Throttlemeister

......if they work :P

http://www.throttlemeister.com/tm.html

Throttlemeister officially doesn't make a unit for the LeMans/Sport, although they do have a photo of one of their "heavy" units on a Rosso.

According to their engineers, what with all the models changing, and Aprilia in the mix now, they have had a hard time coming up with a unit that fits consistently, and there has been low demand in general from Guzzi owners.

aaaaanyway..... after talking to my dealer and the guys at Throttlemeister, we think that that standard Aprilia Falco/Futura model will fit the LeMans bar, although one will of course lose the weight "rod" integrated with the OEM bar-end.

But to compensate, I ordered the "heavy" model. And although the longer unit may end up looking a little... well.... dorky :lol: ... I think I'll get used to it, and it's only .4 inches longer anyway. But the additional weight may be a real benefit to fight vibes on a long stretch of road, and that's more important to me.

Anyway, we'll see and I'll let everyone know what works or not. This will be Throttlemeister's first try at an '02 LeMans, and they said that they would work with me to make it work... if possible.

I should have it by early next week... so I'll update then.

al

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnInNH

al,

I was going to order the Guzzi 1100 sport one from their page.... Humm

Tell me how it goes. It's the one thing I need so I can adjust my glove, stretch my hand etc. A throttle lock of some sort is a must have!

Throttlemeister is in my Mods folder. ;)

I'll let you know :)

...yeah and BTW I've already investigated the Vista-cruise throttle locks... at least with my heated-grips, there's no way those would work, and I tried two different models. Even with the stock grips, one would have to do some custom work to get the Vista-cruise units installed, and I didn't want to go through that for a $20 part.

al

Will do Jim. In threory it should be as good if not better than stock.

The stock bar ends aren't that heavy, *but* they do have a steel rod covered with rubber that inserts the length of the clip-on. So in effect, you have a solid bar when the bar-end is installed.

However, the most effective "damper" will be the greatest mass as seen from the "pivot point" or source of the vibration, which in this case is where the clip-on mounts to the triple-clamp. This damper can simply be a huge mass with zero distance, or a smaller mass at some x distance and potentially have an equivalent effect.

But if you put the huge mass at the x distance, the damping effect is even greater. sooooo, the Throttlemeister is significantly more massive than the stock bar-ends. And while the OEM units have the insert, it is relatively light as well and is closer to the bar-clamp.

I ordered the "heavy" Throttlemeister which is 2oz heavier, and .4 inch longer than the already heavy normal unit.

So with all that said.... it is likely that the new Throttlemeister, being heavier, and futher away from the clamp than the OEM solution.... should work even better to dampen vibrations. ....maybe :rolleyes:

But yes, we'll see... and I will let you know. My bike isn't bad about vibes anyway BTW... but yep, I'll let you know how the OEM and Throttlemeister end compare.

al

Guest JohnInNH

al,

I am now looking at the Moto Spezial "Verlicchi" clip ons. 54mm Tourer version to fit V11 Sport at MGCycle.

Look here at the bottom of the page: MGCycle V11Sport + LeMans Parts

I wonder which Throttlemeister would work on this setup.

This may be the answer for the people who want to move the bars up or back. You can install em and adjust as much as you can with stock lines + cables, and order longer Brake Lines IF you need to move the bares more.

The Two Brothers setup is over $330 but does not need to have the shocks dropped from the tripple clamps. 2 Bros Risers on a LeMans: Ian's Two Brothers Set up

Two Brothers Link:Two Brothers Racing

Looks like you have an extra "http://" in the MG-Cycle link there John :P

But yep, I've seen the Verlicchi bars before, but not in person. Seems like it is a good option, especially if the Two Bros are so darned pricey. But wow, they do look adjustable and very high-tech! I guess that's why :)

Regarding the fit with the Throttlemeister and the Verlicchi's... gosh, I have no idea though. I guess you have a few obvious options. Ask MG-Cycle if they know if the bars are threaded, and if so, what size/model they correspond to. Call Throttlemeister and see if they've ever worked with them. Or just wait to receive the bars and do some investigation and trial/error yourself.... or some combination of all of the above :D

You'll have to definitely post an installation review for anyone interested in this solution if you go ahead with it though!

It's your duty :lol:

al

Guest JohnInNH

al,

Thanks for the heads up on the link error :o It's fixed now.

The "Verlicchi" bars are not threaded. Maybe I can get the OD and ID measurements of the tubing and see if there is a solution from Throttlemeister. Maybe they have one for non threaded bars, or it would be easy to have them threaded to a common pitch used by them on a current application. It's just a mater of getting the data.

Seems I will not be able to work on this till after vacation due to parts availablity.

It's so hot today riding the bike is almost unpleasant. BUT I have a secret route which is laden with cool shaded air. :ph34r:

Guest Jaap

Hi John,

this is O.T. but if you want, you can ride here in cool (12°C) and rainy Holland. I've haven't ridden in 4 days because the weather s**ks!!!

I'm leaving for Southern Germany in 8 days. (to the place where the Russian plane crashed this week) There is a Guzzi Meeting. I hope the weather will be better by then. B)

So don't complain it's too hot!!! I'm jealous....

:angry:

....yeah yeah, according to my nifty Formotion thermometer, it was well over 90F in the sun the other day on my ride :o

Wearing black helmet, jacket, gloves, boots.... I was a tad hot :lol:

But there's one side benefit. As soon as I stop, unload all that gear and sit down... almost any other place feels *air-conditioned*!!

al

Guest Jaap

The weather is getting better!!! :D This afternoon I put on the answering machine and went for a spin. I "terrorised" the neighbourhood a bit.

I also went to the nearest bike shop (Jap-BMW only) and bought me a rain suit (DIFI black/red, nice fit) You never now in Holland... :(

It's not the smallest package when folded, but I wasn't planning to take it with me all the time.

Back to the Throttlemeister: I'm also curious... this could be a mod for me too. Let us know your findings.

OK, well I installed the Throttlemeister "heavy" bar-ends today, and all seems well :)

The units fit without any trouble, although they did seem tight at first fit.

Although I was expecting "screw-in" ends that would take advantage of the threading inside the bar, the Throttlemeister kits for Aprilia's use a friction/O-ring and support bar/insert solution that works very well. After working it into the bar, and it's a very tight and well-machined fit, it doesn't budge. Very nice workmanship.

Also, even though I had to work around my heated-grips, the installation of the friction ring was simple enough, and with standard or aftermarket grips, this also should be no problem.

The real test will be during the first ride, and that will be tomorrow. But as far as I can tell, this was a 30 minute job even if you are really taking your time... and delivers great results.

Oh, and BTW, I'm glad I opted for the "heavy" units. Yes, they are larger, but they look right at home on the bike, and I hope that the extra couple ounces of weight will benefit damping the vibrations. The brushed SS and red highlight stripe look like these should have come from the factory.

...and another thing. The insert for the Throttlemeister is about 1/2 as long as the stock "rod" attached to the OEM bar-ends, but the Throttlemeisters are quite a bit heavier... quite a bit. So, at the worst, they surely must damp the vibes as well, and ought to do better. I'll report later, but I have good expectations.

So far, a "thumbs-up"! :)

I'll call Throttlemeister and my dealer tomorrow to let them know that the Aprilia kit for Futuras and Falcos works fine on the V11 LeMans bars... at least as far as installation. Testing on the "cruise control" portion of the equation in the garage so far has been positive, but we'll see how well it works later in practice.

al

We all DO have a poor man's throttle lock on our bikes - the factory "choke". Since it is nothing more then a throttle stop (fuel injection, right?) it may be successfully used for this other purpose.

Guest Scura Owner

Janusz-

The choke (fast idle lever) is suppose to be set to produce a maximum of 3000 rpm when the bike is hot. Besides the factory spring is usually too strong for the indent in the choke lever to stay at maximum by itself.