Oil Change - Winter or Spring?

wildbill

Curious - I like to change my oil last thing before storing my bike for the winter, but a mate of mine suggests that oil should be changed first thing in the spring, and there is no harm leaving rather dirty (2500 miles?) oil in the sump all winter. I would think that could be corrosive. What say you? Thanks folks.

The acidic impurities of incomplete combustion are kept within the oil. The oil, among other things, also acts as a filter, which of course is changed. Changing this burdened oil before you store the bike away, it gives the acidic qualities and moisture no chance of eating away at the bearings.

Autumn is the best time.

Ciao, Steve

Change very time that has to be changed.every 3.5-4k miles or once a year if less miles are in it has to be chaned., if you want to use your bike now an the oil is a bit old then change it now.

I change my oil 2-3 times a year (9-12Kkm) and the motor is like new inside (yes have opened it recently)

The acidic impurities of incomplete combustion are kept within the oil. The oil, among other things, also acts as a filter, which of course is changed. Changing this burdened oil before you store the bike away, it gives the acidic qualities and moisture no chance of eating away at the bearings.

Autumn is the best time.

Ciao, Steve

+1

at least that's what I've read