What do you all think is the best way?

Guest russ

I am wanting to mount my GPS and need to mount an accessory plug. Where is the best place to connect to and should I use an inline fuse or wire to the fuse box. What amp fuse do you all recommend? Has anyone done this yet?

:blink:

He's probably serious enough, although I can't figure out where you would mount a GPS in the space available on a V11S. I would suggest looking at the how-to section of this forum and refer to my stealth switch section. The same process would work well for adding a power outlet near the instrument panel without doing any permanent changes to anything on the bike.

I added a relay/fuse combo to my V11TT and that routes to an RCA jack inside a cloth sleeve (actually, the holder for a MiniMag flashlight). The jack/sleeve just protrude up between the seat and tank and when I don't need it (summertime), I just lift the seat and flip it under. Right now, it's powering my BMW heated vest and my HJC SyMax snowmobile helmet with the heated faceshield (not an optimal solution - and not legal - but at least faceshield fogging isn't and issue). What remains to be seen is whether the alternator can keep up with the load. I have heated handgrips too, but I tend to not run everything simultaneously because everything is too hot with just off and on switches (the grips have hi/low, but even the low is pretty toasty).

I put BMW accessory plugs on both of my bikes. On the Guzzi, it was nice... perfect mounting spot was off of the left exhaust/footpeg hanger, just below the saddle. Easly accessible, and very discreet - almost impossible to notice unless you are specifically looking for it.

I only use it for an electric vest and battery tender. This location may not be the best for a GPS though.... dunno.

The BMW kit connects directly to the battery, using a fused link. I think it is an 8 amp fuse, but I don't recall offhand.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Thanks for the replies. I am very serious about mounting the GPS. I have Verlicchi Clip-Ons and bar mounts from Cycle Gadgets and there is enough room. It should be pretty helpful on long trips. :rolleyes:

Guest Jeff Kelland

Russ, I think the best way to wire a plug is to connect an inline fuse holder and the ground directly to the battery. You can buy either an atc or a glass fuse type holder at an auto parts store. Install a ring terminal to one end of the fuse holder and the plug wiring to the other. Use a ring terminal on the ground wire as well. Use a fuse of the correct amperage rating for the device you want to power. Having the fuse as close to the battery as possible will protect the circuit in case of a short circuit. Jeff K.

Guest Guest_dlaing

They should not use much power, so you might be able to hook to any of the main lighting wires after the fuse. The Garmin V uses a one half amp fuse, ie. less than six watts, maximum. You should read the manual that came with your GPS to determine the proper fuse needed. I am sure there are still old ones that would require 5amps or more, but all the hand held units should be pretty low power. You may want to decide if you want the power on when the key is off or not. But it sure is easiest just to connect to the battery. When you get it all hooked up, let us know how far off the speedometer is. :P (assuming your gps has that feature.)

An alternative fused location:

If you check out the fuse block, you will find that the gracious folks at MG left you one unused fuse clip at the end of the block :). It is completely unused, so you would have to wire it up.

But this is what I used for my heated grips. I simply spliced into the battery side of the harness for the lights fuse which is the fuse right beside that last unused one. It ended up all being very neat and factory-looking, provided standard blade fusing, and seems very functional.

For higher load accessories, if want to wire directly from the battery, you can simply splice into any of the other circuits to control a relay

as well.

If you want to take the extra time, I'd recommend considering using this fuse spare for protecting any accessories.

al

I've hooked up a GPS to my Le Mans, no problem. I used a RAM pipe mount base (a U bolt, basically, with a funny crossbar that's got the mounting ball on it). I haven't yet added a power socket, but I have one sitting on the bench, and will be installing it in that panel that sits forward of the instrument panel, which is basically semicircular in shape. The power socket will go on the right hand side, and the VDO clock I will some day install will go on the left hand side. Wiring will probably be straight back to the fuse block like Al suggests, and direct to the battery, so that the socket can also be used for battery charging.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of my setup and post it for people to see. And in answer to the speedometer question, my Le Mans speedo shows about 5 MPH fast at freeway speeds (between 60 and 80 MPH). It's actually a percentage error, but if you remember that when it says 70, you're really going 65, you won't be very far off. Note that this is the same error that's built into most cars, so most everyone is going 5MPH slower than they think they are on the freeway.

Geezers??? Hey, I'm old enough to be your brother. Besides, England is too small to need a GPS. Now, on a nice short 800 mile jaunt between the western states of the US, you might want one, or not. I do the guy thing and eschew GPS doohickeys, use minimal maps and get lost occasionally. It relieves the boredom. Really. Put your finger on a map of California and follow it from Barstow to Needles. 144 miles of absolutely nothing. Typical southwest (semi)super slab. Boring. To tears.

You've obviously not ridden the back roads of TX, NM and AZ. In those areas you might think you know where you are, but it may be deja vu all over again.

Speaking of Texas backroads, if y'all ever get a chance, you should make the trek to Big Bend National Park. Awesome desert mountain terrain. Then there's the climb up to Chisos Basin. It's something like a 2500' elevation change in 7 miles. You can feel the temperature change as well as the vegetation, from desert shrubs to pine trees. On the way back to civilization you can stop at Balmoreah Springs. The 60 degree water is breathtaking on a blistering summer's day.