Leaking fuel pressure regulator

Admin Jaap

This afternoon I fired up the Moneypit for the 1st time in 4 months. It only took one attempt!

But... I suddenly noticed the fuel pressure regulator (that petcock thingy on the RH side) leaking like crazy. <_ probably a rubber ring that went south. btw it only leaks with running engine.>

Is there an easy fix w/o having to order new parts? I really want to ride tomorrow! :bike:

petcock.gif

Guest ratchethack

Jaap, I've never had a fuel pressure regulator apart, but I can well imagine its construction involves a spring working against line pressure with a pressure valve of some sort, probably very simple. I imagine it's leaking out the air pressure reference, the open tube sticking out of it?

Since riding tomorrow is the primary object, I'd drain the tank and have the little devil out on my bench for a thorough inspection. (You'll likely need it off regardless.) My expectation would be that something froze up during the 4 months of non-operation, just as you surmise. Possibly all it would take is a little "persuasion" to free it up.

PS Careful riding around the countryside. From wot I understand, it's better to keep a Guzzi on the TOP of dikes than over the side.:nl:;)

I hope there's no offense taken, Jaap. You see, I b'lieve I'm entitled to do dike-jumper jokes, my ancestors having all come from there. :cheese:

Have fun on the bench, but more fun tomorrow rounding the polders. :thumbsup:

No offence taken :D

Thanks for the input. Tomorrow morning I'll take it apart and let you know what's up. Should be quite straight forward.

Jaap,

If it is leaking from in between the two halves (C+D) in your illustration, there are o-rings in there that are easily replaced and likely of a common enough size to find at any auto supply. If the fuel is coming out of the lower nipple on "D" then the diaphragm has gone tits up and the only fix it to replace it. As Ratchet said, you might as well take apart and see. Good luck.

If it is leaking from in between the two halves (C+D) in your illustration, there are o-rings in there that are easily replaced and likely of a common enough size to find at any auto supply.

This is the case. Only problem: on sunday mornings it's quite hard to find o-rings...

<_ stop making fun of monique. she allright.>

Just a follow up: Took out the pressure regulator. Removing the circlip was easy but the regulator took some gentle persuasion to get loose. There are 2 O-rings, a small and a big one, both were o.k. There was some goo in there which apparently caused the leak, because when I cleaned and assembled it, the problem was solved.

I love simple fixes... :)