Voltage regulator: 2002 Lemans

dp.guzzi

I think you will find it mounted between the horns.

It may be bolted to the horn bracket which is a poor ground, consider running a separate wire from the case to a timing cover screw.

It's very important to have a good ground.

• Like 1

This is what I see between the horns:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's the fuel pump. A few V11 were delivered with the pump there which also may relocate the fuel filter (which is typically under the tank on top of the spine frame).

You might trace the two yellow wires that comes out of the top of the stator cover and they will lead you to the regulator. If your fuel filter is beside the frame on the left above the cylinder, then your regulator may well be under the tank on top of the frame . . .

Aha! Here is a picture taken from the left side looking up and forward. That must be it, right?

If so, then the tank must come off. Now I need advice on removing the tank.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OK, got the tank off. Unfortunately we have people coming over tonight, I smell like gasoline, and I have to work tomorrow. Good thing I have other motorcycles. This may take a while.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I got the voltage regulator (VR) out. The picture on the left is it. It has a double yellow, a black and white and a red and green. The green goes to the battery negative terminal.

I found a melted wire connector (on the the double yellow wire).

The new one is on the right. It has a double yellow and a black and white. It doesn't have a red and green, but instead it has two reds that join together to a single pin (I will post a picture of it below). In other words, there is no ground.

There was a wire on the right side bolt that held the original VR down inb place. Is this a ground? What should I do about not having a negative lead to the battery?

The yellow connectors can be replaced but be prepared to change them out again, butt splices are more secure.

These regulators have to have a good ground connection to the case.

A short No 12 from the case to a timing cover bolt is far better than a No 8 all the way to the battery.

Have you determined your old regulator is U/S, perhaps it's just the yellow connectors.

Sent from my shoe phone!

image.jpeg

This is the melted connector from the double yellow that looks like it comes out of the alternator.

I did not remove the insulation; this is the way it looked. I wonder what caused the insulation to go away. I wonder if the melting means that the alternator output it too high. Opinions?

Another bit of info: about a year ago I got stuck 300 miles from home, and a dealer replaced the stator.

Anyway, it sounds like I should put a ground strap on the voltage regulator base and another one on the battery negative. I can do this, but I'm not sure which bolts to ground it to. It would be great if one of you would post a picture of which bolts you have used. I know it sounds simple, but I am a real amateur.

The insulation melted

because there was too much resistance in the joint, doesn't take much. Put the ground under any of the 6mm timing cover screws, the Aluminum engine case will make a perfect conductor to the large ground cable at the gearbox.

Sent from my shoe phone!

What do you think of this:

30 amp fuse between alternator and voltage regulator. Or as an alternative, a circuit breaker?

There are 2 yellow wires from alternator. If I just fuse one is it good?