OPTIONS FOR FIXING A FLOPPY FRONT EXHAUST CROSSOVER ON A 2003 LEMANS R

bikelee

The front exhaust crossover on my 2003 LeMans Rossa is loose. I was going to replace the graphite gaskets but I've read they will just blow out again. I was thinking the only way to fix it permanently was with headers from a 2001 V11 (if they will fit ), Crack- Proof headers from Guzzi-Tech (if still available ), Agostini headers ( $874 !!! ). Are there any other options I have available ? Thanks for any help ! Leon

I have been here before and have two options:

The first one is very easy to realize and helps to keep the graphite gasket intact and in the right position. Its very thin copper/brass you usually buy in sheets of a specific thickness. Google translates it to brass lamella. Simply cut it in narrow strips and wind it around both sides of the balance-pipe connectors. This ensures you can actually tighten the damn thing properly. I believe i wound it around 3 to 4 times round the pipe (depends on the thickness). 

20130810_154745.jpg

Second option involves welding. even though the above works, I just removed the whole thing. I know it does benefit performance (a bit) but i really didnt like the design of the couplings . Just cut the balance pipe off and you are left with a small hole, weld it shut:

20130928_180911.jpg

20130928_211314.jpg

and finally, a symbolic goodbye... ;)

20130928_211228.jpg

I've wondered what the purpose for that balance pipe is.  My 2002 LeMans does not have one and I see that is actually a GOOD thing from your "symbolic goodbye" shown above.

I've wondered what the purpose for that balance pipe is.  My 2002 LeMans does not have one and I see that is actually a GOOD thing from your "symbolic goodbye" shown above.

It has two purposes:

1st: it helps reduce the "hole" in the powerband @ ~3500 rpm. [Note I wrote "reduce" not "eliminate."] The reality is that it can't do much here anyway, & a lot of the Guzzi experts [Greg Field, et al] who'd been around before it was introduced hold unequivocally that it does so little in this regard that it isn't worth the headaches involved.

2nd [& I think more important wrt its original adoption by the factory]: it replicates the look of the [welded in] x-over in the exhaust of the original LeMans.

The front x-over seems to be a source of on-going problems, and the addition of an aftermarket rear x-over and remapping seems to eliminate any need for it.

ahh shit, seems my post above is all ballsed up, ill try again.

ok so IIRC the link pipe does help with performance, odd thing is a early engine has the link were the last of the V11's do and inbetween they have ried all sorts a positioning.

bikelee... try this works mint for me.

loosen all headed bolts and link pipe.

gunge the link pipe wit a exhaust sealent

get a rachet tie down thingie and put it around the two headers at the most forward part

tighten the crap out of the ratchet

tighten all bolts

let sealent dry over night and or a quick run up to gain some heat for curation.

remove tie down

sorted till ya need to remove the cove under.

When i first got mine, it rattled loose after every run. All I did was slacken the headers bolts, tighten up one side and then push the pipe at the other side onto the exhaust pipe so it all looks even, tighten everything up and voila. I probably got lucky as it has never moved since.

• 3 months later...

The front crossover is fugly IMO.

I saw a lemans the other day it"s crossover was holding on by the last little bit of weld.

Get rid of it :grin: