pls help, new tail lights don't blink

wheelsucker

I'm installing some of the Aprilia RXV LED turn signal tail lights on my Le Mans. When I plugged them up they don't blink and the light just stays lit. When I switch back to the oem blinker everything works fine, do I need to buy a relay or something? Thanks.

I think there's not enough impedance(resistance)in the new lights, so is not drawing enough current to cause the flasher unit to flash (heat up and become intermittent)

There are some threads on Led blinkers which discuss this. But I'm sure a sparky guru will be along shortly.

Actually there is too much resistance in the new light. More resistance = less amps = no heating of the bi-metallic inside the flasher relay. Simple solution. Most auto parts store sell an electronic flasher relay that is not dependant of amp's to cause it to flash. It will plug right in and you then have flashers again.

Actually there is too much resistance in the new light. More resistance = less amps = no heating of the bi-metallic inside the flasher relay. Simple solution. Most auto parts store sell an electronic flasher relay that is not dependant of amp's to cause it to flash. It will plug right in and you then have flashers again.

forgive me if I'm wrong but if there was too much resistance wouldn't the new signal light fail to light? When I try and signal, the appropriate signal comes on but it just stays lit. I've searched and found someone suggesting a resistor for this type of problem. I didn't have this problem when I installed my front ones, they were plug and play.

For the same amount of light output, LED's are much more efficient, requiring less current at the nominal voltage. This equates to the LED's being of higher resistance.

You could try adding resistors in parallel with the LED's to increase the load (i.e. lower the overall resistance), but the electronic flasher is a simpler and more efficient solution.

Thanks for all the reply's, I got it to work. For some odd reason the LED's only work when the bike is running unlike the stock ones. One of the LED's also went out which caused the whole thing to not blink as well. Replaced the bulb/diode and all is good.

So for future reference, when adding LED lights they should work but the bike needs to be running otherwise the lights will just stay lit and not blink.