Forward foot position

Ryland3210

Guest Nigelstephens

I would like to say I had a good experience dealing with John. However, I had to sell by bike after placing an order.

I contacted John straight away and asked him to cancel the order and tear up the cheque.

He replied and tried to talk me round. I said no thanks.

2 weeks later he cashed the cheque anyway. Fortunately I had stopped it at the bank. Then he had the audacity to ask for his bank charges to be returned and sent an insulting email.

I contacted John straight away and asked him to cancel the order and tear up the cheque.

He replied and tried to talk me round. I said no thanks.

was this before or after despatch of goods?

:(

Having been burned before in dealing with people I do not know, my policy is to require payment prior to shipment.

It is regrettable that Nigel has taken his issue public. There has been no communication since May 15th. I thought that it was a dead issue, and wrote off my losses. Why he sees fit to now attempt impune my integrity, I have no idea. Here is the timeline of email correspondence:

April 4th, I thank him for the order.

April 12th, Nigel notifies me he is sending his check.

April 16h, I tell Nigel the check has arrived.

April 17th, Nigel requests order cancellation and for me to tear up the check.

April 18th (the next morning), I ask Nigel to reconsider and not back out of our deal (text below)

I receive no response from Nigel. Until this point, he has responded to my messages promptly. After some time, I believe he has probagbly decided to go through with our deal. I decide that if so, I want to keep his delivery on schedule. Bank of America tells me it could take as much as 3 weeks to clear. If decide that if he later decides to back out, I'll refund his money. I decide to deposit his check, knowing it will take quite a while to clear.

May 15th, Still having heard nothing from Nigel, the bank tells me his check bounced.

I send Nigel a request for $31.02 to cover the bank charges. Standard practice in industry on cancellation of orders for parts made to order, not normally stocked is a 20% cancellation charge. I thought the least Nigel could do was pay what it cost me, feeling it wouldn't break his bank.

There have been no further communications between us until this. I have made no attempt, nor will I, to collect the miserable $31, even though Nigel had earlier offered to reimburse me.

I have no idea what distructive objective motivates Nigel to take this public, or whether he has a conflict of interest of some form I am not aware of. He hasn't lost anything, except respect in my eyes.

Below is the sequence of messages:

-------------------------------------------------------

Sent: May 15, 2007

Nigel,

Since you did not respond to my message below, after waiting for quite some time, I deposited your check on the assumption I had persuaded you to carry through with our deal.

You could have saved us both trouble and expense if you had simply let me know you had not changed your mind, instead of taking the hardball step of stopping your check.

I can only assume you have been burned before, but I don't do business that way.

Kindly remit $31.02 to cover my bank charges so we can put this matter behind us.

John

---------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:11 AM

Subject: Re: Forward Foot Controls

Nigel,

That really hurts. I've invested thousands and released production on your controls on the basis that these first five customers would provide good references so I could try to recover my costs. I have to sell at least thirty sets, and I'm far from that.

I'm requesting that as a forum member and fellow motorcyclist, you not back out of our deal. Also, I think it is in your interest to go through with it.

Clearly these controls will enhance your resale value, and should add at least your cost, plus then some, to what you can sell the bike for. It should also make it appealing to more potential buyers looking for comfort on a sport bike. Since pricing these, I have learned that sets of brackets and levers typically cost 50% more. I spent over $450 just for new Centauro brackets and the shift lever to see how they went together, and to make sure my brackets weren't any lower.

The new owner will be able to choose original or foot forward, whichever he wants for a particular ride. It takes only about 30 minutes to make the change, since everything (including the Stainless hardware) is included.

I still have not yet deposited your check. Let me know what you want me to do.

Sincerely,

John

------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:15 PM

Subject: RE: Forward Foot Controls

Im really sorry that I am going to be selling the Guzzi. Please would you cancel the order and tear the check up. If you have already deposited it and you have charges I will gladly recompense you.

I'm sorry for the hastle but only deceided to move on to something else. Been having rather too many problems lately and its my only transport. Time to have someting more reliable.

Regards

Nigel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 16 April 2007 20:38

To: Nigel Stephens

Subject: Re: Forward Foot Controls

Hello Nigel,

Received your cheque for 231 BSP today.

