"new" 1000S on board

1100sport

Hello everyone,

I am not new to this board - I but had not posted for a long period of time until today.  Having recenlty acquired a 1000S, I thought I should present the bike.  It is an "SE" model, specific for the UK - the only difference with the regular S being the small fairing ala LM1 and the red colour. All the rest is basically the same.

It is a 91 model with the big valve engine, that has been upgraded with Lucas Rita electronic ignition.

Here is a pic:

1000se001.jpg

The bike and me are located in Paris, France.

Best,

Mathieu

I intend to keep the bike fairly stock and only make a few "corrections" to the bike appearance: the seat needs to go IMO as well as the tail light, the mirrors and side indicators. I am also contemplating painting it black with the typical orange decals.

Unfortunately, the  "linkage tops" that were originally fitted to the 40mm dell ortos have been replaced by the flat top in black plastic. It was a popular mod in the 80's and 90's.  I am now trying to locate a pair of original linkage tops and am struggling to find one: if anyone on the board is ready to part with an old pair, I am definitely buying!

Thanks

Mathieu

Congratulations Mathieu!

You're familiar with Tontis & the pros & cons of cranked/flat tops for carbs?

Sorry, can't help you with the bits.

Good to see yet another member of this forum on a Tonti!

KB :sun:

Nice find!

I agree with you in regards to the changes you propose- it would look much more period with correct seat/tail/turn/paint.

Those are lovely bikes.

I am not familiar with the pros or cons of flat top vs. linkage top carbs. Would someone enlighten me?

Seat looks pretty similar to OME. Bike's been resprayed? I think I remember it being for sale here - is it this bike: http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7660 ?

JRT, flat carb tops replaced stock cranked tops & in conjunction with new slide springs to give lighter throttle pull. IME (LM11 36mm)they slowed twistgrip action so much you needed two handfuls to get from closed to full open. I stuck with crank tops. Thought of getting a QA twistgrip or modifying mine to suit flat tops but never got round to it. Stock 36mm is hard on the wrist, & I believe 40mm's are no easier. There's been some debate on this on WildGuzzi recently, if you're interested I'll dig out a link.

S, if you're interested I'll dig out a link.

No need. I was just curious as I have a set of 36's with the bell tops.

Heck, people have complained about throttle pull on Dell Orto's for as long as I've been riding them. I guess I have strong forearms (ewww, no jokes, please). The only time it bothers me is on a very long ride. I can open the 30's on my G5 in one pull, but you're right- it's a long twist.

Yes it is definitely this bike! Thanks for the link - it is always pleasant to find some piece of history on a bike. I bought it from Motocorsa in the UK and imported it to France.

Cranked tops offer a shorter "throw" at the cost of a heavier throttle. I am sure a lot of Guzzisti have an old pair lying around somewhere, but I am really struggling to get hold of them. If anyone is ready to part with them, just let me know. I'll pay good money.

Best,

Mathieu

Seat looks pretty similar to OME. Bike's been resprayed? I think I remember it being for sale here - is it this bike: http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7660 ?

JRT, flat carb tops replaced stock cranked tops & in conjunction with new slide springs to give lighter throttle pull. IME (LM11 36mm)they slowed twistgrip action so much you needed two handfuls to get from closed to full open. I stuck with crank tops. Thought of getting a QA twistgrip or modifying mine to suit flat tops but never got round to it. Stock 36mm is hard on the wrist, & I believe 40mm's are no easier. There's been some debate on this on WildGuzzi recently, if you're interested I'll dig out a link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mathieu,

I don't know if they are the same as those for 40mm Dellortos, but I have a spare pair of cranked tops from a Le Mans 2 which has 36mm carbs.

Happy to compare measurements if it is useful.

Also if you do want to part with the seat from yours I would be interested in it for my orange/black 1000S which currently has a Le Mans 2 seat.

Cheers,

Ray

Forgot to say - I am in Dover UK

I might be interested in trading your seat! Can you send me a pic?

mathieu.prot@gmail.com

Best

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

I don't know if they are the same as those for 40mm Dellortos, but I have a spare pair of cranked tops from a Le Mans 2 which has 36mm carbs.

Also if you do want to part with the seat from yours I would be interested in it for my orange/black 1000S which currently has a Le Mans 2 seat.

Cheers,

Ray

E-mail on it's way to you.

Cheers,

Ray

I might be interested in trading your seat! Can you send me a pic?

mathieu.prot@gmail.com

Best

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

Cheers,

Ray

• 2 years later...