Drive Shaft Grease

Amarrache

Is Lucas Red N Tacky #2 appropriate for greasing the drive shaft? Continuing my 12K mile service and greasing the shaft is on the list. If RNT is a no go, what has everyone used? And is there anything to be cautious of when greasing? How do I know when I've added enough? Will the grease start oozing out of the Zerk fittings?

Any grease is much better than no grease, and that Lucas grease seems like good stuff.

The grease can't come back out of the grease nipples, as there is a tiny ball & spring inside the nipple to stop that happening.

Before greasing, you should wipe the nipples clear of road grime to avoid driving grit inside along with the grease.

I pump enough grease into the joints so that you can see clean fresh grease oozing past the seals of all four cups. This flushes out old dried grease, moisture, and wear debris. However my method means a tedious wiping job to clean out all the surplus grease that would otherwise fling off and make a mess.

The spline in the middle of the shaft doesn't need so much grease, as you can't flush the spline with new grease, it just comes out the end of the shaft (and makes more mess).

The front joint is a bit tricky to get a grease gun onto. See http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18602for advice on how to swear.

• Like 1

If that is the only grese you have , it will be good . Allong w/with MartyNZ's advice , you HAVE to clean the fitting before greasing . This will keep dirt from entering the joint .