Thanks,

John

Guest Nigelstephens

John, you still cashed the check even after I had asked you to tear it up. That is recorded in your own words. There is no argument about that.

This is before you sent the goods. So with my instruction to cancel and tear the check up and you go and try cashing it looks to me as if you were discruntled at me for cancelling the order or too greedy.

I did offer to pay any charges but this was incase you had cashed the check at the time I cancelled. You had not. Instead you tried cashing it three weeks later. Clearly by this time if I was selling the bike I would have likely sold it anyway. I cant see you were attempting to take my money hoping I would reinstate my order.

John, you still cashed the check even after I had asked you to tear it up. That is recorded in your own words. There is no argument about that.

This is before you sent the goods. So with my instruction to cancel and tear the check up and you go and try cashing it looks to me as if you were discruntled at me for cancelling the order or too greedy.

I did offer to pay any charges but this was incase you had cashed the check at the time I cancelled. You had not. Instead you tried cashing it three weeks later. Clearly by this time if I was selling the bike I would have likely sold it anyway. I cant see you were attempting to take my money hoping I would reinstate my order.

Nigel,

I'm not denying any facts. The record speaks for itself. It's the intentions you ascribe to me I dispute.

Here is how it happened from where I sat. I hope it helps you understand how events unfolded.

The pattern had been that you had responded promptly to my earlier messages. For example, you responded to my message that your checque had been received on the night of April 16th with the cancellation the very next morning. The request for you to reconsider went to you the next day.

I only deposited the check when you had not responded to my request to reconsider for a much longer time with a yes or no reply. Meanwhile, the bank had told me it would not likely clear for weeks because it was in foreign currency drawn on a foreign bank.

At that point, not hearing anything from you, I assumed you were either undecided or had agreed to go ahead with our deal. If you were going ahead, it would be quite some time before the check cleared, but at least no unnecessary shipment delay would occur. If all else failed, I was going to contact you just before shipping to either send you your money back or the controls, whichever you decided.

Given the tough tactics you chose without communicating with me, my guess is that you have been burned before. I can't help that. You don't know me very well, but I know that I deal in good faith. I can't deny I was disappointed in the cancellation only 12 hours after your checque arrived, but if I really wanted to take your money by force, I would have run off to the bank to deposit your checque as soon as you told me to cancel. The fact I waited for your response (which never came) as long as I did should prove to you that was not my intention.

Nigel, as you know, I haven't pursued you for reimbursement of my costs. I'm writng off that and the time I have spent defending my integrity to tuition in the school of hard knocks. You apparently are no longer a Moto Guzzi owner, and I believe you simply misjudged my character and intentions in the absence of good communications.

Let's move on.

John

John

Somehow I missed this thread a couple of months ago (must have been blind!) but you have addressed, superbly by all accounts, one of the few major issues I have with my V11, that being the footpeg position.

Just wondering whether you're still producing them & if so, is there any chance of sending a set of these out to the Antipodes (Australia)? If so, could you please advise cost, preferred payment & delivery methods & availability.

The prospect of a centre stand is equally exciting, not least for keen DIY owners like myself who may not have the equipment or expertise to manufacture one themselves.

Many thanks.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm happy to report your Forward Foot Position kit was shipped yesterday, August 2nd, on my way to the airport. I'm told you can expect it to arrive on the 7th. I was able to pack it in a box smaller than standard, and saved you $49 in shipping cost.

I also researched customs duties in Australia. This kit falls under the Aluminum/Other catagory, which attracts a 5% duty. (On the Australian tariff schedule, it appears all aluminum imports are either at 0 or 5%). However, the U.S. and Australia have a free trade agreement, so perhaps there is no duty for goods of 100% US origin. I have supplied a commercial invoice with the required certification that these goods are of 100% US origin. You may also be exempt because it is well under 1,000$Aus., but that may only apply to travelers.

If the address you gave is a residence, UPS will attempt to deliver three times, then will hold the shipment at their depot for 5-7 days. After that, they return it to me, so do keep your eyes open. I did not have your telephone number to give them, so do keep your eyes open. Better yet, contact them.

I will be able to supply you the tracking number on Monday morning (EST), August 6th.

