Thoughts on a Sport 110?

mojohand

1_1_.jpgBMW of Daytona was trying to sell this one on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $5995 with less than 3K miles. I don't think it sold. This thing is bone stock, so you could do it up the way you like!

Try to get them down a little on this one. The Eagle is facing backwards on the tank. :mg:

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

I an certain the Eagle was always intended to face forward. I have seen many that were not. Probably a result of using whatever they had at the moment. A number of [wrong] ones I have seen were original paint jobs, not repaints. Call me picky, but that is something I would consider correcting, if it were me.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Try to get them down a little on this one. The Eagle is facing backwards on the tank. :mg:

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Jeebus folks,

First the black speedo doubters, now the eagle doubters.

You'd think no one around here had ever seen a Sport 1100 before. :homer:

Every Sport 1100 I've ever seen had the left eagle facing rearwards. The right eagle facing forwards.

My Sport:

122368836-M.jpg

122368813-M.jpg

122368957-M.jpg

124515615-M.jpg

Great shots. I noticed in the Yahoo! photos I sent that it looks like the original owner put in a breather tube in the final drive. I hear that's a good thing. The tank is metal, right? so if I wanted to put a magnetic tank bag on it, I could. Right now, for my Breva, of course I've got a thre-point strap one. I thought about bringing my Cortech Sport tail bag and my tank bag out, plus maybe buying the Cortech side panniers.

Mike, didn't I see a picture of your Sport 1100 with a Givi trunk bungeed on? How'd you do that, and how well did it work? I've got one for my Breva...maybe I could use that with a big tank bag...

IMG_0309.jpg

Yes the tank is metal final, drive breather done right its not a bad thing providing its got a check valve to stop the oil comming out as well. Or you could use the take 24mm? spanner go for a long flog on a warmish day. Undo the fill plug and relive any preasure then screw it back on when it cools if the seals are any good there will be a slight negative preasure in the box before it heats up again.

Great shots. I noticed in the Yahoo! photos I sent that it looks like the original owner put in a breather tube in the final drive. I hear that's a good thing. The tank is metal, right? so if I wanted to put a magnetic tank bag on it, I could. Right now, for my Breva, of course I've got a thre-point strap one. I thought about bringing my Cortech Sport tail bag and my tank bag out, plus maybe buying the Cortech side panniers.

Mike, didn't I see a picture of your Sport 1100 with a Givi trunk bungeed on? How'd you do that, and how well did it work? I've got one for my Breva...maybe I could use that with a big tank bag...

IMG_0309.jpg

I've heard of people putting in the breather tube. I've also heard the check valve is a good idea, as Murray said.

Tank is metal. I use a large magnetic Marsee tank bag.

Yes. You saw a pic with a GiVi E50.

23315332-M.jpg

I acquired an extra pillion seat. I bought a GiVi adapter plate and bolted it to the extra pillion seat. The bungee you see was just a safety I used because the pillion is only held down at two points. The lock at the front and the locating tab at the rear. I had a week's worth of gear in that bag. It worked great !!! I only used that setup a few times. If I were gonna make it a regular deal, I'd figure out a more secure mounting for the pillion pad and/or the GiVi plate. The GiVi adapter plate cost me something like $50. The extra pillion was free.

I've used Cortech panniers, too. I borrowed them one time for a trip. Worked fine. The Sport's hips kind of get in the way, but the setup worked for a 1000 mile ride.

Judging from the photos, you'll want to switch to a different tire once you get the bike home. Something with a more pointy profile. I'd recommend the Metzeler Z6 Roadtec for light handling and 8,000 mile service life. Bridgestone BT-014 if you want something real sticky and don't mind a 3,000 mile service life.

I can provide more pics of the GiVi setup, if you like... Let me know...

Great notes, Mike. Gives me more idea.

I'm thinking that, since I own the Cortech tail bag already, buying the matching side bags makes sense. But I'd certainly like more info on the Givi mount. Pics are always nice.

Thanks to all for the advice/comments!

I test-rode the bike yesterday. Great bike, solid, no issues...but it just didn't fit me. Having the easier throttle cable was nice, its responsiveness came fluidly, and its steering was quite stable. However, I'm a tad too tall at 6'0" for it...found that I got some pain in my left 'blade and wrist after 30 minutes. Too, I felt topheavy on it. So, for me, I had to pass.

Yet I think it's well worth the $4900 or so he's selling it for (maybe a little less with cash). If anyone's looking for a great deal on a solid Sport 1100, contact Kirk at KELGroup@aol.com for this bike.