery. Swapping to a mechanical unit is a good way to isolate that part of the equation.

Otherwise, check that very last fuse for the 'electric cock' to be sure it is seated well.

Docc, if you solve this one I'm gonna see if we can gin up a prize. Seems like one simple, elegant solution would be to route an internal return hose from the fuel pressure regulator over the hump to the left-hand side, but that still leaves fuel trapped on the right-hand side. This would at least provide a "tip left" reserve, in the manner of my old '51 Excelsior. -_- Worked like a Champ on the Excelsior, but it was a 197cc Villiers-powered 2-stroke that probably weighed only 250 lbs or so. The "tip left" fuel reserve drill on a 530 lb Guzzi would take - er, quite a bit more effort. . . . . <_<

Well...I rode it again today with no problems, but none of my trips involved hard riding with short stops. At this point I tend to agree with the diagnosis of vapor lock. I honestly never thought vapor lock would apply to a motorcycle, but it now totally makes sense. Due to school and finals, I've yet to thoroughly go over the bike. I intend to do that this next week and all of the suggestions given here will be followed up on.

My list of parts to replace and refurbish is mounting already. I'm going to start another thread about recommendations for those. On a lighter note....I am esctatic about my purchase of my CRG lane-splitter mirrors and CRG adjustable levers. It's a serious improvement both functionally and aesthetically over the prior sets! B)

I'll post here if I find any proof of this issue being something other than vapor lock.

Thanks again.

Alan

Check your fuel. I had a TR-7 for a long time that would collect water in the gas tank. It would reach a point where a hard turn would push it all to the same side of the tank as the pickup, then a couple miles later I would start the sputter routine. The FI return line keeps things pretty well stirred up in the tank, but it is possible you have a puddle under your gas and sucked a little in.

If it is vapor lock, there won't be much fuel return when the pump is running, so you should be able to look in and see how much "current" is in the tank.

Good luck.

10,000km you mean. ;)

Yup, it said right here, page 99 of the 2001 V11 Sport Service Schedule; heading 20,000 kms [12,000 miles], the letter r for replace, right beside the fuel filter.

Then turn to page 140, sub heading Changing fuel filter, that the filter is fitted between the 2 cylinders, that there is only ONE, that it is paper element. You really think it's a good idea to get in there with a high pressure air line to "dislodge" any foreign elements. There's not too many dumber things I can think be done to a fuel filter like this.

Another note I'll make on this problem these bikes have. If you do find it happen again, take note of the slightly different pitch of sound the pump makes as you first turn the key on. You will find it sounds like it's running a bit higher, without resistance, and gurgling, like it's playing with air. Well, it's vapourised gasoline. You can burp this out, and be on your way in 5 minutes. The fuel line off the left side of the tank, the fuel on/off valve, loosen that line, and move it around a bit, don't remove it. It will start hissing vapourised gas, after 15-30 seconds, it will stop, tighten the fuel clamp, get your helmet on, and it won't give you any trouble for at least two of these instances.