Matching up an BMW R90S fairing to a Moto Guzzi V1

Guest Jaap

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am going to do the R90S fairing route (nice job! :thumbsup: ).

A similar aftermarket fairing is available in Europe from www.Wuedo.de

the one that looks most similar is part no. 46-63-60-10

"WÜDO streamline Scheibe für S, CS Cockpit"

Price is €108 incl tax. (Mwst). thats about $125 or 80 quid (sterling).

The direct link to the picture does not work: Go to

http://www.wuedo.de/indexeng.htm

Click on Wuedo Shop. Search on VERKLEIDUNG (fairing). click on INFO box for the 8th item listed (its the part no given above).

The higher, grey tinted screen costs €36 extra, if ordered with the cockpit fairing. It looks pretty good.

I will post back on the mods outlined by Jaap and whether they are different with the Wuedo fairing. I dont know if others find the same but the aerodynamics of the V11 Ballabio/Cafe Sport/Scura shield dont really work - the 'double bubble' shape is narrow (little real wind protection) and too tall, creating bad turbulance just at head height. At 110-140 kph it becomes painful to ride after about an hour :( Either I take the fairing off altogether or I find something else.

I am also working on a replacement screen/blade made from the 2mm acrylic (polystyrol here in Germany), bent, cut and drilled to fit. I think about 2" shorter/lower and the turbulance will hit my chest, where it is meant to be, leaving my head in clean airstream. :helmet:

cheers Jonathan.

I find that the airstream hits me right at the faceshield at speed, which is good in the rain and not so good for bugs.

The top brackets mount to the mirror mounts on the handlebars, the bottom to the headlight mounts.  This is the detail of how I mounted it to the handlebar.

Hi Ray, sorry about the crash. Hope the repairs are going ok?

Having failed quite badly to get a 2mm acrylic sheet to bend to the right shape (heat in the oven to about 120C, but you only get one shot unless you have a mould made!), I think the R90S route looks great and seems functional.

I have a question. On the 2004 models (cafe sport. ballabio, coppa italia) the fairing is fixed to an extension of the frame - it does not mount to the handlebars and does not turn with the bars. Does this prevent the R90S mod :( or just mean that alternative mounts must be found for the upper fairing? Two extension brackets exist on the ballabio which mount to the stock bikini fairing bolted at the mid-point of the tinted windscreen blade. I hope that I can use these as the basis for the upper fairing structure. :luigi:

thanks for all the excellent tips on this post (and many others).

Jonathan

Hi

I am going to do the R90S fairing route (nice job! :thumbsup: ).

A similar aftermarket fairing is available in Europe from www.Wuedo.de

the one that looks most similar is part no. 46-63-60-10

"WÜDO streamline Scheibe für S, CS Cockpit"

Price is €108 incl tax. (Mwst). thats about $125 or 80 quid (sterling).

I realised on closer look at the Wuedo site that I got the prices completely wrong :homer: .

The fairing (verkleidung) itself is " cockpit CR45" and costs €283.

The windscreen (scheibe) is an extra €108 (standard, untinted). Tint costs €17 extra, and the touring version is €36 extra.

If I get one I will order from the US direct as I have access to an APO address (local US postage rates).

Why do german firms (making probably inferior products in this case) feel they can charge 3x the cost of the same part in the US? :huh2: The market for old BMW spares must be quite healthy looking around the streets here!

Below is the picture of the Wuedo fairing from their website.

My bike has been back together for a couple of months. Did the fiberglas repair, painted, and remounted the fairing.

I tried to look at the picture of the recent nakeds in the gallery, but can't really tell if the bikini fairing mounts will interfere with the R90/100S fairing. I'm really not sure if you can mount the BMW fairing as a framed-mounted fairing. I prefer handlebar/fork mounted fairings. Do your fairing brackets detach from the frame? Jason is running a handlebar-mounted R90S fairing with higher handlebars, so it is possible.

There are more affordable options, but they are just not as pretty. Has anyone mounted a LeMans I fairing on a V11 Sport? What other simple and sporty frame-mounted fairings are out there? Airtech site has a frame-mounted 750SS fairing, and you might fit that to your mounts, and that would look much like the Magni fairing. There are also a bunch of neat dustbin racing fairings to look at.

