Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch project

jenslh

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

I really like that logo layout and hope that this junkers watch is similar and not just printed on the face. Those the factory issued watch is shite, looks somewhat nice but a throw awayer :huh2:

tell me more about these dials. I just want the dial to look nice and the picture looks like a walmat timex, do they have examples of their work somewhere? I just want to sleep better that the dail will rock, too bad about not using the new logo but the old one is nice too.

It can be difficult to see the design details from on the picture of the dial, so here's a short explanation:

- The dial itself is black and structured to make it look like the corrugated steel plates on a veteran JUNKERS plane.

- Digits and markings will be white and shaped like on the 6256-2.

- Eagle and "Moto Guzzi" will be printed in red on the dial. Having metal logo's cast for such a small series would raise the price way above what most people would be prepared to pay..

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must weigh nearly a half pound. And it's huge. I only wear it on special occasions like my anniversary which oddly enough, is today, which is why I even have it out of its fancy metal box with the Moto Guzzi logoed lid.

Happy anniversary,

:2c: Well, you don't have to wear something you really like only in spcial occations.If it is something nice why not enjoying it more often , or even every day.

:bier:

Happy anniversary,

:2c: Well, you don't have to wear something you really like only in spcial occations.If it is something nice why not enjoying it more often , or even every day.

:bier:

Uh well, you see - it's a lovely watch, beautiful even externally, but inside it's just a watch. No light and no alarm The wrist band is Italian class weird and can't be made to fit my wrist, so it's kind of sloppy or too tight. It's a really nice watch, but kind of low on the everyday utility side of things so I seldom wear it. Tonight, my wife and I will celebrate our 28th anniversary and for that, the watch gets worn.

Uh well, you see - it's a lovely watch, beautiful even externally, but inside it's just a watch. No light and no alarm The wrist band is Italian class weird and can't be made to fit my wrist, so it's kind of sloppy or too tight. It's a really nice watch, but kind of low on the everyday utility side of things so I seldom wear it. Tonight, my wife and I will celebrate our 28th anniversary and for that, the watch gets worn.

Have allways a good time and my best wishes to you for your anniversary. :bier::bier:

Guest Mattress

I'm sort of partial to this factory authorized item - but it's no longer available. About 170 Euros when you could get them.

I bought one at the MGNA rally in Iowa last summer. Really striking watch. Not very big, just fit my skinny wrist, probably was sized for the same 150lb rider they tune the spring rates towards.

Of course being a Moto Guzzi item, its needed a repair for 6months. The clasp wore out where it wont stay closed. The manual says send the watch back to MG, but gave no address :P .

You're dead wrong there mate. This is one of the nicest watches I've ever owned, nicer even than some of the Accutron watches I've had in the distant past. It has a massive polished stainless steel case with the Moto Guzzi eagle etched on the back as well as the raised eagle and lettering on the face. It's still a perfectly common electronic watch inside, but the case and band are first rate. When I say massive though, I'm not kidding. It must weigh nearly a half pound. And it's huge. I only wear it on special occasions like my anniversary which oddly enough, is today, which is why I even have it out of its fancy metal box with the Moto Guzzi logoed lid.

Better put than my description. Like you I was impressed with the "machined stainless chunks" feel of the watch. The red dial is beautiful. Mine needs a polish, cause the virgin stainless is so beautifully polished any litle scratches show. The steel is almost a mirror!

I think the weight of the watch contributed to the clasp wearing out. First signs were that when I moved my left arm fast, the momentum would pull it open. Now it won't stay closed.

I'm hoping a good jeweler can braze some material on it or match up another clasp.

I'm not going to trust sending it back to the factory. It might never return, and it works great otherwise.

Hi Jens, Hi all !!!

I'm in for the watch. As I was telling Jens, I like Guzzi & old automatic watches. It might be a bit pricey, but heck, what do you get lately for real cheap ? Anyhow, since it takes me most of my riding time to decide which bike to ride ( I have three ), I thought it was fit to get a third automatic watch so I can waste more time now in choosing which to wear before I even make it to the garage !!!

We need still a few more fellows to join along, in order to get the 50 orders required. So volunteer yourself, or pass the word out. Here is a chance to increase your individualism : not only you don't find too many other Guzzis on the road, but man, what the chance you catch up with another guzzi fellow and he also wear the Guzzi watch ?

Thanks to all the bold souls out there...

Bye.

Thierry

It is a beautiful watch, but like Callison said, "kind of low on the utility side." I have a Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 8700 and a Tissot Touch Titanium. Both of them pretty pricey at $450 and $650, but even the Eco drive has an alarm, keeps track of leap year, day of the week, and has crystal glass. So I have no problem paying for a good watch if its functional. I would rather pay extra money for the MG watch if they added more functionality. I looked at the Junkers website and they do have some nice watches, but I know not everyone can afford or would want to pay for a $500 watch. Hope you guys get a good turn out so that maybe this will lead to MG runs of other products.

I've recently been tempted by an Omega Seamaster and Panerai. So this looks like an absolute bargain in comparison. I'm in for this one. Hopefully it will satisfy my new watch craving! :lol: Even if it doesn't, it's cool! :drink:

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

Status of the project is that we’re now having 20 pre-orders. And with the project only a few days old, its a lot better than I could ever hope for. It’s actually amazing what the Moto Guzzi comunity is capable of doing. Thanks for your interest and support so far.

The project information page now has a pre-order counter included: http://www.guzzitech.dk/wristwatch

A few people wished the watch had features like alarm or chronograph, and this leads to a few general thoughts on owning a watch:

We must face the fact that nobody ”needs” a watch for timekeeping – there’s a watch in your cell phone, your PDA, and every kitchen appliance you own. So as an instrument for timekeeping, the watch is a thing of the past.

So, watch manufactores can basicly go two ways to keep up the interest (and sales). Add features or add luxury !

The factory can add more features to the watch to make it a tool like a Swiss army knife (alarm, chronograph, altimeter, compass, calculator, etc) This is the Citizen/Seiko way, and watches of this type are nearly always having a quartz movement.

But there’s another angle to consider: Being of the male gender, you have a limited choice of socially acceptable jewelry (This does not apply if you’re a regular visitor to the Blue Oyster bar or somewhere likewise). Your wife can wear 10 pieces of gold jewelry on visible parts of her body, and nobody will bother, but if you show up at work or at some formal party wearing four rings and a necklace, you will be regarded as some kind of pimp.

But you’re allowed to own a luxury watch and flash it in front of your buddies or the collegues at work. Now we’re suddenly in a field where materials, finish, tradition, craftmanship, and history counts, and thats why luxury watches are mostly made with a mechanical movement.

It’s probably a male thing, but having a fine, precision made mechanical machinery that you can wear on your wrist, is apealing to most men.

You have to decide for yourself which road to take, but I guess you can figure out my own preferences – I never said I was unbiased about this :-)

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

I like the idea, but it's to big for me, my current watch is only 32mm and 5 thick. I see that all selfwinding watches are thick. My Seiko does its job now for 15 years. I can't find a replacement.

:2c: Around 40 is an average acceptable without being too big or so.Well , with watches it is also a matter of taste at some point.I got my one Breitling with 44.8mm diameter (without crown) around 16mm thick and 250gram and the other is 48.7mm with 15mm, well their dials are complicated with scales and so on inside, so the time circle isn't bigger than 40-42mm but I can read time easy at a glance.... I have gotten used to them and don't like anything smaler...lol

A 40mm diameter, is minimum acceptable for easier time reading IMO,perhaps you have to try something bigger,and as it is also a matter of habit , after getting used to reading time easier, you won't go back to smaler diameters.