Speedo Cable

moto fugazzi

Long story short-My speedo cable tip broke off inside the gear drive section in the speedo housing. Had to drill a small hole into the tip and then I could extract it.

Why did it break? When I pulled off the rubber cable boot at the speedo, the cable fell off-it was not screwed in place. Obviously the tip of the cable sheared off at some point when the cable started working it's way loose.

Lesson learned here: Check your speedo cables and lube them.

Ken

Long story short-My speedo cable tip broke off inside the gear drive section in the speedo housing. Had to drill a small hole into the tip and then I could extract it.

Why did it break? When I pulled off the rubber cable boot at the speedo, the cable fell off-it was not screwed in place. Obviously the tip of the cable sheared off at some point when the cable started working it's way loose.

Lesson learned here: Check your speedo cables and lube them.

Ken

You should be able to pick up a repair kit from an auto parts store

Well documented issue: SPEEDO CABLE

I've found Roy's suggestion to be effective (and much cheaper than the OEM alternative).

I had no idea they made a cable repair kit. Already purchased a new cable from MG Cycle and had it the next day.

I tried searching for this, but it's hard to sort thru years of posts. I figured a newer post would help any new owners (like me).

Ken