Tipover Valve

Guest geezerx

Guest geezerx

I have a 2000 V11S that I purchased last summer. Picked it up used with around 8K miles on the clock. The tank suffered from the dreaded suck, and as a quick fix I had removed the small rubber gromet located under the filler cap. Thinking this might not be a particularly good solution, I started rooting around under the tank tonight and found what is most likely the tipover valve. (see picture) While trying to orient and position the valve in the vertical, the upper end of the line came out from under the tank. This was like with almost no effort. It's a little spooky how easily that vent line separated from the tank. Looks like I'm pulling the tank, now, to re-attach the line.

So I have a couple of questions :blink: :

- Is there any way to test the valve for proper operation?

- Is the valve properly oriented (top and bottom) as it appears in the picture? This is the way is was installed on the bike although slightly out of plumb.

- Should there be some sort of clamp at the upper end of the hose where it attaches to the tank?

- Is there a prefered location for the outlet of the hose? This one came out against the rear of the exhaust crossover.

Odds are I'll end up fitting a new line without the valve, in which case the last two questions would still have relevance. But I'm curiouse about the first two.

Appreciative of any input,

Bruce

tipover.jpg

It's amazing how easy it is to just unbolt the rear of the tank, lift it up some, and reach up there to put the hose back on too. Other than that, just remove the silly valves and use some air hose doohickeys (bibs?) to join the hose ends together, or even the plastic ones that you find on the vacuum lines. You don't even need hose clamps. While you're at it, remove the canisters and plumbing from under the seat and stow them away somewhere for an Orwellian future where bikes get smog checked.

Guest geezerx

Carl, thanks for the input. I couldn't figure out where I was trying to get to under the tank by lifting the rear end so I ended up taking the tank off. It's time to root around under there, anyway. I'm technicaly inept but curious as heck, a dangerous combination. :homer: Adding a clamp to the vent line where it connects to the tank seems like a good idea. That would be a heck of a thing to come unhooked and unnoticed. yikes!

There are no canisters and plumbing under the seat. Looks like most of the polution stuff was removed by a previous owner.

So, like, where does the vent hose go now? You'll definately be better off without the valve and running the hose to atmosphere. (or, as we do in Tennessee,straight up Al Gore's p'toot)

Also , I'd check to be certain how the intake taps have been handled. Some just run a hose between them. I think it's cleaner to remove the tap and replace with a short Allen head fastener on each intake.

Guest geezerx

Docc, the vent hose (with valve in line) vented below the back of the exhaust crossover. I'm replacing that vent line in the same location and I'm adding a clamp at the tank end.

Intake taps???? I'll have to try and figure that one out next. :grin: thinking this probably isn't set up too bad, though. The second owner had the bike in and out of Ferracci's shop a time or two including dyno runs. So someone was looking after it.

The taps are located where the intake meets the head. Lots of riders just connect the two with a hose. Discussion on the Wildgoose board claims improved idle and part throttle by plugging the taps. This is from people who've tried it both ways.

I ended up using the Allen head bolts the hard (stupid) way. First, I tried putting a rubber vacuum plug over the taps. First little hiccup and the things blew out! Major 'pop' sound followed by vacuum leak.

Guest geezerx

Docc, thanks for sticking with this thread. The emission stuff is already removed from my bike and I have no ready access to a stock bike for comparison so i can't trace the plumbing. I do have a shop manual but the fuel vapour system drawing does not show the actual point of connection at the tap.

I've been rooting around between the air box and the heads and am pretty sure that what ever was done was not done by connecting two points together via a connecting hose.

I found plugs (where the intake meets the head) as shown by the below pic. Would these be to what you refer or do I continue the search? :D

Carl, do you have the stock air box? I can't lift my tank high enough at the rear to reach over the stock box. The lift is limited by the fuel shutoff contacting the front of the air box. I can lift the rear of the tank, slide the tank back untill the front clears its' seat, lift the front and then move the tank forward again, and then lift the rear. Didn't discover this until after disconnecting all the "stuff". :blink:

intake.jpg

That's a nice plug you've got there! Looks like someone 'did it right.' It's goofy they left the valve in ! No doubt you've got your tank suck solved.

It is hard to get under the tank but you've got the method now.

Ride well, docc