Side Panniers for V11 part 2

Guest Darth Maul

Guest Darth Maul

i have finally manage to get the side bracket done up. Unfortunately because i was trying to avoid doin any welding to the subframe of the V11, I end up doin a more complicated side panniers bracket. Currently most of the weight of the bracket is resting on the footpeg mounting. As you can see, i have to redesign the pillion foot peg to hold the BMW bracket. I have not send the bracket for powder coating yet. Still testing the durablity.... (so far so good). I bet it will look awesome in matt black!!!

I find it very difficult to document the makin of the bracket because we were sort of experimenting but for those who want to give it a try, i m sure there are various way to design the bracket. As for me i m lucky to have some help from a friend who is willing to experiment n also an expert in metal works. So, here is some photos. Will remove the bracket for powder coating in a couple more weeks. Will take another picture of it to get a better angle.

the pillion footrest is now more forward without disruptin the rider's foot. I m glad my wife have small feet. I have also lowered the exhaust to accomodate the panniers otherwise it is too high. Overall it gives the pillion a better angle too.

post-8-1045500536_thumb.jpg

Guest Darth Maul

heres the view from the rear. I might consider getting another set of the rear body work and trim the side that stick out, so that the bags can be closer to the body panels.

post-8-1045500852_thumb.jpg

Guest Darth Maul

ok will shoot it these few days. its been raining a lot lately.... so i have been ridin the Honda. :grin:

BTW my speedo is not workin now. I have no idea is it the relays or the 90 degree adapter from Magni dats is causing it. do you know which relays is the one that i shd be replacing..???

Great looking setup!

The speedometer only needs electricity for illumination, unlike the tachometer that is electronically driven the speedometer is cable driven.

In addition to checking the Magni cable adapter, check the cable adapter on top of the transmission(right side) It is known to come loose and or break apart.

You might also note, after the weather clears, if the odometer is working.

Bravo! Very well done!

Thank you for posting the photos!

Hey! Now I'm not the only owner with a proper set of hard bags! Maybe Guzzi will see this and take a hint that hard bags need to be added to the bike as an accessory!

Guest Darth Maul

hi rich,

Thanks, i notice you have side panniers too. Can I trouble you to take a picture of your bracket?

I am interested to see how the bracket is mounted to the bike? Is that a GIVI bracket?

:bier:

Darth

Here is a close up of the attachment of my backrest to the rack. There is a 13mm wide steel block brazed under each "leg" of the backrest. There is a plate with holes in it attached to the rack itself recessed undeneath the top surface of the rack so it doesn't interfere with cargo. You can drop the backrest asssembly into place and put the four bolts in place to hold it there. The 13mm wide steel blocks on the legs of the backrest have threaded holes, so no nuts are needed. Makes it much quicker to put on or take off.

The side tubular luggage mounts are from Givi. Made originally for a Honda VFR. I chopped them up to make them as I needed them! They hold a pair of E360 bags. Not as tight to the bike as your design. But I didn't want to re-locate the passenger pegs or rear turn signals. The rest of the rack I made myself and attached the Givvi brackets to it at four places per side. Very strong and provides much lateral stiffness as well. The rack system attaches to the upper and lower mounts for the huffler hanger. That's it. Just four places! So the tubing structure had to be well cantilevered to take the stress with minimal deflection. It came out very well that way!

I am a bit ashamed at the quality of the metal work on the backrest. I did it in a hurry last year so my son could ride with me to the WV Guzzi Rally. It was literally built in an hour and a half and looks it when you see it close up. It is painted, not powdercoated. And the bends at the top are quite uneven. I have never found time to make a better one! I really like this design and my passengers love it too. But I need to make a better one to match the rest of the rack I made.

The pad itself is t he one I make for the Guzzi EV. I had some in stock, so I grabbed one that day and moved the galvanized T Nuts to where I needed them and then upholstered it to match the seat. The pad is great, but that tubing structure needs replaced!

V11Srack_001.jpg

Guest Darth Maul

hi Rich,

thanks for taking the time to shoot those pictures. Not bad for a 1 hr job. imagine what you can do if you have a week...!!!

Is the weight of the whole Bracket + Panniers rest only on the Pillion Footpeg Mounting (is that what you guys call Huffler Hanger...???) Plus a little support from the Exhaust mount?

Mine is done on those support only, and i m just wondering how much weight can that 4 holes from the subframe takes...? Did you have any other attachment to the subframe at the undertray area?

>>>Is the weight of the whole Bracket + Panniers rest only on the Pillion Footpeg Mounting (is that what you guys call Huffler Hanger...???) Plus a little support from the Exhaust mount?

That is correct. The upper hanger mount was welded well to the sub frame. With the extra bracing supplied by the exhaust system itself, it supports the rack very well! Two 20 pound bags plus a bag on the rack with the tent and tarps don't faze it a bit. I have about 5k miles on the system testing it now.

I would feel better having a brace for it in the rear to attach to the subframe. But that would be very complicated to build and may let water splash up into the area under the seat where the electrical components are. So I have let it as-is for now.

Ideally, I will sell this system and build another that incorporates mounts welded to the subframe itself that will come out from under the body work. That involves welding on the sub frame and making cuts into the bodywork as well. A much more major job. But I believe the results could be worth all the work to me.

I have over 40 hours in building this one. I worked most every night on it for weeks to get it built! It cost me $700 in materials and services to put it together! So I can never produce them for sale to the public. It is something I can only build for my own use as time allows.

Guest Darth Maul

Couldnt agree more... that welding the subframe just takes up too much work n time.

Besides, you might fry the ECU too...!!! LOL...!!!

Nice to know that you have done 5k on that few bolts and its still hanging tough!

I guess, if its good for Rich... its good for me as well...!!! Cheers..!!! :bier:

The BMW bracket is expensive as well. Its very difficult to bend one to fit the Panniers perfectly and it doesn't make sense to keep buying a set and saw them off everytime... otherwise i dun mind makin a few n sell it online.

I am begining to wonder how many people would really want a side panniers for their V11 besides us...???

:grin: