Odometer/Trip Meter Problem

rockers

I hate to post another "speedo" question..but I didn't locate an answer.

Bought my Rosso Corsa last year with a failed Speedo, however replaced the cable last winter and everything has been fine till yesterday. On the way home from our "Fall Color Ride", the Odometer/Trip Meter stopped working correctly. Speedo is working fine so I assume it's not a cable problem. It appears that the odo/tm is rolling but only recording about 25% of the miles. If I go 10 miles it rolls 2.5 miles on both. I know that will help resale, if I ever sell, but I'd like some hints for a cheap fix.

Bob (n da U.P.)

That's usually the sign that the very cheap plastic gears in the speedo are going south. Common options are to buy a new speedo, convert to an electronic unit or move to a Sigma bicycle speedo, which many guys say works really well. Search this site and you will see this is a very common problem with the later model V11.

Last I read, there is a very reputable repair shop in Palo Alto, Ca. but they can't get the parts for the ITT speedo on our bikes. I say "our" because my Nero did the same thing last year, then died, and I have been looking at my options as well. I think I'm going electronic.

I was at the Kentucky rally this weekend, and saw a VDO electronic speedo in a modified bike. He was using magnets off the rear rotor to trigger it.

I was able to get mine to work again after this problem surfaced by opening up the speedo and greasing the plastic gears. It must make them sticky enough to work. I had read about it somewhere else on this site. I don't know how much time I have bought myself :angry: