Rear Wheel Bearings

Buzzard

While on a ride several days ago, I noticed a bit too much travel in my rear brake pedal. After checking the fluid level and linkage, I gave the rear wheel a sideways shake, sure enough, it's a touch loose. After dis-assembly, the LH bearing proves to be trashed. After doing some cross referencing, I find that the Suzuki GSXR-1100 uses the same rear bearing, as do several other models. I go to the local Suzuki dealer to find that they carry All Balls brand bearings, and the correct bearing sells for $4.95. For less than $10.00, I have two of them.

A couple of installation notes. I removed the sealing skirt on one side of each bearing, and packed in a bit more grease. The factory seems to be a bit stingy with the grease. The spacer that rides between the two bearings seemed to have about .008" gap, I decided that a little side thrust must be OK, so that's how I left it. The LH bearing failed, it was completely dry, rusting, and the balls disintegrating. The RH bearing still had grease, it was as good as new. This, with 22,000 miles, tells me that the slight side thrust didn't kill the bearings. Also, after installing, I checked the LH bearing after a spirited ride, it was not warm to the touch. I pulled the rear drive unit off the bike while doing this. I found that removing the zerk on the driveshaft makes it easier to both remove and install. No air lock. I greased the rear u-joint, couldn't get the front. I will do that when the snow flies, removing the swingarm. The needle bearing on the RH side of the drive was pretty dry. I'm glad I got to it when I did. Seems that both outer sides or the rear end suffer from pressure washing (not me, probably the previous owner), or the elements. Pulling the rear drive off is a snap, and something I will do every tire change from now on.

buzz, great idea removing the coupling zerk before R&I rear drive (no air lock).

while wheel & rear drive was off couple weeks ago, i was finally able to grease front zerk with a 45deg. zerk screwed into a grease coupling. then pushed the coupling onto the front zerk, then push the grease gun onto the 45deg. zerk, was simple.

i'll post a picture of this coupling when i get out of hospital(going in tomorrow A.M. for a new right knee) i'm glad most of my M/Cs have electric start.

stef