I made a big mistake...

beauchemin

Great bike, lotsa fun, but after speaking with a few owners and hearing the tales or woe and intrigue from members of the advrider.com fraternity, I've crossed the KTM off my short list.......

Phil

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad
http://www.950supermoto.com/

And just to be sure it matches your personality, take this test

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=1...870837436152068

but use a fake but real email address or they may spam you to death...

FWIW I tested positive for Guzzi  :mg:

89515[/snapback]

I don't understand: "You scored 4 moxie, 10 zeal, and -3 pomp! "

What is "moxie"!!!!??? :wacko:

I hate Jap I4s and it recommended a Yam FJ1300

STUPID TEST ANYWAY

STUPID TEST ANYWAY

89533[/snapback]

It must be an American thing :huh2: but it comes in a can

230px-Moxiecan.jpg

Theres even a magazine

Moxie inspires women to live boldly, pursue adventures, take risks, and provide others with vibrant role models in the process.

Go on Nog burn your bra inspire us :unsure:

Great bike, lotsa fun, but after speaking with a few owners and hearing the tales or woe and intrigue from members of the advrider.com fraternity, I've crossed the KTM off my short list.......

Phil

89531[/snapback]

Yeah, the water pump seal/shaft issue is what has kept me off the 950 Adventure. There are just too many of them mixing their oil and water. Great bike to ride, though.

The dealers around here aren't too good either. I have 3 KTM dealers within 1 hour of my house, and between the three of them, I couldn't get what I needed to do an oil change on my 640. After that I just ordered all my stuff online. Good KTM dealers are few and far between. I guess that's true for most makes.

Last weekend I was crossing the Aldergrove/Lynden border crossing to pick up a parcel [taking advantage of our new strong dollar] , when I spotted a middle aged couple [the fellow I recognized as a former 1150GS Adventure owner] parked just on the Canadian side, brand new 950 Adventure disassemmbled in the engine area. I pulled in to help. Seems the new bike was having an electrical issue, was blowing main ignition fuses, their holiday tour only 1/2 hour long. He was very pissed off. I returned back across in 1 hour, and they were still there, but had moved everthing to the shade of a large tree, waiting for some kind of help. I felt sorry for them, as KTM's here are quite expensive, I know he paid close to $20,000 out the door, for his new, dead, bike.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Bruce

Well, knock on wood, my 625 has logged 3000 miles, 90% off road, and so far one bolt fell out of the rear fender. These are fairly hard miles ( I did enduros for years ) with lots of mud, rocks, water crossing, logs and yes even some snow. I 've dumped it a least a dozen time because I'm too short to take a dab and the skid plate is covered in dents. No problem, the bike's got more ass than I've got teeth.

That said off road riding is hard on equipment and requires lots of routine maintenance which is partially why I didn't consider the 950 or the 1200GS. I know in the right hands, not mine, these bikes can be ridden hard off road but there is no doubt you'll pay for it in time and $$.

To me the V11 and a KTM make good companion bikes as they both stir the soul in different ways.

I also have a serious issue with wanting/needing bikes that I feel qualify ownership.

Last Thursday I was given the keys to a fully broken in ZX14 Ninja, and told to run it like it needs to be run. Never, never, have I felt such enormous forward urge out of a 2 wheeler. The G forces stretched the skin on my face, and I was involuntarily grunting to hold on to the handlebars, and I have tree trunks for arms. I've never had a bike power loft the front end at 240kmh, in 4th gear, in complete control. The engine is all what Kawasaki is known for, power absolute. But the refinement of the entire motorcycle was very much not Kawasaki, known for their raw unbridled, and rough around the edges machines. This thing is very slick, very flickable in slow speed, super stable in sweepers, and the brakes, the BRAKES, the feel, feedback, and power of the brakes, just incredible!! So that's what radial mounting does.

I have no room left in my garage.

Ciao, Steve G.

89526[/snapback]

STOP!!! I can't, repeat can not, stand wanting another bike. Especially one that could possibly fill the same spot as my Goose.

This thing is just bad. :P::P::P:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/...s/lhf_misty.jpg

]

It must be an American thing  :huh2:  but it comes in a can

230px-Moxiecan.jpg

Theres even a magazine

Go on Nog burn your bra inspire us  :unsure:

89535[/snapback]

Did you ever see "A Bronx Tale"?

"Hey kid, show him what Moxie is"

bronx.jpg

STUPID TEST ANYWAY

89533[/snapback]

That link was probably what led me to the test, here are my results:

Moto Guzzi V11

You scored 5 moxie, 8 zeal, and -4 pomp!

You've ridden 'em all. You love riding, and you're at the peak of your game. You develop irrational love for unusual motorcycles, and the latest acquisition is a sweet Moto Guzzi.

You are the most likely among the personality types to own a garage full of esoteric old bikes awaiting restoration.

moxie

From Wiktionary

mŏk'sē, /ʼmɒksi/, /mQksi/

Noun

moxie (uncountable)

1. backbone, determination and fortitude

2. initiative or skill

Nog, I think it is time you admit you are an absolutist and you NEED an FJ1300

Harley 883 sportster :vomit:

I do like the street bob. and it said something about looking into a Buell, I wonder if the thing is rigged. But did also mention ducati and apirlia. I like aprilia. Too bad the questions didn't really fit me or my style so I didn't score well. :huh2:

like when someone passes me in a big ole hurry and I'm on the guz I twist it and rip it past'em like YA what now? then I back off and let'em go knowing I could smoke'em anytime I just made my point. :grin:

Harley 883 sportster  :vomit:

I do like the street bob. and it said something about looking into a Buell, I wonder if the thing is rigged. But did also mention ducati and apirlia. I like aprilia. Too bad the questions didn't really fit me or my style so I didn't score well.  :huh2:

like when someone passes me in a big ole hurry and I'm on the guz I twist it and rip it past'em like YA what now? then I back off and let'em go knowing I could smoke'em anytime I just made my point.  :grin:

89594[/snapback]

We heard you jonesing for that Harley a long time ago.

You probably just need a street bob, a buell, AND your Guzzi!

Harley 883 sportster  :vomit:

I do like the street bob. and it said something about looking into a Buell, I wonder if the thing is rigged. But did also mention ducati and apirlia. I like aprilia. Too bad the questions didn't really fit me or my style so I didn't score well.  :huh2:

like when someone passes me in a big ole hurry and I'm on the guz I twist it and rip it past'em like YA what now? then I back off and let'em go knowing I could smoke'em anytime I just made my point.  :grin:

89594[/snapback]

I got pegged for a Hog too..........Bleech. :bbblll:

Never say never, but a Harley just ain't in the cards. Dumb test.

Local rider here, very experienced off roader traded a Dakar BM 650 on a KTM 640 Adventurer and first gear disintergrate one month out of warranty and had a huge s*^# fight with local dealer to get them to honour the breakage under warranty. Eventually contacted the factory and they reluctantly agreed to have it fixed. Kost Too Much is pretty much spot on. :2c: