Removing the rear wheel

Ralph Werner

Today I was going to check the rear hub splines for grease. I removed the nut, pulled the axle almost all the way out but couldn't seem to get the wheel free and out. Since removal wasn't a must, I figured I would check here and find out what dumb little thing I'm not doing right rather than ruin something. :doh:

Guest Brian Robson

What is probably happening is that you did everything correctly...removed caliper, undid the axle bolt, removed the axle, then nothing...it is because the wheel needs several slight taps (your hand is sufficient) just to move the wheel off the splines. tw is right about the spacer sleeve, but once you put the axle back, pop the spacer on the axle before the wheel goes on.

It gets easier after the 50th time :luigi::luigi::luigi:

Dumb me! The shop manual said nothing about removing the caliper even though it looked to me like the wheel wouldn't come off with that in the way. I'm beginning to see why everyone is less than enthusiastic about the Guzzi shop manual.

Thanks to all for your input. :bike:

Guest geezerx

Has the design changed significantly from the 2000 V11S? I am able to remove my rear wheel without unbolting the calipers and without removing the screw from the swingarm.

After the axle is pulled, with a little fiddlin' and jigglin' the caliper holding plate will swing down and slightly rearward sufficiently to slide off of the pivot block that is screwed to the swing arm. Then the unit will slide forward so that the calipers can disengage from the disc. I then support the unit on a block of wood so that it does not hang by the brake line.

I did need to modifly my track stand slightly. The part of the stand that went under the swing arm on the left side needed to be shortened slightly so as to allow the caliper holding plate sufficient room to pivot down.

I also support the drive shaft tunnel so that it is not hanging as dead weight on the back of the gear box. I think that is mentioned in the shop manual. Oh yea, I also shove a block under the tire during this process. Makes holding stuff easier for me. :grin:

Guest Jeff Kelland

I don't remove the caliper on my 02 Lemans either, I didn't seem to have any problem at all. I leave the axle in as far as the final drive so it is supported when I pull the wheel. :luigi: