A jack under the sump

Guest Smudge

Guest Smudge

Hi Team,

have had a look but can't find the answer to this one...basically I'm a cheap bas%$&d and don't have any paddock stands! I need the front wheel removed so that I can change the tyre, question is, can I put a block of wood under the sump and jack the front of the bike up without damaging anything, thank you all.

Smudge

I've modified a trolley jack by bolting a lump of wood to the jack. I've added two wooden 2 side rails to support the sides of the sump, to make it more stable and to take the pressure off the sump centre (which i guess is the weakest part). See attached pic. However, I have to say that this arrangement is not very stable, and I reckon if you are going to use this method you definitely need an assistant to keep the bike upright while you are removing the wheel.

jack.jpg

My hands are still grease from changing my front tire and brakes...

I use a $49 bike lift from Pep boys under the sump..

I used to shore it up with wood wedges around the sump...anymore I just go for it. It teeters

but don't fall down. :)

BUY the factory stand. One lift with one and you will be hooked. If you have ever watched a bike fall over it happens REALLLLLLLLLLLL slow. The farther away you are standing and the slower it falls. Just say "timberrrrr" when it falls.

Guest frankdugo
BUY the factory stand. One lift with one and you will be hooked. If you have ever watched a bike fall over it happens REALLLLLLLLLLLL slow. The farther away you are standing and the slower it falls. Just say "timberrrrr" when it falls.

the factory 's the one.any rear stand to secure the bike and you can jack&block with serenity.

Guest Smudge

Thank you everyone, trolleyjack it is (for the moment), I might try and position her in the middle of the garage and use two ratchet tie-downs on each side as insurance, mind you if she falls the garage wall will probably go with her, then the roof, followed thereafter by the rest of the walls, thank God the house isn't attached to the garage :-)

Thanks for your input all.