I made a big mistake...

beauchemin

Holy cow - what a machine! This thing has power, handling, and SUSPENSION to spare. It handles like nothing I've ever ridden, and the power is very linear. Who needs a tach, just wind it up and it doesn't complain. POWER everywhere. The perfect bike for twisty, bumpy, mountain roads - did I mention that the suspension is fantastic?

Damn, now I have to figure out how to get this one past the minister of finance...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve_W

Motorcycle Consumer News in the U.S. tested it and said the same thing. I haven't ridden one, just sat on it at a bike show, but it certainly looks the business. Given KTM's experience with Supermoto racers I'd not be surprised that it works on gnarly little roads. I can think of a few within striking distance of my house...

been eyeing one very seriously since it came out........have a dealer in the area, he claims he can't get them, they're so in demand.

If the the 950SM is so good, I'm wondering just how GREAT the 990 SuperDuke must be......... Should be out by the end of the year here in the US.

I'd love a test ride on both...........it seems to fit Guzzi guys very well, these KTM's.

That's why I shall never make a test ride on a 999 ;)

89444[/snapback]

Well I'm in trouble. I plan to test ride a 999, a street bob, Ulysses, and if I can find one an RSV. I'd love a KTM but they are super spendy. at least here :huh2:

I'd love a test ride on both...........it seems to fit Guzzi guys very well, these KTM's.

That's the other great attribute - this bike's seating position is so damn comfortable compared to the V11 (no folded legs) even with Ballabio bars.

I think I'm going back for another test ride on Saturday.

Guest Bruce

Beau,

Tis better to ask for forgiveness than permission, beside your wife won't know what it is anyway.

Your wife: So how was your day today?

You: Oh fine, went to the dump, stopped at the hardware store, picked up that trellis you wanted at the nursery, and bought a KTM on the way home.

Your wife: Oh that's nice.

Really.

I had a similar experience on the 950 Adventure, ended up with the 625 as it better suits local conditions. In addition to the performance take a close look at how they are put together, you'll find every little detail has been carefully thought out. No doubt these bikes were designed by fanatics. Worth every penny.

Check out the price of parts before you get too carried away. They are not know as Kost Too Much for nothing. I looked at a couple of KTM single's when I was buying my motard but the local !@#$wit dealers and some horror stories of pistions lifting thier tops off and half size bearings which are only avalible from KTM for ludricous amounts of cash put me off. To the piont I was much happier to take a punt on an unknown quanity in a VOR which has turned out pretty good so far.

That's the other great attribute - this bike's seating position is so damn comfortable compared to the V11 (no folded legs) even with Ballabio bars.

I think I'm going back for another test ride on Saturday.

89487[/snapback]

I urge caution Chris. Yes, the engine is a sweetheart, and yes, the bike handles on the street much like any 120 hp 375 ib bike would. Richard D. from Victoria threw me the keys to his bike last year at Salt Spring Island. A real sweatheart.

2 weeks ago I was with a group of buddies on big dual purpose bikes trying to get to Boston Bar from Harrison Hot Springs on the main forest service road. 5 ft of snow stopped us. Anyways, a guy on a KTM 950 was talking about the huge ordeal to simply change the oil. He also noted the incredibly poor fuel economy. Lastly he mentioned the devastating cost of parts, especially cosmetics. He said the price would even make BMW owners flinch.

Enthusiastically go for another test ride, but remember no 1 bike is perfect!

Ciao, Steve G.

2 weeks ago I was with a group of buddies on big dual purpose bikes trying to get to Boston Bar from Harrison Hot Springs on the main forest service road. 5 ft of snow stopped us.

89519[/snapback]

A friend of mine went through yesterday on a brand new GS 1200. He said there was one to two feet of snow in a few places but spotty and nothing to hold you back. He had a great trip and loves his 33 litre tank!!

Well I'm in trouble. I plan to test ride a 999, a street bob, Ulysses, and if I can find one an RSV. I'd love a KTM but they are super spendy. at least here  :huh2:

89485[/snapback]

This is my problem exactly. Add to the list a V-max, Honda Interceptor (pre-98), 98-01 ZX-12, Heritage Softail, and a BMW GS1150. Just to start; I'll need a bigger garage for the rest :)

This is my problem exactly. Add to the list a V-max, Honda Interceptor (pre-98), 98-01 ZX-12, Heritage Softail, and a BMW GS1150. Just to start; I'll need a bigger garage for the rest :)

89522[/snapback]

I also have a serious issue with wanting/needing bikes that I feel qualify ownership.

Last Thursday I was given the keys to a fully broken in ZX14 Ninja, and told to run it like it needs to be run. Never, never, have I felt such enormous forward urge out of a 2 wheeler. The G forces stretched the skin on my face, and I was involuntarily grunting to hold on to the handlebars, and I have tree trunks for arms. I've never had a bike power loft the front end at 240kmh, in 4th gear, in complete control. The engine is all what Kawasaki is known for, power absolute. But the refinement of the entire motorcycle was very much not Kawasaki, known for their raw unbridled, and rough around the edges machines. This thing is very slick, very flickable in slow speed, super stable in sweepers, and the brakes, the BRAKES, the feel, feedback, and power of the brakes, just incredible!! So that's what radial mounting does.

I have no room left in my garage.

Ciao, Steve G.