What has gone wrong with your bike?

dlaing

69 members have voted

1. 1. What has gone wrong with your bike?

• brake noise, warp, etc
    • chipping paint
    • gear box failure
    • oil leaks
    • pinging popping sputtering(significantly)
    • starting problem
    • tachometer failure
    • tank suck
    • tire cupping
    • Other

I had most of the listed problems.

I have a 2000 V11S 14,500 miles

The oil cooler brackets broke and were replaced at my cost with the improved steel ones.

The Tachometer went and was replaced under warranty. The dealer also installed an extra ground line from the tach to the frame.

Tank suck was a problem, so I cut a slit in the rubber nibble that mates when the gas cap is closed. I think removing or repositioning the tipover valve would have been the better solution.

I have had oil weeping in many places, nothing major, so nothing done other than cleaning off the oil, yet.

Front brake warp symptom was cured by lubing the disk at the floaters with silicone spray. (apparently the disks were not warped)

Pinging at full range of rpms and popping at low rpms cured by use of power commander, but the fuel consumption is up, 30-36MPG(US gallons) so I need a better map than what shipped with the power commander.

Front tire cupping cured by getting a front tire that had the grooves running in a direction that did not promote cupping.

Cracked starter cover, no fix yet, but I should drill a stop crack, asap.

Bolts have loosened and fallen out. I should locktite everything! I have lost the rear muffler torx screw, the security bolts that hold on the ignition lock, the bolts holding on the side covers, and a couple others.

Tail light bulb has burned out. I now carry one as a spare but would like to go to an LED lamp.

Original relays were replaced with Bosch 0 332 207 307 with no electrical problems in over a year.

Handle bar vibration was reduced with "Gel Pro Grips" and bar end mirrors. Although the mirrors vibrate more I can see behind me and the handle bar vibration is much less. I have thought about buying V11Lemans bars to replace mine.

Wind blast was kind of reduced with a bmw r90s fairing. The blast of air is reduced but there is more turbulence. It is nice to tuck behind the fairing over a tank bag on long interstate rides or to tuck behind at 100+MPH. plus it looks cool, but not as cool as the magni fairing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yah, and the rear brake noise was cured by lubing the rear brake cylinder. depressing it firmly at stop lights and engaging it while rolling backwards also seemed to help a little.

Oops... I voted for brake pulsing, but my worst problem at the moment is

probably pinging.

I also had a clutch disintegrate early on (about 7K miles). Replaced under

warranty. I know of one other 2000 V11S in the area that had the same problem.

The angle drive connecting my speedometer cable to the gearbox broke last week

(at precisely 16,661 miles).

Yesterday, the bike developed a severe stumbling problem... as if it is only

running on one cylinder at times. I'm going to be looking into that more tonight

and tomorrow. Hopefully, it is just a bad tank of fuel.

Oh... and I crashed a couple weeks ago, destroying the wonderful Magni fairing that I put on about a month earlier! I guess that one was more my fault, though!

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Jason,

Yep, I saw the photos of your wreck, and was very sorry to see that. I'm sure it was very disappointing. But you never did elaborate on how the accident happened?? At least it appeared that you were unhurt, and considering the type of accident it appeared to be, the bike was relatively unscathed... at least it seemed so from the photos.

al

Al,

It was the old "going to fast on tricky and unfamiliar roads" situation. Ran wide in a turn, went down in gravel on the side of the road. It could have been *much* worse, in many, many ways. If the bike (and me) would have slid much farther, it would have gone over the edge of an embankment and... well, it could have been ugly. :unsure:

I was extremely lucky. I was able to pick up the bike, brush myself off, tape together a spark plug and keep riding. Fortunately, it didn't spoil my trip at all. :D

If anybody else is interested, my pictures are here:

http://www.sepa-monster.org/members/jtucke...0206-deals_gap/

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

You've forgotten one poll vote possibility: none!

Just came back from a 1500 km trip. No problems what so ever...

I'm happy!!! :D

Jaap, you lucky dog!

I trust there are more out there with no problems.

Now that I have fixed most of my problems, I doubt reocurrences are likely. Now I just have to look forward to long term potential problems like worn out shafts, clutches, alternators, starters, etc. I hope the tachometer is not a repeating problem. For some people it was, but that was early on and Veglia may have ehausted their bad batch of tachs and speedos.

All the Guzzi owners I've spoken to say that if you pass the first 20/25k kms without major problems it will run forever.... Of course a lot of them are Cali owners but basically it's the same engine. So there's hope!

Dear all:

Finally, I got my detent spring frpm TLM and my bike is back and running now. Moto Guzzi North America has been useless and offers no help at all for all these almost 3 months of the down days.

I'd some starting problems before. The bike has a personality of its own. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it just quits. Luckily it always starts after some attemps. My previous dealer told me there is too much grease in the main switch box, and he'd cleaned it up. It helped. But, it happened again on my first day trip up the Adirondack Mountain. The V11 just won't start on a rest stop though the battery has plenty of juice. And, this time no luck at all after many tries. I had to ask my friend to give me a "push start."

As for the lemon law, I have no Moto Guzzi dealer near by and have to send my bike to non-Guzzi motor shop. They are not Guzzi dearler any more but have certified Guzzi mechanics. Looks like lemon law won't apply if my bike isn't under Guzzi dealership's control. Any suggestion?

Even with all these reported problems and some did happen to me, the feeling of riding Guzzi's V11 still tops any other bikes I had tried before. But, I guess there is a limit. I had had enough from the spring failure. If something major happen again, I will be really pissed. I am hoping that we could gather our efforts together to give Moto Guzzi a push on their quality and service problems.

LYL

Just curious, but are you sure that the broken spring in you transmission was the detent spring? What were exactly would your transmission not do. If it would not shift at all it would be the shifting pawl spring, if it would not stay in gear it would be the detent spring, and if the lever would not center it would be the shift lever spring. Most of the failures I am am aware of were the shifting pawl spring. I believe I have a pretty good idea why this spring fails.

Also, is the shop you are taking you bike to authorized to do warranty work? The lemon law may still apply. I believe the law applys to the manufacture rather than the dealer. Check the following link for lemon law info.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

Hank

Largest MG dealer in Europe: www.tlm.nl

Lots of parts in stock. Also mail order. Bought my V11LM there. Very satisfied with their service and MG knowledge

Give them a call if MGNA messes up.

:rolleyes:

I was in talking to my dealer this weekend (finally got the K75 sold, woo!), and one of the things they said was that they actually only order from MGNA as a last resort. They order from exporters in Italy and Holland first (probably TLM, as long as we're on the subject, although I don't recall that name being mentioned). The practical upshot? They tend to have parts for lower prices and with shorter wait times when they're not in stock.

For anyone who wants to contact them about long-wait parts, they're online at motointernational.com. I like them a lot, and they seem to get lots of non-local business. One of the co-owners, Dave Richardson, wrote "Guzziology," so they know what they're talking about.

No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm giving them money, not the other way 'round. :P

Guest v11eric

Lyl,

Great to hear youre bike is running again after far tomuch time. And for the starting problem, it's probably the killswitch that's stressing you, it happened to me for some time and after switchin off and on I heard the pump againe and could start. But this not willing to start didn't happen the last half year (curred itself??).

Eric 01 V11 Lemans