That's everything I can think of to ensure the kit arrives to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

John

Hi Tony,

I'm happy to report your Forward Foot Position kit was shipped yesterday, August 2nd, on my way to the airport. I'm told you can expect it to arrive on the 7th. I was able to pack it in a box smaller than standard, and saved you $49 in shipping cost.

I also researched customs duties in Australia. This kit falls under the Aluminum/Other catagory, which attracts a 5% duty. (On the Australian tariff schedule, it appears all aluminum imports are either at 0 or 5%). However, the U.S. and Australia have a free trade agreement, so perhaps there is no duty for goods of 100% US origin. I have supplied a commercial invoice with the required certification that these goods are of 100% US origin. You may also be exempt because it is well under 1,000$Aus., but that may only apply to travelers.

If the address you gave is a residence, UPS will attempt to deliver three times, then will hold the shipment at their depot for 5-7 days. After that, they return it to me, so do keep your eyes open. I did not have your telephone number to give them, so do keep your eyes open. Better yet, contact them.

I will be able to supply you the tracking number on Monday morning (EST), August 6th.

That's everything I can think of to ensure the kit arrives to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

John

John

Many thanks. Please disregard the latest PM I have just sent - I expected you would advise me of shipment by that means rather than the normal forum.

Lower shipping cost is great. I take it there is a $49 difference between what you quoted & the actual shipping cost? If so, what happens to the $49?

My understanding is there shouldn't be any issues with customs duties. All items except "prohibited items" under $AU1000 value can be imported without duty. I would expect that it would come straight through. This has been the case with other items I have purchased from the US over the last couple of years.

Delivery shouldn't be a problem, I know the local UPS delivery person & we have an arrangement if I'm not home when he calls.

I look forward to receiving your advice re tracking number.

Cheers, Tony

John

Many thanks. Please disregard the latest PM I have just sent - I expected you would advise me of shipment by that means rather than the normal forum.

Lower shipping cost is great. I take it there is a $49 difference between what you quoted & the actual shipping cost? If so, what happens to the $49?

My understanding is there shouldn't be any issues with customs duties. All items except "prohibited items" under $AU1000 value can be imported without duty. I would expect that it would come straight through. This has been the case with other items I have purchased from the US over the last couple of years.

Delivery shouldn't be a problem, I know the local UPS delivery person & we have an arrangement if I'm not home when he calls.

I look forward to receiving your advice re tracking number.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,

In discussing shipping cost to Australia, I learned that the size of the box was a big factor in cost, in addition to weight. At the time, I gave you the price given me by UPS, based on the box I have been using. Later on, I used my trusty box cutter to make a smaller box. The cost dropped by $49. It took an hour to hand make the box, starting with a USPS box turned inside out, but it was a fun project. It was a bit of tongue in cheek humor for me to have the USPS unknowingly assist in lowering UPS' income!

I am currently making prototype parts for a bolt on pressure gauge kit for my bike. The gauge will mount on the speedo/tach mounting plate just below the warning lamps. I don't have my cost figured out on that just yet, but if you're interested, the $49 savings could be credited towards that. Otherwise, I'm happy to mail you a check immediately.

Glad to hear you have a good relationship with the UPS driver. I'm flying home late tonight, and will forward the tracking number as soon as I get it first thing tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

John

Hey,

Was that you Ryland3210, who left me the note at Chatterboxes Thursday 08-09-07 regarding this thread?

Three V11s at one diner on a weeknight in NJ! Geez I thought these bikes were rare. :D:D

Cheers,

Steve

Guest SantaFeRider

Given that what should have remained private has been made public, I want to state that my experience in dealing with John has been excellent.

Personally, I don't think the nature of the product and services offered by John are of the kind that one can cancel the order on a whim.

Hey,

Was that you Ryland3210, who left me the note at Chatterboxes Thursday 08-09-07 regarding this thread?

Three V11s at one diner on a weeknight in NJ! Geez I thought these bikes were rare. :D:D

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, it was me. I had my bike there, too. I hung around yours for a while, but had to leave. Sorry I didn't have a chance to meet you, but I do go there for bike night fairly often. I live about 20 miles north, and often ride around the Sussex county area and points north on weekends. As you probably know, there is some really beautiful country in Northwest Jersey and up towards the Catskills.

I'll send you a personal message so you can connect via email if you like,

Cheers,

John

Hi Tony,

In discussing shipping cost to Australia, I learned that the size of the box was a big factor in cost, in addition to weight. At the time, I gave you the price given me by UPS, based on the box I have been using. Later on, I used my trusty box cutter to make a smaller box. The cost dropped by $49. It took an hour to hand make the box, starting with a USPS box turned inside out, but it was a fun project. It was a bit of tongue in cheek humor for me to have the USPS unknowingly assist in lowering UPS' income!

I am currently making prototype parts for a bolt on pressure gauge kit for my bike. The gauge will mount on the speedo/tach mounting plate just below the warning lamps. I don't have my cost figured out on that just yet, but if you're interested, the $49 savings could be credited towards that. Otherwise, I'm happy to mail you a check immediately.

Glad to hear you have a good relationship with the UPS driver. I'm flying home late tonight, and will forward the tracking number as soon as I get it first thing tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

John

John

I've had the new controls on a week now & clocked up a few hundred kilometres in all types of riding conditions. As expected, the bike has been transformed. I can only echo loudly the positive comments made by others regarding the improvement in riding comfort.

Quality of the components & the way they integrate with rest of the bike is first class. I especially liked the SS nuts & bolts - a nice touch. Installation was straightforward but as others have noted, somewhat time consuming, especially for the gearshift linkage. This is no fault of the kit; its the positioning of the linkage & shifter arm behind the starter motor. I found it easiest to remove the shock's external reservoir & starter motor to gain good access to the linkage, but this isn't difficult, just fiddly.

Control action is very smooth & positive & as someone else has noted, the gearshift is now noticeably lighter & crisper - a function perhaps of the much shorter linkage rod? Whatever, its a significant improvement over the stock setup.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this product & have no hesitation in recommending it to any V11 owner. It does exactly what's promised - in my experience, a rare thing these days.

Your check for the shipping cost savings has arrived - thank you. I have found your service in this matter to be excellent in all respects.

Many thanks again - keep the "nice bits" coming for the V11!!

Cheers

Tony

Yes, it was me. I had my bike there, too. I hung around yours for a while, but had to leave. Sorry I didn't have a chance to meet you, but I do go there for bike night fairly often. I live about 20 miles north, and often ride around the Sussex county area and points north on weekends. As you probably know, there is some really beautiful country in Northwest Jersey and up towards the Catskills.

I'll send you a personal message so you can connect via email if you like,

Cheers,

John

How often do you visit Chatterboxe's diner? I live not far from there. Perhaps a group of us could meet there sometime. I have contacted you in the past regarding your forward foot peg kit (I have a V11 Coppa Italia) but have not yet decided if I want to go that route. If I do it might be nice to meet somewhere to pick up the kit in person.

Do a lot of bikes show up there on Thursday? About what time? I agree about northern New Jersey. They have some really great roads. I used to work in Branchville and always enjoyed the commute.

How often do you visit Chatterboxe's diner? I live not far from there. Perhaps a group of us could meet there sometime. I have contacted you in the past regarding your forward foot peg kit (I have a V11 Coppa Italia) but have not yet decided if I want to go that route. If I do it might be nice to meet somewhere to pick up the kit in person.

Do a lot of bikes show up there on Thursday? About what time? I agree about northern New Jersey. They have some really great roads. I used to work in Branchville and always enjoyed the commute.

Delivering the kit in person would be a pleasure. If it helps, I occasionally have reason to go to Princeton, or to Toms River, where my relatives live.

When the weather is decent, about 200 or more bikes show up at the Chatterbox. Every type and brand shows up at times, from choppers to Gold Wings to trikes to Boss Hoss to antique Nortons, Triumphs and BSA's, Beemers, etc. A WWII Chinese URAL with sidecar and even a motorcycle pulling a custom hearse showed up a few weeks ago.

I usually get there around 5:00 PM, to beat the rush for dinner, then wander around outside until dusk. I generally go there whenever the weather looks reasonable that counts for the day after tomorrow, too, but the weather looks iffy at this point. Lately, I've been meeting one of the Highlanders' members in Pine Island and then we head south through some back roads to get there around 5:15. :bier:

Cheers,

John