Buell turn signals on V11s and Formotion gauges

callison

After failing to put my sidestand down adequately, I had to replace a

turn signal. There isn't a Moto Guzzi shop near where I live, but Buell

S2 turn signals have the same form factor so I opted to replace all of

the V11's turn signals with the Buell type. These are a smoky plastic

instead of orange with an inner orange plastic piece to give the correct

color emanation.

24 December 2002. Images have been removed so I can use my web page space for something else. They may be back later.

I also added some Formotion guages. These are the silver case with

luminescent faceplates. Clock accuracy is pretty good. The thermometer

seems to have a dust plume from the movement stem. The luminescence

is pretty well useless unless you have a flashlight handy to charge the

paint up before departing in the dark. Parking under a street light

doesn't do anything at all. Sigh...

Also note the great quality control exhibited when the Moto Guzzi eagle

was positioned on the yoke.icon8.gif

http://www.formotionproducts.com

*laugh* ... my "eagle" is also crooked on my timing-chain cover! I tried to "twist" it, but it just goes right back. I've just gotten used to it over time, but good grief! :wacko:

BTW, regarding the "plume" on the Formotion thermometer, this is a known issue. They are great folks at Formotion, and replaced my first thermometer free of charge with no questions asked stating that they are aware and apparently receieved a bad batch with defective paint(the black plume is paint dust from the vibrating needle). However, upon my second thermometer exhibiting the same problem, I called back and they now have more info:

They are completely redesigning the paint/needle to avoid this paint shedding from vibration. They will still replace your thermometer free of charge now, but recommend that if you can stand to wait a bit, they would prefer to supply the new/improved unit when ready. In the meantime, they suggest using the calibration instructions included with the thermometer to open the case and use a fine-bristled paint brush to dust the paint from the face. It should just dust right off, and in fact, the needle may quit shedding any further.

Anyway, they are great folks at Formotion, and very apologetic about this issue. I get the impression that they are working diligently to rectify the problem and get new units out the door.

I would suggest giving them a call and getting on the list for a new unit, and in the meantime, if the dust-trail bothers you, use their suggestion to clean it up temporarily. Me, I'll just wait :P

al

Al, I emailed them this web page yesterday and got a very nice email in return this morning with instructions on how to clean it. Nice people. They thought the gauges looked, and I quote, "Sweet!"

I agree. I'm going to see if I can build some itty bitty illumination units for them though.

See ya Sunday for the ride, call me Saturday if you want, you have my number.

Guest JohnInNH

Carl,

Did you have to drill holes in the tipple tree to mount the Formotion clock and thermometer? How did you mark the holes (use a template or eyeball) and if so the size... Or is this spelled out in the directions. I think this is an add for my Le Mans.

Thanks.

I bought the "stick on" models. Some kind of godzilla strong double sided industrial strength carpet tape or something. The temperature gauge will read 115 degrees sitting there in the sun and the sticky stuff seems unperturbed. Just cleaned the surface with alcohol before attaching and that was it.

John,

You might be interested in my write-up on the Formotion clocks, and my mounting method specifically for the Le Mans in the old forum under:

Formotion Clocks and Thermometer

I have photos posted in my Yahoo briefcase, and a fairly detailed description of the products.

BTW, the only "lesson learned" is that I used 2 or 3 0(single aught) rubber bib-washers around the M6(I think) 2 1/2" bolt to space the bracket above the dashboard so that it would be somewhat isolated from vibration, and to avoid marring the plastic and so that the gauges would sit "even".... If you don't know what I'm talking about :P ... I think you'll understand once you see the photos and where/how I mounted it.

al

The turn signal lens that Callison used are the same ones that are on the Quota. At any rate your probaly going to have better luck getting them from a H-D dealer.I understand that Moto Guzzi has a ship with several containers of parts that's been lost at sea for 4 months. Seems that MGNA would have notified the Coast Guard by now. :blink:

• 2 months later...
Guest Tenni#099

I enjoyed the same Eagle position on my first V11, but learned over time that actually all V11 have tilted eagles. My Tenni also has it twisted.

It might be an on purpose design feature we don't understand yet.... :P

I added a topic on an alternative clock in the other technical forum.

Gerco

I have seen too many Formotion clocks and thermometers with moisture in them for me to think they are worth the relatively high price they fetch. I bought a cheap white faced waterproof sports watch at a Wal Mart for $7. I cut the band holders off, files them smooth and attached the watch to a knuckle on the left clip-on with a glob of black RTV. The watch has a seven year lithium battery. If it ever dies, I'll just take it off and buy another!

No illumination for it. But after dark I pretty well know about what time it is, so it doesn't matter to me.

Those Eagles are held on with double sided tape. Spray some WD40 around them and let sit a while. Spray again and wait. In a couple hours the adhesive has failed and you can lift them off. Scrape off the tape, clean them and you can glue them back on straight with black RTV. Just make sure you let it dry overnight before riding or you may lose it.

I paid $55 for the pair of intruments - including postage. That isn't extraordinarily expensive compared to a Schubert Concept face shield that costs $53 and only lasts a few months. I haven't had probelms with moisture either. Yet. Winter is here and starting tomorrow, I'll be riding in the rain. I still don't anticipate any real problem though. The clock seals well and the thermometer is vented at the lowest part of the case.

hmmm, I haven't seen any of the Formotion clocks leak, although I'm sure it's possible if there is a defect. It certainly shouldn't happen under normal circumstances.

They are a sealed quartz clock, sealed within a SS case, with a Citizen movement, and are guaranteed to 3 atmospheres. I wash my bike with the clocks and thermometers on them with no problemo :)

Now, just a note though... the thermometer is open to the atmosphere, by design. If you *really* hit it on the back/underside with water... or there is a significant change in temperature and humidity, it will get water inside and possibly fog a bit from the vents in the case. But it is desgned this way with quality stainless-steel and brass parts inside, and will "air out" soon after. I've only seen condensation on the inside of my Formotion thermometer once, and that was on a warm day right after really washing the heck out of my bike :)

It was only mild fogging ...and it evaporated away within about an hour with no ill effects. I was told by Formotion that this is normal, and not a cause for concern.

Certainly YMMV, but I've found the Formotion gauges to be A+ quality, and their customer service to be superior. But yes, they are pricey :unsure:

al

Thanks Rich... that's a real compliment coming from you! :)

I try to make everything look as factory/OEM as possible... I just hate "half-assed" jobs, but then again I'm known for being fairly "anal" :lol:

BTW, if anyone was curious, that knob on the left is for my heated grips.

al

One of the first really good accessories I made was also my first lathe project. I machined a lump of aluminum round stock into a billet gage holder for a VDO quart dash clock. I polished it and mounted it, with the VDO clock, onto the top of the dash of my '97 Cali 1100. That really worked well and looked like a factory accessory. At Winchester's Open House in '98 the owner was driven nuts by a number of folks asking him to get them the accessory clock for the dash of their Cali. He kept trying to explain to them that there was no such thing. And they'd argue that it was right out there on one of his bikes out front! (I parked at the end of his line of demo bikes in the front of the shop! :lol: )

He saw it, knew it was my bike and tracked me down to try to get me to build more. I told him great! $60 for the clock (retail $$) and eight hours of shop rate to machine the alloy plus the cost of the alloy itself and they'd be all his! His jaw just about hit the ground.

Some things are just not economical to build.

Of all the custom work I did to that bike and later the sidecar I added to it, that piece was my favorite.

Any time you can make something look like a factory accessory, you're going to be really proud of it!