'Model Year' month cuttoff for Moto Guzzi factory?

chamberlin

does it really mtter... every Guzzi is a bargin bin special...

I prefer to consider mine bespoke , or at least unique, but cobbled together out of random left over parts might be more accurate.....

Docc, the build date is located on the mfg plaque on the left side of the head tube.

Learn something here every day! :thumbsup:

You gotta state your build date now Docc! 

It says 3-2000, which is interesting because the SN is #1530 into the year 2000 build range. Looks like they were cranking them out in those days!

It says 3-2000, which is interesting because the SN is #1530 into the year 2000 build range. Looks like they were cranking them out in those days!

Hahaha! thanks for posting docc- so if we ASSume the 2000 MY started in August of 1999, that means 1530 frames (at least) were serialized by March 2000. That's about 191 bikes a month...seems legitimate no?

In a very rational sort of way, sure. No doubt, Moto Guzzi has long been known to introduce changes at any time in the production run while mixing various old and new parts perhaps to "use up" old stock.

Interesting - PDoz' complete 2003 V11built in July 2002 as a 2002. It gives some credence to the "August break" theory, although apparently just for the VIN not the configuration of the bike itself!

FWIW, my 1990 Honda GB500 was built June, 1989. There certainly seems to be no industry standard.

BTW I may have found another build date location today. While re-installing the horns after cleaning, I noticed a white ink stamp of "02 03" located on the underside of the lower triple clamp. Is this just a random number that happens to coincide with my bike's February '03 MFG plaque? Can anyone else confirm?

BTW I may have found another build date location today. While re-installing the horns after cleaning, I noticed a white ink stamp of "02 03" located on the underside of the lower triple clamp. Is this just a random number that happens to coincide with my bike's February '03 MFG plaque? Can anyone else confirm?

it means... the asembler had 02 spaghetti pizza's to 03 vino's, so this tells me your bike was asembled only by a half cut Iti, hence it should be of average build.

thanks for this. i'd never seen my build date, didn't know it was there. kind of easy to see now as i've got the fairing & tank  off for some maintenance.

interesting, my '02 red & grey Le Mans was built in july 2001.

cheers, este

this August break theory rings a bell but do remind me?

Skeeve had put forth the idea that starting the new model year after the traditional European August holiday month would be sensible. I agree, but I'm not sure they keep track of what month it is in Mandello. :mg:

Hahahaha! :grin:  good one Docc

I've been talking with Jaap about possibly setting up a MySQL database on the server, and coming up with a true user registry, as opposed to the forum picture thread registries. Maybe we can figure out some more production tidbits if we gather up enough build data. I know most guys here are actually out on their bikes with burnt knees, bugs in their nose, and are having the most fun you can have with your suspenders on.... but part of the fun (passion!) for me is researching and archiving the minutia, and catalogging the whole model line. If any of you are interested in helping create the database, I would really appreciate it. Jaap has alread approved the database and server hosting.

I will start a new thread soon, but I am thinking at a minimum:

• Username
  • Bike Model (drop down list)
  • Bike Color (drop down list)
  • Last 8 digits of VIN (i.e. 3M111111)
  • Production Month
  • Production Year

additional items could be:

• certain features
  • 'sold as' a model year XXXX
  • modifications
  • destroyed Y/N
  • special edition serial number

and BTW, I wasn't suggesting we eliminate the existing bike by bike registry threads, but just rename them to Owner/Picture threads by model type...maybe even group them into one forum header...

Joe

• Like 1