Gas mileage

Guest Janusz

Guest Janusz

I wander if my bike is not carburating too rich. Before I go any further it would be useful to establish if the gas mileage is not out of whack.

My average on daytrips (I live in high mountains) and riding rather fast is 7.85 l/100km, my longer trip (but mountains again) was 7.2 at speeds 120 - 160 constantly.

What mileage you guys get? Doesn't matter what units, I can calculate :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh, our favorite topic from the old board! ;)

Well, my consistent mileage so far is still right at 35mpg. I recently ran the bike for nearly 20 miles after my low-fuel light came on, and it is fairly consistent at 120-130miles.

One of the other members of the board(Jim) was playing with his Power Commander and I think he was getting up to 45mpg.

We've all threatened to do the "run dry/max range" test with a can strapped to the back, but I don't think anyone has done so yet. I suppose I came close with filling the tank with 4.3 gallons after my experiment above.... but who knows. We/I still need to perform the test so I really have an idea of total range.

One thing I've been told again and again is that the mileage will change quite a bit as the engine and transmission loosen-up/break-in. Also, after my first service or two, the dealer will tune it more aggressively.

So... it looks like I'll have to wait a couple/three thousand miles before I know what the consistent/normal mileage is.

I've said it before, and will again... if I can consistently get ~40mpg and about 180-200miles range, I'd be happy.

...but for now, 35mpg isn't too bad. Now I just have to see how much of that 5.5 gallon tank I can really utilize!

al

Guest Oliver

Hi Janusz,

make sure that everything (synchronisation, idle, etc.) on your engine is adjusted perfectly. After that, ask your dealer to check the CO mixture ... on nearly every new V11 I know, the CO mixture has been adjusted to ~8 % in the factory.

The maintenance book gives a CO mixture of ~3,5 % everything above that will lead to more fuel consumption.

In general ... for my understanding the milage is not exactly compareable. I love to go fast and in high RPM's ... another one love to switch to next higher gear at 3000 RPM ... so - I'll always use more fuel than him.

Everything around 6,5 - 7 ltr/100km is acceptble.

Hope this helps

Greetings frpm Hamburg, Germany

Guest v11eric

Yes I think Oliver's range is correct, mij averidge fuelconsumption is about 6.5 L/100km, my best value is 5.2L/100km driving 5500rpm for long distance (150km) in 3rd gear without much acsalerating or braking. I'll try to let my bike run allmost max torque.

greetings

eric

01 v11 Lemans

Guest JohnInNH

36 MPG to 42 MPG (best so far)

Still under 1000 miles and have not had the break in tune up yet.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this one up again, but it's worrying me. I'm just about to fill up tank number 2 on my new Le Mans, and all indications are that I'm getting about 25-28 MPG (8.4-9.4 l/100km). I'm mostly riding in-city, under about 40-50 MPH. I'd expect the fuel efficiency to be fairly low right at the beginning, and especially in stop-and-go/low-speed riding like I do, but 25 seems excessive. Has anyone else seen really low mileage right at the beginning?

I only have about 240 miles on the clock so far, and tonight will be exactly the second fill-up, but the light came on at 108 miles, which is a bad sign. Just wondering if the engine needs to be looked at for TPS setting, throttle body sync, or whatever. :huh:

Im averaging about 39 mpg.However i left Joplin Mo last winter heading back to Tx the temp was 18~ farenheit i was travling at 70 to 90mph most of the way home.I had 2 tanks where i averaged 26mpg. I have been told by a guzzi tech that this is a common problem with these bikes .When the temp drops so does the mileage

Guest hyper

My light usually comes on between 230 to 250 Kms, travelling at 120 to 140 kms. The plugs look good, fuel mileage works ouy to 50 mpg canadian, our gallon is .5 of a litre bigger than a USA gallon. Hyper

Guest tmartin

My first tank was 25mpg. Now with 14k on the clock, PCIII and modified exhaust I am getting a steady 42mpg. Low fuel light comes on around 160 miles. This is a during freeway communting, 140 miles round trip at speeds between 60 to 80 miles per hour.

My mileage has varied from a low of 33 mpg on a really hard run in the colder weather, to a high of nearly 50 mpg on a really long freeway run on a fairly hot day.

Now that I have a PowerCommander, I am getting around 40 mpg overall. I will post again after I load the latest map.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (one year old this week, nearly 26k miles now, and better than ever)

Guest jimjib

I get a consistant 43 mpg... riding down the interstate at 75 to 80 mph. If I remember correctly, my light came on solid at 150 miles and I believe the motor quit at around 180 miles.

Geez, I'm still lucky to get 36MPG, and ~130miles when the low-fuel light comes on *grumble*

But then again, I am still only at about 1100miles, sooooo

I had the 1000mile service done a few weeks back, and maybe some things are tight, but the idle is now a bit low, and it "coughs" every so often when hot at about 3kRPM, and stumbles from a stop now. So I'm riding up to Moto Italia tomorrow where they've offered to put it on the computer and readjust everything again for free for me on the spot. I think the tune is just a bit off after the valve adj, etc.

But I'll probably get the x-over, exhausts, and maybe a PC later this year... so much of this will probably get addressed then. But for now, I want to avoid any major changes for a while and let the bike sort itself out mostly stock first.... then I can really notice any changes once aftermarket parts are applied. Plus I don't want any more "downtime" than necessarly while in prime riding weather :rolleyes:

Hopefully though, as I get another 1 or 2k miles on the bike, mileage will improve. That seems to be everyone's theory, but I am still quite shocked with some folks' high 30's and 40+ MPG figures from the start... It's so strange that there is such a variation from bike to bike, even stock.

al