Another neat site for cafe parts is Omar's in Minnesota. They sell parts to make Yamaha 650s into Norton racers and dirt-trackers, and you might be able to adapt some of that stuff. It's worth a look, anyhow. They have a R90S-like fairing with both 7 and 8-inch holes in there. Also BSA/ Norton style cafe fairing. http://www.omarsdtr.com/cafe.html

Sorry I can't be of more help - you get to be creative and blaze a trail and earn our undying admiration and envy. Good luck.

I haven't looked closely enough at the Ballabio to tell whether you could easily mount up a small fairing or not. But hey, with enough metal strap, baling wire, JB weld and some duct tape, anything will fit.

Thanks for the link to Omar's. That's a neat idea.

I don't think an original Le Mans fairing will bolt right on. The forks have different spaces, and the cluster layout is a little different. It can be done, because it HAS been done. I know I've seen a picture of one from Germany. Looks nice really.

J

Guest BCRider

Ray, or anyone else riding with this fairing mod, could you fill in a few more details on how it feels when you ride? Any helmet buffeting? If you've ridden a LeMans could you make a comparison?

I'm considering a Ballabio and a similar mod. Frankly I find the Ballabio's flyscreen to be a terrible styling match to the bike. MG should have used THIS fairing as stock. One item to check would be to ensure that the fixed fairing mount is removable. As has been suggested I seriously doubt that you could retain bar travel with the fairing anywhere near the proper mounting point if it was fixed.

Also I have had some anxious moments in the past with bar mounted fairings. Could you report on any bad handling traits with the fairing vs naked?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone mounted a LeMans I fairing on a V11 Sport?

I ran across this one recently...

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have ordered the R90S fairing from Airtech and guess it will arrive in a few weeks/month or so.

It seemed there was an easy alternative to the zerogravity windscreen since MRA in Germany make one locally (www.mra.de). They do a standard and a touring version (see attached image).

R100_S_Cockpit_T1.jpg

A question to those who have done the R90/R100 conversion: has anyone tried a non-standard (higher) touring screen and would they recommend it?

I am 5'7" (170cm) if this is relevant to where the wind will catch me. :bike:

thanks to all for the helpful tips and detailed advice.

Jonathan

Guest motomaniac

I have a question. On the 2004 models (cafe sport. ballabio, coppa italia) the fairing is fixed to an extension of the frame - it does not mount to the handlebars and does not turn with the bars. Does this prevent the R90S mod :( or just mean that alternative mounts must be found for the upper fairing? Two extension brackets exist on the ballabio which mount to the stock bikini fairing bolted at the mid-point of the tinted windscreen blade. I hope that I can use these as the basis for the upper fairing structure.

I've had the same question as rossojoj for a while. I've tried to fit a cheapo fairing to my Ballabio, but without a bar/fork mounting, it seems almost impossible to have anything that will work when the bars are turned.

Has anyone had any luck with a frame mounted fairing setup?

The headlight is just too far out in front of the forks.

I have a Gustaffson 4" over screen for my bike. I mounted it up, ran it for a couple of days and then took it back off. Didn't work well for me at all- It rattled more (but I didn't put the bead around the edge), the wind was all wrong, and I ended up with even more weight on my wrists- which I did not want.

At the time, I had the stock clip-ons on the bike. I'm a bit more upright in position now, so it might be a better fit, but frankly, I like the lower fairing. If anyone wants to buy the taller screen, it's for sale cheap.

BTW- the design is not like the picture you have with the flip up at the end. The one I have is just overall taller- a bigger bubble.

Cheers,

Jason

I also have a taller touring windshield that I got with the fairing originally. It is '70s Teutonic bizarro, and I doubt you'd want to put a taller fairing on anyway - you really need some air to help take weight off your wrists while running the lower clip-ons. It would allow you to wear a tall Viking or WWI spike helmet, however, but I think those complement actual BMW bikes, not Guzzis with the fairings.

Carl had a neat, detailed discussion of aftermarket fairings recently...

• 2 months later...

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ype=post&id=164

unless the php link gets busted you can follow the above link link to a picture of my R90S fairing, Rest in Peace.

fiberglass was from airtech streamlining and the bubble was from zero gravity.

I mounted it merely by holding it in tension against the headlight bezel(chrome part) with two brackets going to the turn signal mounts.

Simple solution with the compromise being that it aimed down with the headlight's angle.

Of course if you only ride in daylight, aim it up!