Does the hugger do anything useful ?

moscowphil

Took the hugger off my Scura today, for no particular reason - I just wanted to see what it looks like without it. I was amazed at the amount of road crap that was wedged between the hugger and the swing arm - seems designed to enure this will go rusty in no time. Also amazed at the amount of crap plastered all over my nice expensive Ohlins shock, which the stock hugger clearly does nothing to protect. So does the hugger do anything useful at all, or is it just a styling gimmick ? Personally I think it looks better without it, and at least now I can get at the shock and frame properly to clean them. Mind you, I might be tempted by a carbon hugger if I can find one (anyone know who sells them?).

Guest ratchethack

MockbaPhil, without modification, the stock hugger is nearly useless. But IMHO it can be made very effective with a bit of bodgery, see below as previously discussed in post #60 in this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...4893&st=45#

The thread is a discussion of an alternative to the stock hugger that also provides some protection. :sun:

post-1212-1178201721_thumb.jpg

Either mg cycle or harpers carries a carbon hugger for about $300 USD. I also took of my hugger and am in the process of painting it red to match my LM. If it looks to squidish then I'll remove it for good.

. . . Mind you, I might be tempted by a carbon hugger if I can find one (anyone know who sells them?).

Ah ha! Another chance to showcase my original, especially attractive carbon fiber hugger for the V11! :drink:

cfhuggerrepsol.jpg

Starboardqtr.jpg

Starboardbeam.jpg

Buy it here if you gotta da money!

Clicky Picky

AM3010.jpg

OR,

Buy it for half price, like I did, on ebay:

Clicky dis picky

BUls6yQmkKGrHgoH-C8EjlLlykEBKOR4PiS.jpg

the aftermarket ones work as good as the original, NOT.

Just imagine a rotating wheel, with water on, how does it loose it's water,

Don't ride in the rain.

If that's not possible, move! :drink:

Guest ratchethack

Say Orangeokie -- that's a right purty piece o' bling, alright.

But it looks even skimpier than the stock hugger. :unsure:

How does it measure up to the title of this thread? :huh2:

Enquiring minds (well, you know. . .) ;)

The stock hugger needs in addition a mud guard below the lower shock mount. I cut one from plastic material to fit into the triangle formed by the struts from the shock mount to the left and right of the swing arm. Simply fixed by cable ties.

Simple, invisible from outside and very effective.

Gearbox and shock remain dry in case of rain.

If you want a really effective hugger, get the aftermarket one for the 1100 Sports/Daytonas. It's available from Moto Intl. in both fiberglass (unpainted) and carbon.

The one made for the V11 Sports is what I have on my bike. It works good only if augmented with an improvised rubber flap for the front.

PICT0020.jpg

This shows the hugger and the rubber flap at the front. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the 1100 Sport hugger.