European Helmets

Crooz

Hey Guzzirider,

I am in the market for a new helmet. I looked at the Roof units a few years back but was unable to get any real feedback from anyone who owned one. I am ineterested again now and was wondering if you could give a review of yours. As it sounds like I could order one from the shop you purchased yours from I would like to take another look at them before I replace my old Nolan flip face. Its been a great helmet but after seven years of service its time for a new one.

Thanks

Do an internet search for reviews.

I read several recently and they were not that very positive on the Boxer helmet. Roof has just came out with an improved version but it too soon to tell if is has similar concerns.

Guest Mattress

Do an internet search for reviews.

I read several recently and they were not that very positive on the Boxer helmet. Roof has just came out with an improved version but it too soon to tell if is has similar concerns.

There is a review on the Webbike World website. I didn't read it. Anyhow, I bought a Roof Diversion at the end of the season last year from DesignerHelmets.com.

I don't have many hours at all yet on the Diversion since our weather is so crappy. But the fit and finish is really superb.

I did have to send back the Medium because it was too small, and I don't think they credited me yet (I'm checking it out with Visa).

Hey Guzzirider,

I am in the market for a new helmet. I looked at the Roof units a few years back but was unable to get any real feedback from anyone who owned one. I am ineterested again now and was wondering if you could give a review of yours. As it sounds like I could order one from the shop you purchased yours from I would like to take another look at them before I replace my old Nolan flip face. Its been a great helmet but after seven years of service its time for a new one.

Thanks

I have a Roof Boxer- well 2 in fact, an original plastic one which is about 7 years old, and a newer fibreglass one.

They are basically open faced lids, with a plastic chin bar which can be lifted up all the way back over the helmet, allowing you to ride at motorway speeds with the bar raised, which I understand most flip ups don't allow. Very light, nice in hot weather but I'd prefer to be wearing my Arai if I crashed.

When I am touring abroad with friends, I always get jealous comments from the guys that are sweating like pigs inside their full face helmets, while I am crusing along with my ugly grinning face in the breeze.

I love Roofs but they are not for everyone- they are like your Guzzi- a little flawed but fun anyway. They are not for Simon Sensible types who like to worry- mind you they should be driving a Volvo not riding a bike.

Guy :helmet:

PDVD_044.jpg

Thanks Guy,

That is what I was looking for. The Roof here in the US is a pretty pricy unit. What you have said about it is right on for most flip face units including my current Nolan. The crash testing on all of the flip face helmets says that you may as well be wearing an open face. The full face types are indeed the best. As it is I have already gone the route of riding with a flip face so thats not a concern for me. What I really like about the Roof is the feature that allows for the chin bar to rotate all the way to the back of the helmet. And the fact that it does not make you look like a gum ball machine due to its size. I love my Nolan flip face but its a butt ugly helmet. I may well go for the Roof Boxer just on style points only as what you have said at least lets me know that it works much the same as the hemlet I have been wearing.

• 9 months later...
The crash testing on all of the flip face helmets says that you may as well be wearing an open face.

What crash testing? DOT doesn't test the chinbar, Snell only tests what they've been submitted & all the flip-front manufacturers only submit under the open-face guidelines.

I think Shoei submitted their Synchrotech under the full-face & passed it the 1st year only, but that's rumour & hearsay.

The only testing of flip-front chinbars that I'm aware of was performed by a magazine, and was quite revelatory. Unfortunately, they did not provide a baseline of a regular full-face helmet of recognizable pedigree for comparison.

Ride on!

:mg: